World Ballet Day 2021 - discussion

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been glued to the YouTube Bolshoi thread for a couple of hours now!  It's so good to have the chance to hear what the dancers have to say and there is an excellent translator in the person of the beautiful soloist Ana Turazashvili, whose English is near perfect.  I also glimpsed the New Zealand Ballet morning class and there is a lovely dog watching quietly from the sidelines.

18 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

And I misread the schedule _ the Royal ballet is in class now, with the wonderful guest teacher Olga. Just watching her clean simple barre makes my brain & body feel good!

What a wonderful teacher Olga is.  “Was I clear?”

She always has a constructive correction for everyone, whether Principal or Aud Jebsen dancer.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jane S said:

The Times online today has a big photo of the RB's Aud Jensen dancers - all easily recognisable, maybe someone could name them which might help to pick them out in class? (The one in the middle is Darcy Bussell.)

Have removed the names I posted so as to have time to  get someone to confirm the names as it would be dreadful if I’d made any mistakes!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I started crying watching Kaneko & Bracewell rehearse the balcony pdd.

It looked like the pianist also had tears in her eyes.  And I also came over a bit funny, even though I was having to work at the same time!  The natural connection, respect and love between them translates to their interraction on stage and made for an incredible performance.  I just can't wait for Saturday afternoon.  

• Like 10

Just now, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know who the dancers were for Denilson Almeida's pdd? The names sounded like Jung and Eva but there aren't any RB dancers with those names. Are they perhaps RBS final year students?

I haven't seen the clip but, from what you say, it sounds like Joonhyuk Jun (artist) and Ava May Llewellyn (AJYD).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EVWS said:

Nunez dances Myrtha in the Cojocaru/Kobborg Giselle DVD from the early 2000s.

One of the first times I saw Nuñez dance was as Myrthe with Cojocaru and Kobborg.  She was wonderful.  It is indeed a treat to have her dancing the role again. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I haven't seen the clip but, from what you say, it sounds like Joonhyuk Jun (artist) and Ava May Llewellyn (AJYD).

Thank you. Is the ROH website not up to date with the young dancers listing? Because I checked the names before asking on here & the only 3 female dancers listed on there are Hanna Park, Maddison Pritchard & Marianna Tsembenhoi.

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you. Is the ROH website not up to date with the young dancers listing? Because I checked the names before asking on here & the only 3 female dancers listed on there are Hanna Park, Maddison Pritchard & Marianna Tsembenhoi.

It’s not up to date. This year’s young dancers are Olivia Findlay, Ava May Llewelyn, Viola Pantuso and Alix Von Tiggelen

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anna C said:

One of the first times I saw Nuñez dance was as Myrthe with Cojocaru and Kobborg.  She was wonderful.  It is indeed a treat to have her dancing the role again. 

Yes I agrees, she's a fantastic Myrthe, I'm so glad she's performing it. It's good to see Nela reveal another part of her personality instead of the sweet good girl side that we see a lot.

• Like 3

Yes she performed the role in the last Osipova cast and I thought she was perfectly menacing. She's one of the few that I've noticed wickedly smile as she leads the Wilis towards Hilarion before his death. Very chilling and I hope she does it again!

Edited by ToThePointe
  • Like 8