The Beauty of Ballet Royal Albert Hall Wed 10 Nov

Looks like it’s music from the ballet supported with dancers from Birmingham Royal Ballet with what looks like various pas de deux pieces. 
It has been re scheduled from November 2020 so don’t know what the state of the ticket sales are. 
Certainly some lovely music being played. 
It’s not until the 10th November though 

Edited by LinMM

On 08/11/2021 at 16:54, Jan McNulty said:

It is the second time that BRB will have participated in this event.  I gather the first one was a delightful evening.  Obviously COVID has been in the way since.

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/the-beauty-of-ballet

Yes, I went the first time - in 2019  - and shall be going again tomorrow. I will report back! 

• Like 4

As promised, my report on The Beauty of the Ballet. It was a very pleasant evening. Whereas 2 years ago the programme was all Tchaikovsky, this time there was greater variety of composers, all Russian. Principals and soloists from Birmingham Royal Ballet performed Swan Lake Act II pdd (Celine Gittens and Brandon Lawrence- both excellent); Nutcracker grand pdd (Yu Kurihara and Lachlan Monaghan); Don Quixote Act III pdd (a fortaste of next year’s BRB production, danced here by Beatrice  Parma and Mathias Dingman); the MacMillan Romeo and Juliet balcony pdd (Yaoquin Shang and Max Maslen) and finally the Balanchine Tchaikovsky pdd (Momoko Hirata and Cesar Morales). 
In addition, there were several orchestra-only pieces, notably the Spartacus and Phrygia adagio and the 1812 overture, which somewhat randomly (since it’s not ballet music) closed the show. I suppose it’s used for its popularity and impact as a literal showstopper. The orchestra, conducted by Barry Wordsworth, was in great form, especially (in my view) in the Spartacus piece. Although this pdd was not danced, I could visualise in my mind watching the ballet on the Covent Garden stage,  as I did a few years ago. I find the music thrilling even without the choreography.

Another highlight was the participation of second year students from the Royal Ballet school who performed the Garland waltz  from Sleeping Beauty. They did very well, especially given that the stage didn’t look all that roomy for eight couples. This was the first time the students had performed at this event, and it was lovely to watch them.

From a ballet point of view, I suppose it was an experience akin to a gala. I didn’t have the best view as the seats my friend, who organised our trip, bought are behind the stage! However, we are reasonably close, and I was very impressed particularly by the way the Romeo and Juliet pair really got into the characters of their roles just for the one pdd extrapolated from the full work. The Don Q pdd is anyway great gala fare, as is the Balanchine. I don’t think the audience were all necessarily big ballet fans like me, the lady next to me told me she had seen Swan Lake once. I couldn’t even tell her how many times I have seen it as I lost count a while ago! But the audience were appreciative and gave dancers and orchestra a standing ovation at the end, so it ended with a happy atmosphere. Perhaps it will encourage people to buy tickets for other BRB performances? 
I am happy I went and will go again because it is a great opportunity for those of us who live in London and the south east to see some BRB principals in action. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, AnneL said:

In addition, there were several orchestra-only pieces, notably the Spartacus and Phrygia adagio and the 1812 overture, which somewhat randomly (since it’s not ballet music) closed the show.

I am still unable to listen to the 1812 Overture without reliving the prolonged and painful birth of my eldest, for which the attending nurse, for some bizarre reason, decided that this was the piece of music that would relieve the ordeal. I have never been able to listen to it in the same light since.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I am still unable to listen to the 1812 Overture without reliving the prolonged and painful birth of my eldest, for which the attending nurse, for some bizarre reason, decided that this was the piece of music that would relieve the ordeal. I have never been able to listen to it in the same light since.

😱

• Like 2

That looked like a very good evening and a lovely selection of dancers too. 

Scheherezade another 😱 from me!!

Does your eldest have any particular connection to the 1812 ....like it instantly brings on a panic attack or the like lol! 

Just now, Scheherezade said:

Scheherezade another 😱 from me!!

Does your eldest have any particular connection to the 1812 ....like it instantly brings on a panic attack or the like lol! 

It certainly gives me a panic attack. Forever associated with childbirth of the worst sort. Luckily my eldest was well worth it. 😉

• Like 1