Training outside vocational school

Hawthorn

Following with interest for similar reasons and for LS.

We are in the south East and have and can travel, we would have chosen CAT Ballet in ?Manchester over vocational but it was just too far to travel. It looks amazing.

ENB opening up their associate program to a lower age is fantastic as well.

My child gave up their associate program place, but they would have left it anyone as it wasn’t as good as anticipated.

The one place we are keeping an eye on is London Russian Ballet School, there are some rumblings they may open their doors to pre and vocational training again. Just rumblings though atm.

• Like 1

Yep, my DD left vocational school and trained non vocationally at Masters of Ballet Academy for 18 months, she got multiple offers for top upper schools here and abroad and started her upper school training last month. DM me if you want more information.

• Like 3

The only classical ballet CAT scheme is at Northern Ballet, Leeds if that is a possibility?

I believe ?Nicola Moriarty in the south-east may have started a scheme for vocational students who wanted to stay at home but to train at a vocational level. I can’t find any posts but I believe it may have been mentioned on the forum? My apologies if I have invented it! 

I believe Natalia Kremen in London may also offer a vocational level scheme.

10 hours ago, Hawthorn said:

He’s just in his first term of lower school. 

My son didn’t start ballet til he was 12 and trained locally and with associate programs until he went to vocational school at 17. He is now a professional ballet dancer. I feel that personally, boys especially, don’t need to go away for lower school. Our daughter went away at 11 and our experience of that is on other threads 😢 There are lots of positive opportunities for children to train whilst living at home x

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

My son didn’t start ballet til he was 12 and trained locally and with associate programs until he went to vocational school at 17. He is now a professional ballet dancer. I feel that personally, boys especially, don’t need to go away for lower school. Our daughter went away at 11 and our experience of that is on other threads 😢 There are lots of positive opportunities for children to train whilst living at home x

@cotes du rhone !how often did he train a week until he went to vocational school?

Just now, NotadanceMa said:

@cotes du rhone !how often did he train a week until he went to vocational school?

He did 3 ballet classes a week in our local church hall, horrendous flooring 🤣. Then one associate class on a Saturday at Elmhurst for two years and then RBS SAs in Covent Garden for one year before getting a place at vocational school at 17.  He attended Elmhurst and Malvern summer schools too. We were very naive back then at to what was actually available out there and thought that the only way to train was in a full time setting like his sister. After travelling the world and meeting so many other ballet students and parents we now know that it isn’t the only route. I feel he wasn’t prepared physically to make the leap from 4 plus local classes a week to full time and he got a bit broken. But now we are more aware of what we should have done to help him prepare. 
If you have any questions I’m very happy to help 😀

• Like 3

Just now, cotes du rhone ! said:

He did 3 ballet classes a week in our local church hall, horrendous flooring 🤣. Then one associate class on a Saturday at Elmhurst for two years and then RBS SAs in Covent Garden for one year before getting a place at vocational school at 17.  He attended Elmhurst and Malvern summer schools too. We were very naive back then at to what was actually available out there and thought that the only way to train was in a full time setting like his sister. After travelling the world and meeting so many other ballet students and parents we now know that it isn’t the only route. I feel he wasn’t prepared physically to make the leap from 4 plus local classes a week to full time and he got a bit broken. But now we are more aware of what we should have done to help him prepare. 
If you have any questions I’m very happy to help 😀

Thankyou I don’t think full-time vocational training is going to work for my child. Just have that feeling might be wrong don’t think so though. 😁 It’s really good to hear a different path taken. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotadanceMa said:

Thankyou I don’t think full-time vocational training is going to work for my child. Just have that feeling might be wrong don’t think so though. 😁 It’s really good to hear a different path taken. 

It’s not the only route and it’s not for everyone. I deeply regret letting our daughter go at 11 but we were naive and then when it started to go wrong too deep into it to make a rational decision to withdraw. It just sadly prolonged all our agony and if we had been brave then maybe she would still love ballet and found her happy place sooner. 
I think boys are very different. I know of quite a few who have started later and gone on to keep their love of ballet intact and have a wonderful career. My son is a happy dancer 😀 Good luck with you decision, go with your heart 💜 

• Like 3

My DS is at Central, he went at 16. He did NBT associate's and Ballet Boost as well as his local classes. He also did a few summer schools with the odd masterclass thrown in (funds permitting!!) He was ready to go at 16 he wasn't keen to go any earlier. Having a brilliant male teacher locally made all the difference to him.

• Like 1

Mine went to normal school, trained locally after school, didn’t have any private lessons, was on an associate scheme for about a year or so, but has been a professional ballet dancer for a few years now. 

• Like 4

I have a male student at the moment and have trained quite a few others, one of whom trained at Elmhurst upper school and turned pro.   My current one was one of the few in his class who simply couldn't cope with zoom.  However, unlike the handful of girls who refused to do zoom, he came back, which has shown me that he is keen.  Boys seem to take longer to mature and develop strength and co-ordination, but get there in the end!   I would wait and send him at 16.  I'm sure he'll be ready then.  I was told about Saturday all boys classes at London Boys Ballet School in Finsbury Park.  Something like that would be wonderful for all those lone boys in all girl classes!

• Like 3