News about Phoenix Dance Theatre

Phoenix Dance Theatre today announced that Artistic Director, Dane Hurst, will step away from his role at the end of November 2021 after a period of extraordinary artistic leadership.

South African-born Hurst took up the post in early 2021 and during his time with the Company has guided the Dance Theatre to a level of creative prominence through innovative programmes and productions, including an exciting series of works to celebrate its 40th anniversary in November.

Dane Hurst said: “It is with a heavy heart that I’m stepping away from my role as Artistic Director with Phoenix Dance Theatre. I would like to thank the Board of Trustees and Arts Council England for supporting me in leading the company through the recent pandemic; I am proud of what we’ve achieved, and excited for what’s been put in place as the company forges its way into another 40 years of history. There is much to celebrate and so much more to come from Phoenix. The plans are ambitious, and the future is bright, however, this pandemic has thrown everything into flux and taken so much from and out of us. With this in mind, I’ve decided to return to support my family in South Africa during this challenging time. In my absence I would like to wish the company every success.”

The Board of Directors added: “On behalf of all at Phoenix Dance Theatre, we would like to thank Dane for his strong leadership and exceptional creativity through what has been an incredibly tough year. Dane has been such an influential part of our artistic journey, and we wish him much happiness as he devotes more time to his family back home in South Africa.”

https://www.phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk/news/artistic-director-dane-hurst-to-step-away-from-his-role-at-phoenix-dance-theatre/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I was amazed, too, Jan. Very strange. He's still around as I saw him at York on Tuesday, talking intently to Cassa Pancho of Ballet Black.

The email announces a new Chair and the new mixed bill; I booked  a while back for its premiere in York. It combines pieces from different phases of Phoenix's 40 year history, including works by Ben Duke, Darshan Singh Bhuller and Henri Oguike Smith and ends with that tremendous solo by Jane Dudley, Harmonica Breakdown.

23 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

The email announces a new Chair and the new mixed bill; I booked  a while back for its premiere in York. It combines pieces from different phases of Phoenix's 40 year history, including works by Ben Duke, Darshan Singh Bhuller and Henri Oguike Smith and ends with that tremendous solo by Jane Dudley, Harmonica Breakdown.

Harmonica Breakdown - it really is tremendous and I haven't seen it in years. Sounds like a great mixed bill.

So sorry to hear of Dane Hurst's departure.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to News about Phoenix Dance Theatre

I picked up a very worrying article from The Stage about the near future for Phoenix Dance Theatre.

As far as I can see the company is in negotiation with Equity about laying off dancers until 2023...

You can register for The Stage to read three articles per month free of charge.  The article is in Today's Links:

There's a response on the Phoenix website:

https://www.phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk/news/statement-19-may-2022/

• Thanks 2

Thanks for highlighting this worrying development Janet.

Tickets have been on sale for several months now for 2 performances in York in the autumn. Presumably they are now unlikely to go ahead.

The news is desperately disappointing given the wonderful programme of works from their history that they have recently presented and the excellent gala they gave in Leeds to celebrate their 40th anniversary.

It is not clear what Dane Hurst's position is. The website has continued to list him as artistic director, and he is scheduled to develop a new work for the company in association with Northern Opera. But his departure was announced some months back, on the grounds that he needed to return to South Africa for family and artistic reasons. A couple of insiders I have mentioned it to have been very tightlipped. Very worrying altogether.

Oh dear 🥲

This was a company I’d earmarked to try see I’m my recent new journey beyond traditional ballet!

It all seems rather underhand & unnecessary based on company reputation & the recent funding…. Is there things yet to come to light? 
I hope the dancers & company employees soon find new fulfilling roles. 
That £100 a week ‘retainer’ seems laughable; it would barely fund even enough classes in a week to keep a dancer fit! Let alone live!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is an article in the on-line Leeds Live.  There was a demonstration outside the HQ yesterday.

Phoenix has issued an updated release (after the original one was withdrawn from the company's website) but I can only find it in this feature and not yet on the company website.  Scroll down to see it. It looks as though the company has stopped the "pausing of dancers":

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/live-phoenix-dance-theatre-protest-24032787

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A regular update email from Phoenix had a link to this item on the company's website.

I've read it twice and I can't really make head or tail of it.  The item talks about continuing the 40th Anniversary celebrations but there are no performances planned for 2022...

https://www.phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk/news/next-chapter-for-phoenix/

"As we celebrate the last 40 years, the next chapter in our history is just beginning!

Last month, our performance of 40 Years of Phoenix in Newcastle marked the end of an incredible, and critically acclaimed tour. Since its premiere at York Theatre Royal in November 2021 to mark the beginning of our 40th anniversary celebrations, we were delighted to perform at 11 different venues to a total audience of nearly 4,500 people. Thank you to each and every one of you who came to join in the birthday party. 

We may be hanging up our party hats for now, but we are delighted that our birthday celebrations will continue through the remainder of our anniversary year. We can’t wait to update you about our plans, and more of what the company have been working towards, in the coming months – we think you are going to captivated by our walk (or should that be dance?) down memory lane!  

On the back of our tour celebrating Phoenix’s remarkable four decades, and as we come out of a period of unrest with the pandemic, we find ourselves in a natural period of reflection. For Phoenix to thrive we need to ensure that we make the right changes to address the challenges we have faced and to take advantage of the many opportunities before us.  

To give us time and capacity to review what the company can – and should – offer, we have taken the difficult decision to pause touring and live performance for the remainder of 2022. We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause. Phoenix is a small organisation with a modest staff base, so this will give us the much-needed opportunity to redeploy resources to allow for a period of strategic reflection, detailed planning, and stakeholder engagement. 

We want to remain loyal to our roots and heritage, as well as enabling the company to grow. It is our aim to deliver dance where it is needed, responding to the changing cultural context and what audiences want to see from us in the future. With a refreshed focus we can ensure that Phoenix continues to be a vital and vibrant contributor to the dance sector, both nationally and internationally. 

As Jennifer Coleman-Peers, CEO, explains: “There are few contemporary dance companies that have had the impact that Phoenix Dance Theatre has had over its 40-year history. From its earliest days in Harehills the company has been pioneering in its practice and steadfast in its commitment to providing opportunities for professional and emerging artists, as well as for children and young people.  

Our ambition for the future is equally bold. The past two years have been incredibly tough for Phoenix, as indeed they have been for the whole sector. As we come out the other side of the pandemic, we need to take stock and re-connect with our audiences. We will be engaging with all our key stakeholders, from the young people we work with, to the venues we perform in, and we would love to hear from you. In light of the feedback we receive, we will review the scope of our work, our strategic goals and plans, and will set a course for the future.” 

In the next few months, we will be embarking on a period of engagement with key stakeholders including company members, education partners, communities, funders, and industry peers. We are delighted to confirm that Dane Hurst will be a part of the team leading this and he will be spearheading dance sector engagement as part of this period of strategic review – it is essential for the company that his artistic voice leads this part of the process. Dane will also continue to work with us on the remainder of our birthday celebration activities this year. 

Dane Hurst shared his thoughts: “There is so much love and support for Phoenix in the dance community within Leeds, across the country and internationally. Even through challenging times for the company, it is heart-warming to see so much individual and organisational support and backing for Phoenix to boldly move into the future. I am honoured to be welcomed back to be a part of this very important period of reflection and strategic review and I look forward to engaging with the incredible artists, directors, audience members, sector leaders and funders who make up this industry.”  

And we will want to hear from you – our loyal audiences! You too will play an important role in this process. We look forward to hearing your thoughts and hopes for our future. More information will follow about how you can get involved so keep an eye on your inbox for updates. 

With everyone’s input and support it is our aim to ensure that Phoenix has the vision, focus, resources and resilience to deliver another incredible 40 years of dance. We thank you for your continued support of Phoenix and we cannot wait to return to the stage next year and share the start of our next exciting chapter in our history with you. "

I suppose the idea is that they will continue to 'celebrate' but by doing things other than touring and live performances... I just hope they can keep potential audiences - and the dancers - engaged until they do start performing again.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Thanks for the info. I've just booked good stalls tickets for £20 each as part of Opera North's 'Try it ON' scheme, as I've never booked to see Opera North at Leeds Grand before. 

Lucky you. I, too, was inspired by theorist's posting to book, for the opening night, and was surprised I had to pay £75 (with a slight reduction for being elderly- rare to get that nowadays at a theatre!) for a seat in the upper circle. I didn't know of the Try it On scheme but wouldn't have been eligible as I booked for Opera North and Phoenix for Dane's West Side Story: Symphonic Dances last autumn. In addition to having been one of the most eloquent dancers of his generation he is a gifted choreographer so it is excellent news that this project is still going ahead despite all the changes that Phoenix, and he, are undergoing.

• 6 months later...
On 30/04/2023 at 09:47, Jan McNulty said:

I received an email from Phoenix with various news items including:

The search for a new artistic director:  https://www.phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk/news/phoenix-launches-search-for-its-next-artistic-director-announces-new-trustees/

I hope Phoenix can recruit somebody very exciting to take this company forward.

What I did find a bit depressing is that they have a larger board of trustees than they do dancers (a total of 8 dancers featured on their website). 

• Like 2