Ashton Rediscovered - ROH 27 October 2021

What did people think of this show (which thankfully was filmed and will, it was said, going to be on YouTube in a few weeks)?

From another thread, hope ok to copy across to a new thread:

>>Highlights for me were Ball's Fisherman solo and the striking Hamlet with Bracewell and Hayward - looking forward to their Swan Lake.

• Like 2

It was brilliant. Much more than a feast, for me it was a banquet of Ashton ballet and RB & BRB ballet dancers at their best. It is unfair that I single out particular dancers but I will say that I never expected to see the sublime William Bracewell dance both Romeo & Hamlet in the same week. Looking forward to reliving it all in a few weeks on the live stream. 

D8F909D2-5E9B-40F6-A9EC-C767C31B2289.png

• Like 10

Will there be plenty of notice for the live stream?  Any idea how long it will remain on line when it eventually arrives?  More than 24 hours, I hope.  Sod's Law will dictate that I am travelling if it is only there for one day.

10 minutes ago, RosiesDream said:

What did they rediscover? They do an Ashton Retrospective every year? - I'm not complaining, just interested, as it's well-trodden ground

what was interesting (to me anyway) was them showing the processes they go through to reconstruct a piece; from tatty old film clips, raiding people's memories - including dancers who had worked directly with Sir Fred, to those dancers who were taught by other dancers who had been taught by Sir Fred, the 'second generation' of passing along the knowledge (as it were). And then trying to get it all notated!

• Like 7

Sounds fascinating. 

This passing on of knowledge can be priceless. 
I know a couple of ex RB Company dancers who say that some things are now getting lost in some Macmillan Ballets as they worked directly with him and this can lose ...what would have been for him...some important nuance of a Piece. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

ex RB Company dancers who say that some things are now getting lost in some Macmillan Ballets as they worked directly with him and this can lose ...what would have been for him...some important nuance of a Piece. 

yes, they talked about the nuances of the steps (for Sir Fred); each step not only being performed correctly, but emoted too - though dancers often allowed to find their own way in this respect, as long as the overall effect was maintained. Vadim Muntagirov gave a very good example of that, when he talked about the solo on the empty stage/auditorium (title escapes me) he did during lockdown.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

And then trying to get it all notated!

...which apparently takes many hours per minute of dancing 😲

Given the number of different pieces performed within the first hour, most were pretty short vignettes - so plaudits for all the dancers nevertheless being prepared to put all the work  needed for this  event. 

In this regard, the prize for  pure dedication in terms of attendance  must go to Momoko Hirata and Cesar Morales from BRB who danced the Dante piece (topical!) for what seemed like only a minute or so.

The somewhat longer piece was Hamlet and Orphelia at the end of the live dancing section, beautifully danced by Hayward and Bracewell as mentioned above, after introductions from Wayne Eagling (the original Hamlet in this) and designer Sarah Armstrong-Jones. 

I also particularly loved the  opening live dance, Foyer de Danse which I gather  was based on Degas's studies of Paris dancers,  and portrays an encounter between a dancer (originally Markova) and her lascivious admirers. This showcased a group of the younger RB ballerinas, with Ginerva Zambon  to the fore. Also Leo Dixon and Joseph Sissens must be mentioned for their excellent bravura display, dancing a  duet from Swan Lake, and Anna Rose O'Sullivan, delightful as ever in the solo from Sylvia.

The "Links in the Chain" film was very enjoyable and interesting, interspersing  early footage of  some of Ashton's best known works with footage from the same pieces as recently performed. Various fascinating   interviews with the likes of David Bintley, Wayne Sleep, Anthony Dowell, Lynn Seymour, Antoinette Sibley, Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov - the latter particularly moving as he spoke about his lockdown performance of  "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" -  reaching out to an empty auditorium using the emotion felt from missing his parents - and about keeping in his heart all he was learning about Ashton's work.

I could have happily watched  the same approach to Ashton's legacy developed further  in a film three times as long!

• Like 13

Thanks for filling in more detail Richard - I was a bit rushed when I posted, so my post was a bit scant to say the least! 🙂

And agree with all your points - especially the film being longer and so covering more. It was an utter delight to my eyes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Will there be plenty of notice for the live stream?  Any idea how long it will remain on line when it eventually arrives?  More than 24 hours, I hope.  Sod's Law will dictate that I am travelling if it is only there for one day.

no other details given. perhaps keep an eye on the ROH website &/or soc media for updates 

• Like 1

It was a jewel of an evening, in respect of both the live performances and the film, beautifully and lovingly compiled by Lynne Wakes, and the time absolutely flew by.

The groupings in Foyer de Danse were, indeed, pure Degas. Then again, as they moved and struck a pose, each of the dancers looked for all the world like miniature ballerinas on a jewellery box.

Each of the pieces was a delight to watch but I would agree that the two stand-out pieces were Matthew Ball's Fisherman's Solo - he really does have a charismatic on-stage presence - and Bracewell and Hayward's mesmerising performance in Hamlet and Ophelia. Hayward is so suited to this type of role, the chemistry between them was palpable and Bracewell's angst-ridden Hamlet was like a calling card for the next run of Mayerling.

With live performances of this quality, nostalgic recordings from the recent and not so recent past, reminiscences, reflections and little snippets of fascinating information, it truly was an evening to savour and I do so hope that the live stream follows very soon.

• Like 16

Marvellous to have so much Ashton on show. Did all the performances show his work to best advantage? Perhaps not but every single one was worth our time and attention.

The marvellous clips we were shown of performers from the past were the greatest of treats, particularly as many of the clips are so rare and the dancing was so good and so idiomatic (and generally faster than we have got used to from the company).

Two incidental points which emerged during the evening might be worth highlighting here:

- When Ashton was making The Dream he was so concerned for things to be as clear as possible that he kept bringing people in during the rehearsal process, to ask if they understood what they were seeing

- One modern dancer said in passing that they couldn't dance at the speed of the performers who created the ballets.

The film was very good (a little over-intercut in places) and I hope the Foundation will make it available.

In any case I much look forward to seeing everything again on the live stream. So much to learn from and enjoy. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

- When Ashton was making The Dream he was so concerned for things to be as clear as possible that he kept bringing people in during the rehearsal process, to ask if they understood what they were seeing

Something that our present day choreographers should take to heart. 

• Like 14

Nice tribute to the Ballet Association in an email just received from the ROH:

THANK YOU TO THE BALLET ASSOCIATION

This week we celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Frederick Ashton Foundation with an Insight exploring the genius of Frederick Ashton. And thanks to The Ballet Association we were able to film it to share with our Friends and Supporters next month. Keep an eye on our social media and website for the date.

The Ballet Association was formed nearly 50 years ago to support the Royal Ballet Companies and School. The Association has regular meetings with dancers, choreographers, etc., and various events including an annual dinner, visits to the Royal Ballet Upper School, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Elmhurst Ballet School, and, in recent years, a studio rehearsal with the Royal Ballet.

The Association regularly sponsors the Royal Ballet’s Draft Works programmes. This season the Association has also supported the Ashton Rediscovered performance in the Linbury Theatre, so enabling it to be streamed. Information about The Ballet Association, including a membership form, can be found on their website www.balletassociation.co.uk

• Like 7

On 29/10/2021 at 17:17, bridiem said:

THANK YOU TO THE BALLET ASSOCIATION

This week we celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Frederick Ashton Foundation with an Insight exploring the genius of Frederick Ashton. And thanks to The Ballet Association we were able to film it to share with our Friends and Supporters next month. Keep an eye on our social media and website for the date.

Friends and Supporters? Does this mean it won't be generally available?

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 11:30, Geoff said:

- One modern dancer said in passing that they couldn't dance at the speed of the performers who created the ballets.

T

Did they say why?  After all, everyone tells us that dancers today are technically so much more accomplished than those in Ashton's day.  It should be really easy for them!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Did they say why?  After all, everyone tells us that dancers today are technically so much more accomplished than those in Ashton's day.  It should be really easy for them!

He didn’t, no (it was an offhand remark). I won’t venture a guess as to what he was referring to but people here have in the past commented that “different” is not always the same as “better”. And there is a strong case made for Cecchetti training, for example by Julie Cronshaw in her recent YouTube film.

In any case the archive film shown during the evening made its own case. It will be interesting to hear what others think once it has been live streamed.

• Like 2

some of the archive film showed the dancers of the time in no way in unison (I noticed this a lot in Symphonic Variations); and as has often been said on the forum, the angle of leg lifts a lot lower (so less time taken to travel) - a different aesthetic, to be sure. For me, this 'quickness' and lack of follow though (for want of a better term) was actually less expressive, especially outside of the lead dancer(s). Perhaps i'm just used to modern dancers, so that's what I like

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

some of the archive film showed the dancers of the time in no way in unison (I noticed this a lot in Symphonic Variations);

My (failing) memory is that the Symphonic Variations footage was of a rehearsal. 

Edited by Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2021 at 13:22, Jane S said:

Friends and Supporters? Does this mean it won't be generally available?

The Frederick Ashton Foundation has emailed to say that the Insight 'will be streamed free of charge by the ROH on its social platforms this coming Wednesday 24 November. It will be available to view for several weeks.' And the documentary film will then be available to view on the Foundation’s website: https://youtu.be/9BDNX79JwkQ

• Like 7

I think that we have to understand that the "improved technique" is largely an idea that comes from watching recordings of great female dancers who were active during the fifties, sixties and seventies and seeing that the dancers concerned are not performing steps in the way they are done now. If change  takes place in front of you over a number of years you tend not to notice that change is occurring . Your eye becomes accustomed to the change without you noticing it and the new quickly becomes the norm, while the traditional way of performing steps and use of epaulement soon comes to be seen as hopelessly old fashioned and staid. The aesthetic shift is complete when you find a recording of an exceptionally musical dancer from the past who makes every movement look effortlessly normal and natural;performs low classical arabesques in a way that Petipa would almost certainly have admired and seems to have all the time in the world to dance the text with the music played at near concert hall speed and instead of admiring the artistry and musicality on display the performance is dismissed with "Well she was over forty and you can see that she was a bit past it because her arabesques are far too low".

I think you have to remember that the way in which ballet is taught has altered radically over the years. If you watch the recording "Teaching the de Valois 1947 Syllabus" you will find the young dancers who were involved commenting on the difference in the approach required with the old syllabus compared with what they are accustomed to doing in class today. The 1947 syllabus requires them to think ahead  because some of the exercises involve performing combinations of steps to a piece of music which requires the dancers to be constantly shifting their weight and thinking ahead rather than completing each step individually and then adjusting their weight in order to do the next step. The students comment on how integrated everything seems to be in the old syllabus and on there being less strain on the body when performing the exercises. I think that at some point in the Ashton Foundation film Dowell unconsciously endorses the old approach when he tells the dancer he is coaching to think about the steps  in terms of sentences rather than individual words. Watching the 1947 Syllabus film reminds me of Nijinska's reported comment  on dancing being what happens between the steps.

As to the speed at which dancers perform that too is largely a question of fashion and shifting aesthetics. The great go slow is partly the result of the way in which ballet is taught in the classroom bleeding into performance style, as some dancers find it difficult to adjust to the idea that how a step should be danced when performing a specific ballet may be very different from what they are used to doing in class. Finally there is the fashion for holding poses rather than passing through positions which some older dancers refer to as "photo opportunities". While there are ballets such as Symphonic Variations where the rehearsals begin with slower tempi than will be danced in performance and speed up over the course of rehearsals they are relatively few such works for the main part I think that the interest in dancing slowly is essentially a combination of changes in teaching methods and the current fashionable aesthetic.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, FLOSS said:

The aesthetic shift is complete when you find a recording of an exceptionally musical dancer from the past who makes every movement look effortlessly normal and natural;performs low classical arabesques in a way that Petipa would almost certainly have admired and seems to have all the time in the world to dance the text with the music played at near concert hall speed and instead of admiring the artistry and musicality on display the performance is dismissed with "Well she was over forty and you can see that she was a bit past it because her arabesques are far too low".

Oh, those comments really, really annoy me.  Especially when accompanied by "I can dance better than that and I am only 15".  

• Like 3