Royal Ballet: Giselle casting update, Autumn 2021

Published casts now include Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis. Some interesting  choices. Full list:

Thursday 4 November 2021 7:30

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri

Friday 5 November 2021 12:30  Schools Only

Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Julia Roscoe

Friday 5 November 2021 7:30pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, Federico Bonelli, Claire Calvert

Monday 8 November 2021 7:30pm

Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov, Mayara Magri

Wednesday 10 November 2021 7:30pm

Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Marianela Nuñez

Friday 12 November 2021 7:30pm

Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke, Mayara Magri

Thursday 18 November 2021 7:30pm

Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov, Mayara Magri

Friday 19 November 2021  12:30pm

Akane Takada, Cesar Corrales, Annette Buvoli

Saturday 20 November 2021  1:30pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, Federico Bonelli, Julia Roscoe

Saturday 20 November 2021 7:30pm  "LIVE" STREAM filmed  but shown from 03 December

Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball, Marianela Nuñez

Monday 22 November 2021  7:30pm

Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell, Claire Calvert

Wednesday 24 November 2021  12:30pm

Sarah Lamb, Marcelino Sambé, Gina Storm-Jensen

Saturday 27 November 2021  11:30am

Laura Morera, Ryoichi Hirano, Gina Storm-Jensen

Saturday 27 November 2021 5:00pm

Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell, Claire Calvert

Wednesday 1 December 2021  7:30pm

Akane Takada, Cesar Corrales, Annette Buvoli

Thursday 2 December 2021  7:30pm

Sarah Lamb, Marcelino Sambé, Gina Storm-Jensen

Friday 3 December 2021  7:30pm

Laura Morera, Ryoichi Hirano, Claire Calvert

• Like 12

Just going to say Rob R Julia getting a chance at Myrthe is great news so pleased for her. 
I was only going once to Giselle on the 19th but would love to have seen her debut and unfortunately her other date is the 20th so will only have been the day before. But how exciting!! 

• Like 2

Well that is good news! 
Julia is one of a few young dancers I circled in a programme because I thought they looked particularly promising ( though all were pretty good that year) when she was in an Upper School performance at the RBS some years back now. Unfortunately she has been injured for a while so it’s nice to see her not only back dancing again but getting a plum role like this. 

• Like 3

Part of me is really pleased that the dates I have booked cover Magri, Nunez & Calvert, all of whom I'd like to see in the role. The other part of me is trying not to get excited because it'll now be even more annoying if I can't go depending on what covid does in November. Oh and there's also a third part regretting that I won't be seeing Storm-Jensen.

It's going to be a real headache trying to work out which pairing you want to see with which Myrtha ...

And of course I don't have anything like an even distribution of my Myrthas :( .   And the ticket I was going to give up because I had a clash is now the one of the two which has a Myrtha I want to see ...

• Like 1

Very good to see the updated casting. Again it was very difficult to choose but of the five Giselles I opted for, the one I’m most looking forward to seeing is Laura Morera. I see there are still plenty of tickets for her two performances - she is a truly wonderful dancer and, whilst I hope she continues dancing for a long time, opportunities to see her may diminish.

• Like 11

I know casting is an ever-present preoccupation of this forum, but  i was just musing on the fact that for me casting is more important for some ballets than for others- perhaps more important for Giselle than almost any other? so it is good to have this information even if it makes life even more complicated....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

Very good to see the updated casting. Again it was very difficult to choose but of the five Giselles I opted for, the one I’m most looking forward to seeing is Laura Morera. I see there are still plenty of tickets for her two performances - she is a truly wonderful dancer and, whilst I hope she continues dancing for a long time, opportunities to see her may diminish.

I noticed that Laura has been credited as a creative in Swan Lake; I hope that I am reading too much into it but I fear you might be right. I have been booking at least one show for every production she is announced in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

I noticed that Laura has been credited as a creative in Swan Lake; I hope that I am reading too much into it but I fear you might be right. I have been booking at least one show for every production she is announced in.

And she's been involved in the staging of Romeo & Juliet.

On 25/10/2021 at 17:38, Jamesrhblack said:

Indeed and for Annette Buvoli too, but no Tierney Heap or, indeed, Fumi Kaneko, who was so splendid last time. 

Also disappointed not to see Kaneko. And I haven’t seen a lot of Heap on stage and I know she’s been unlucky with injury but agree this could have been a great role for her and would be keen to see her more. 

Also would have loved to have seen O’Sullivan, Morera and Hamilton give the role a go too. But you can’t cast everyone obviously!

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

Echo a lot of this - really think she’ll be fantastic in the role. 

• Like 3

Tierney Heap has danced Myrthe and was wonderful in the role, as we’d expect!  I am very blessed to be seeing all the Myrthes listed above.  Bravo to Kevin O’Hare for giving lower-ranked dancers this chance.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Tierney Heap has danced Myrthe and was wonderful in the role, as we’d expect!  I am very blessed to be seeing all the Myrthes listed above.  Bravo to Kevin O’Hare for giving lower-ranked dancers this chance.  

Yes, she was stunning. I assume that it's too early post-injury for her to be cast as Myrthe yet, but I really hope she will be able to revisit the role next time.

• Like 3

Link to Rehearsal cast list here: https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Giselle/3.11.21-Giselle-General-v5.pdf

The ROH have posted some great recent rehearsal pictures on Flickr of Naghdi/Ball, Takada/ Corrales, Lamb/Sambe, and Osipova/Clarke

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72157720059666061

• Like 9