new to all this!!!!

linz

Hi am new to all this, my daughter has dance for 9 year and has done shows at the local panto and PA centre.

I was ask by her dance teacher to go foward for audition for dance schools, so we have one with royal in jan and just sent the forms of for elmhurst. so any advice we be great as i have not go a clue, my worry is at the mo she in in panto and wounder what i can do to get her ballet fit for audtion as she has 33 show and will be worn out come jan thanks linz.

• Like 4

Welcome Linz :)

There's lots of advice on here about auditions - have a search round some old threads. Try not to worry about being tired for the audition in January - the audition itself isn't too taxing - a good night's sleep the night before will be fine!! As hfbrew said - how old is she? How much/what typ eof ballet experience has she got?

• Like 1

You might like to look at what Hammond and Tring have to offer too - not sure from your post if your dd would be interested. It's always worth a look and a visit if you can manage it, but if you apply for an audition, you will possibly get the chance to see quite a lot and you will certainly get the feel of a place.

• Like 1

Welcome Linz :)

There's lots of advice on here about auditions - have a search round some old threads. Try not to worry about being tired for the audition in January - the audition itself isn't too taxing - a good night's sleep the night before will be fine!! As hfbrew said - how old is she? How much/what typ eof ballet experience has she got?

Hi she is 12 and has been dacing ballet , tap , moden ,jazz for 9 year and has just started a master class in ballet which is an extra class a week

Try not to let her get all worked up over auditioning - just enjoy it as a wonderful experience in it's own right (and have a little present in your bag to give her when she comes out).

Maybe have a word with her teacher and see what she suggests about getting her 'match fit' before the auditions too.

• Like 2

My DD had an Audition for RB two years ago which gave us a great understanding of the process. We were very under prepared. The following year my daughter auditioned for another school and was successful mainly because we were armed as a family with the experience of the first audition. The success at the second time I feel was due to a reduction of the pressure on my daughter as we had the attitude that the audition was a "look in the door" of what happens inside a performing arts school. Essentially interview / audition practice. She relaxed, enjoyed herself and smiled which I think made the biggest difference over her technique. A happy child with a smile I think is the most important. (Just an opinion). Good luck.

• Like 3

To be relaxed and therefor able to peform is very important. But I think for 6th form audition a strong techique is crucial before a smile, but if you are relaxed on top of that, then it just draws the pannels eyes to watch you even more.

• Like 1

Have you thought about associate classes? These are once a week and give a great insight into the audition process. My daughter is doing Junior associates and has spent the last 3 months going through what to expect in a RB audition. Your daughter would be eligible for Mid associates although the applications have closed for 2013 entry. Northern ballet associates are auditioning next year if you are near Leeds and they also take for the CAT scheme in Leeds which is professional ballet training for those who don't want to go to vocational school so after school and weekends.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Im also after a bit of help with regards to auditions. I have sent in forms for Elmhurst and received an email in november saying that my daughters name is on the list for the audition on Jan 11th and that they'd be in touch before Christmas with more details. Just realised a few days ago that i have recieved no further details. Im really wanting to make travel arrangements and book a hotel but have no idea what sort of time the audition will be or any other details, and,of course, the school is now closed untill the new year, so can't get hold of anyone. I'm now getting quite worried that some post has gone astray, was wondering if anyone else is auditioning then and has, or hasn't, heard any more?

I would be very grateful for any snippet of info at this point