Yes, useful to hear more about how many are wearing masks (think I'll wear the most protective I can find and hope for the best!), but I guess fits better on the other thread? In the meantime I'm very excited by reports so far of Romeo and Juliet and looking forward to seeing Lamb and McRae in a couple of weeks 🙂

• Like 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, alison said:

Perhaps it will encourage more people to go, which I assume would be a Good Thing.

Very pleased to see James Hay is first cast - even if it is only Benvolio :) 

I agree with both of these comments, Alison.  I had originally not bought a ticket for the debut performance of Bracewell/Kaneko because I couldn't face an 11.30 start.  However, having read all the comments here on the general rehearsal, I am now actively seeking to buy a ticket!

Yes, it was wonderful to see James Hay onstage last night...but I am still smarting from the fact that he has been passed over for Albrecht!!  

• Like 10

16 hours ago, RobR said:

And, on a very personal note, can I say how nice it is to see Julia Roscoe back on stage after eighteen months of surgery and rehabilitation following a career threatening injury 😀

This is great news, Rob, and I hope that we will see much more of Julia onstage and in good health this season.  She has been on my 'one to watch' list for a few years now so let's hope that watch her we will!  

• Like 4

Apologies - I wouldn’t want my initial comment on mask wearing to detract from the performance content of the R&J thread. I was simply very taken aback at the pretty low compliance with ROH requests compared to the Jenufa rehearsal I’d last attended. That said I think hilaryanne reported Monday’s Magic Flute as being poor as regards mask wearing so perhaps I shouldn’t have been surprised by last night.

No doubt mask wearing (or not mask wearing) will be a continuing concern for many different performances so perhaps Mods might wish to have a separate thread for such discussions and transfer the specific mask wearing comments to that thread?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

Most people around me were wearing masks, though I agree that a lot of people weren't. But even where mask-wearing is a requirement (e.g. on London Transport) it's not enforced and a lot of people don't wear them, so I think public compliance is just weakening. And to be fair, the Opposition presents itself as mask-wearing in Parliament and non mask-wearing at its party conference, so there's no consistency there either. I find it strange that people ignore the ROH's request - it just seems like a courtesy both to the ROH itself and to fellow audience members. But I didn't let it worry me either.

I enjoyed the performance as well - the lovely lyrical lines of the likes of Hay and Sissens - the brilliant insolence - as much as taunting indolence of Ball's public schoolboy Tybalt - Magri's hot-headed exchanges with Sambe's witty Mercutio, every bit as fiery as her sometimes wayward wig - and the enhanced maturity of the two dancers in the principal roles.  What concerned me most, however, - as it had at SW's for Creature - was the open laughter at the ROH's public - and always respectful - requests for mask wearing.  It's bad enough that the substantive number of people without appear to have little to no regard for others - I personally find their laughter simply pushes that callous disdain in everyone's face.  Certainly I feel it is shoved in mine.  Perhaps many on both sides simply do not care.  I'm afraid I find such reactions every bit as deeply offensive as I did the behaviour of those people openly taking photographs during the performance - even after they too had been asked to stop.  This is - or so I find it - a different world.  

• Like 5

I didn't hear any laughter at either venue, Bruce - I guess we were in different parts of the theatre?  I did notice that the applause for the welcome to the start of the RB's season ran over the first request for masks to be worn, though, so people may not have registered it the first time.

16 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I could be wrong, Dawnstar, but I’m somehow picking up that you liked the opening night’s performance. 😜

Yes! I feel shattered today though. I think I've got out of practice of going down to London & experiencing all that emotion!

12 minutes ago, alison said:

I didn't hear any laughter at either venue, Bruce - I guess we were in different parts of the theatre?  I did notice that the applause for the welcome to the start of the RB's season ran over the first request for masks to be worn, though, so people may not have registered it the first time.

Ii was unfortunate that that first announcement was barely audible. After the much more audible announcement at the start of Act 2 a couple of people within my vicinity did put masks on, though sadly most in the area (front stalls right side block) were maskless throughout.

Anyway, I hope I didn't pick up covid last night because I've succumbed to temptation & booked for Kaneko/Bracewell on Saturday!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, alison said:

It was individuals around me, Alison - much as it had been at the Wells.  The specifically focused aspect of such; - one where you could actively see the shallowness of the snide faces involved; - made their concerted impact particularly piercing I fear.   The phrase:  'Who do these people think they are?' - or, simply, 'Who ARE these people?' - more than once rattled about my addled brain.  Well done you for having escaped such on your recent cultural outings.  

The chap who was actively taking pictures throughout - when asked - not by staff but by other audience members to stop - turned around and proudly proclaimed:  'I'm a photographer!' .... (In this day and age I almost feel like mururing: 'Aren't we all'.)  Certainly he indicated he intended to go on practising his named profession.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

The chap who was actively taking pictures throughout - when asked - not by staff but by other audience members to stop - turned around and proudly proclaimed:  'I'm a photographer!' .... (In this day and age I almost feel like mururing: 'Aren't we all'.)  Certainly he indicated he intended to go on practising his named profession.  

How irritating. 
That said, was he the Daily Telegraph photographer?
I've just looked at Mark Monahan's review and am wondering when the photos (credited to Alastair Muir) were taken?
It very much looks as if they were taken during the performance. 

I wouldn’t have thought the likes of Alistair Muir, Bill Cooper or Dancersdiary would be in a position to turn around to address someone as they’d be at the back of the Stalls Circle Standing area 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, capybara said:

By the way, have there ever been quite so many Principals on stage in R&J as there were last night? (Hayward, Corrales, Sambe, Ball and Magri - and Arestis, Avis and McNally.)

Macmillan's ballets do seem to lend themselves to multiple Principals in casts, I suppose because he choreographed so many great roles. I think the most Principals I've seen on stage in the same performance (of a single ballet, not counting galas) was the first time I saw the RB live, Mayerling in October 2018 with Hirano, Osipova, Lamb, Nunez, Hayward, Campbell and McNally, Avis, Saunders & McGorian.

• Like 3

Romeo and Juliet really was the perfect production to launch the return to full length performances. The gala style mixed bills were nice to snack on while the company faced the various challenges created by Covid, but I was hungry for a stories, drama and sets! 

What I love about MacMillan's R&J is how he really makes the music come alive. I don't like the Mariinsky or Nureyev choreography-  the storytelling and the music just don't seem consistent. In addition, this is such a great dramatic piece - every time I see it, I notice something new and I am sure so much is missed in recorded versions or live streams because you are directed to where to look.  Loved Claire Calvert's performance as Rosaline and her immense frustration at ending up dancing with members of Team Montague. I also don't remember so vividly seeing the whispering as the Capulet guests and family notice they have a Montague intruder. So many other little brilliant moments of acting from the wider company which really draw you in and make this so much more than just a ballet.

Loved every moment and every dancer - Francesca Hayward plays a young Juliet so realistically and is just gorgeous to watch dancing. Cesar Corrales is a perfect mix of mischief and charm. Sambe's Mercutio wowed with his speedy steps and James Hay completed team Montague perfectly.

Loved every minute of Matthew Ball's fiery, brooding Tybalt and Mayara Magri was a perfect tomboy of a harlot (another brilliant trio). 

So drawn into the highs and lows of every single moment - so much so that I got lost in the story and completely forgot that I know exactly what's going to happen at the next turn.  Can't wait for my next booking in March (so hard to choose but booked for O'Sullivan/Sambe).

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RobR said:

How irritating. 
That said, was he the Daily Telegraph photographer?
I've just looked at Mark Monahan's review and am wondering when the photos (credited to Alastair Muir) were taken?
It very much looks as if they were taken during the performance. 

There is usually a stage call for 'first' cast a day or two before the general rehearsal (the rehearsal which Friends attend). It was at that that the photos were probably taken. Also, the 'production' photographer will sit in on many studio rehearsals, and several stage calls to get as many photos of the Principal dancers as possible. If there is no rehearsal available, very occasionally said production photographer will camp themselves in the Stalls Circle standing area near the lighting box. If not in that position, they are probably not an official photographer, so just proclaiming "I'm A photographer" simply won't do, and they should have been reported to the ushers. Blind eyes most usually turned to stage call photos, as antogonisning the fans has been seen to become counter-productive, and self defeating, so those don't count

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, capybara said:

Although the General is traditionally the photo opportunity, photographers can request passes for other stage calls and it appears that they often do so in order to catch the opening night cast especially.

for general photographers (press photographers) there are usually two at most - the general (Friends) rehearsal, and the first night cast rehearsal (which isn't always available). The RB hire a production photographer (from a very short list) who will attend several stage calls, and many studio rehearsals - and possibly photograph during a performance, if needed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I wouldn’t have thought the likes of Alistair Muir, Bill Cooper or Dancersdiary would be in a position to turn around to address someone as they’d be at the back of the Stalls Circle Standing area 

quite so! 🙂

• Like 1

Looked like a wonderful opening night! Great to feel things are back to ‘normal’ with full houses and full productions and look forward to reading more reviews. 

with regards to masks (sure this will get moved to an appropriate thread if it gets corrected thanks mods) please remember some people are exempt from mask wearing. Granted I doubt it’ll be quite the level people seem to be discussing but remember some people may have invisible disabilities that prevent them from wearing them. 

• Like 1

The only productions I’ve attended so far at the ROH since the September open-up have been operas where, due to the eye-watering price hikes for amphitheatre tickets, I’ve been sitting right at the back in row W and I have to say that most people around me have been wearing their masks, so I was somewhat surprised to read that this hasn’t been the norm. 

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Having read all the reviews, I'm now feeling kind of guilty that I didn't notice most of the issues that the critics variously point out.

Dawnstar, they are paid to do that.  I think it’s often much better not to notice these things.  You enjoy the performance much more that way!  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Having read all the reviews, I'm now feeling kind of guilty that I didn't notice most of the issues that the critics variously point out.

Don't feel guilty.
A simple rule of thumb is that critics compete with each other in a private race that has no real relevance to your/our enjoyment of what you see.

Their taste may not be your taste, their experience may not be yours and their remarks should neither diminish your pleasure and elation nor, give profundity and validation to any performance that you feel is neither entertaining nor uplifting.

Edited by RobR
  • Like 11