Arts Ed - ‘Overly sexualised environment’

Blue Box Ballet

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/artsed-principal-resigns-after-damning-report-into-schools-sexualised-environment?utm_content=bufferf2bfd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1MGoZkQtzX9Ze6OTemcznLl30HC63zWf_4Mh6NYIw9Q5BGYvV9KUXF7KY

ArtsEd principal Chris Hocking has resigned following an external investigation into allegations of serious misconduct at the drama school, which the board has acknowledged were the result of “a misguided culture” made worse by a “failure in leadership”. 

The resulting report, a summary of which has been published by the school’s board, found there was an “overly sexualised environment” in the school of musical theatre at ArtsEd, and that some staff had inappropriate relationships with students, breaching the school’s policies.

According to the board, the investigation – led independently by Rebecca Tuck QC – looked into allegations of serious historic misconduct against current and former staff members. Affected students were 18 or over and the incidents investigated mostly occurred during the period between 2012 and 2017 in the school of musical theatre.

[...]

I guess this now explains this email from the ISTD earlier in the year. 

The Trustees of the Society and I wish to inform you that Chris Hocking, Chair of the Society, has taken a temporary leave of absence from his role at ISTD. In his absence, Vice Chairs Erin Sanchez and Frederick Way will serve as Acting Co-Chairs.

• Like 1

Knowing some of the people involved I'd say this isn't the last we have heard of this.   It's worth noting that Twitter was particularly interesting to read when the production of Glastonbury Joseph was cancelled. A feeble excuse about casting diversity was made.

Edited by Jewel

More lessons to be learnt and for parents to be aware of

https://artsed001.blob.core.windows.net/published/Statement_from_ArtsEd_Board_of_Trustees_22_October_2021.pdf

https://artsed001.blob.core.windows.net/published/Rebecca_Tuck_QC_Public_Statement_22_October_2021.pdf

I had heard rumours of the lap dancing,  'naked bond' dance classes and 'wear what you dare' sessions but to see it confirmed in an official report is just unbelievable.

I see my earlier reply has been removed so I apologise if I crossed the line on forum rules. 
I feel I should point out that I didn’t name anyone in particular.

Some connected to Arts Ed and the musical theatre industry have long spoken in hush tones about related historical incidents. 

I am following this story with interest. 

• Like 1