Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Autumn 2021

Having finally been able to view the cast sheet, I see Hay was Mercutio. I seem to be doomed not to get to see him in the role! Last time I saw 5 casts & no luck. This time I see 3 out of the 4 October casts & he's in the only one I don't see. Grrr! I do wish they'd announce Mercutio & Tybalt casting in advance.

• Like 5

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might need to book for McRae's scheduled performances in future, Dawnstar: Hay frequently seems to be cast as support in them - I guess it's probably a height thing.

Hang on, did you say Mercutio?  Is that a debut?  I was thinking Benvolio.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alison said:

You might need to book for McRae's scheduled performances in future, Dawnstar: Hay frequently seems to be cast as support in them - I guess it's probably a height thing.

Hang on, did you say Mercutio?  Is that a debut?  I was thinking Benvolio.

I've not yet ever seen McRae live! Just after I started seeing the RB he went on leave to do Cats then got injured. Do they cast Mercutios on height though? All the RB Mercutios seem to be on the shorter side. I don't think Hay's that much shorter than Acri or Sambe, is he? I guess Zuchetti's a bit taller. (Is that all the RB Mercutios?)

The cast sheet definitely says Hay as Mercutio, with Ella as Benvolio. I don't think it's a debut though, as I'm sure I remember being disappointed that I didn't manage to see him Mercutio in 2019 so he presumably must have been doing it then.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Having finally been able to view the cast sheet, I see Hay was Mercutio. I seem to be doomed not to get to see him in the role! Last time I saw 5 casts & no luck. This time I see 3 out of the 4 October casts & he's in the only one I don't see. Grrr! I do wish they'd announce Mercutio & Tybalt casting in advance.

I thought he was very good. 
Re debut,  I’ve seen him at least twice as Mercutio in 2019….22/5 and 1/6 

51610410641_65b14e538c_b.jpg

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 9

Really great to see McRae back again last night - maybe everso slightly tentative at first, but soon full steam ahead. Amazing what his determination and the splendid ministrations of all the support staff at the Opera House have managed!

The House was packed and very enthusiastic, but I have to say I was so disappointed (?angry) that only about 5% in the Stalls and Stalls Circle were masked, despite the repeated encouragements in the announcements. I am afraid I even had to ask the woman sitting next to us to stop coughing with an open mouth...

Meanwhile, at the National Ballet of Canada :

"All patrons, 12 years of age or older, must provide proof of vaccination to attend performances by The National Ballet of Canada .All audience members must wear a mask at all times in the lobby and auditorium, except when eating or drinking. Neck gaiters and bandanas will not be permitted."

• Like 14

4 hours ago, simonbfisher said:

Really great to see McRae back again last night - maybe everso slightly tentative at first, but soon full steam ahead. Amazing what his determination and the splendid ministrations of all the support staff at the Opera House have managed!

The House was packed and very enthusiastic, but I have to say I was so disappointed (?angry) that only about 5% in the Stalls and Stalls Circle were masked, despite the repeated encouragements in the announcements. I am afraid I even had to ask the woman sitting next to us to stop coughing with an open mouth...

Meanwhile, at the National Ballet of Canada :

"All patrons, 12 years of age or older, must provide proof of vaccination to attend performances by The National Ballet of Canada .All audience members must wear a mask at all times in the lobby and auditorium, except when eating or drinking. Neck gaiters and bandanas will not be permitted."

This is now par for the ROH's course I think, Simon - at least in my experience.  I only comment here at this explicit time on this - as I know from a previous posting how (understandably) upsetting such things are to some - as you might be interested in two NYT's articles contrasting the current Broadway theatre going audience's experience with the current London West End theatre going audience experience.  Both were released yesterday so are very current.  Makes for interesting reading.  

• Like 1

Once again, may I PLEASE ask that any discussion/references to masks is done elsewhere.  I have had a couple of reports about this and people wish to read about dancing and dancers and performances on this thread.  For those who feel the need to discuss mask-wearing, please do so on a separate thread in Not Dance, or away from this forum entirely.  Thank you.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, simonbfisher said:

Well Sim, you’re the boss - but the heading is “Performances seen and General Discussions”. I really fear that if we don’t all start acting more responsibly there will soon no longer, as in the recent dark days, be any “performances seen”.

Especially given the alarming rise in case numbers and COVID-related deaths, which - I believe - are higher in the UK than in our neighbouring EU countries *combined*.  I will keep my ROH tickets for R&J* and Giselle, as I have end seats with my husband next to me - less sure about daughter and I being so closely surrounded by (possibly non-mask wearing) strangers in SC for Nutcracker in December though.  Assuming non-socially-distanced performances are still happening in two months…

* The ballet Gods must have taken pity on me because someone returned suitable-for-my-disability seats for Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell’s performance this Saturday - I nabbed them! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 6

1 hour ago, simonbfisher said:

Well Sim, you’re the boss - but the heading is “Performances seen and General Discussions”. I really fear that if we don’t all start acting more responsibly there will soon no longer, as in the recent dark days, be any “performances seen”.

I don’t think that means that 'Performances seen' and ‘General Discussions' should necessarily be part of the same thread.

And, just to clarify, I'd find it easier to enjoy everyone's views about R & J * if the thread weren’t interspersed with posts on audience behaviour about mask wearing and etiquette. 

I'd be perfectly happy to engage in a discussion on 'audience behaviour and mask wearing and etiquette' if it were in a separate thread. 

(* And any other ballet performance review)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I don’t think that means that 'Performances seen' and ‘General Discussions' should necessarily be part of the same thread.

And, just to clarify, I'd find it easier to enjoy everyone's views about R & J * if the thread weren’t interspersed with posts on audience behaviour about mask wearing and etiquette. 

I'd be perfectly happy to engage in a discussion on 'audience behaviour and mask wearing and etiquette' if it were in a separate thread. 

(* And any other ballet performance review)

This is interesting, Rob.  I wonder would that include for your good self, say, people's remembrances of viewings of 'The Exorcist' for example?  Personally I don't have a problem with such as long as the memory is relevantly tied to a review or impression of the specific performance and is therein referenced directly in the posting.  Certainly I agree that anything within the particular strand should be tied in a specific way to the particular mesh of moments - or things that effected impressions of such - that people experienced in/or as a direct result of that performance within the theatrical venue itself.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I was typing this before Bruce posted (the online grocery delivery interrupted me) but in essence I was going to agree and say that this particular thread has already veered off the topic of this run of Romeo and Juliet on quite a few occasions, and not just onto mask-wearing - at this stage it would be difficult for we Mods to go back through all the posts and separate those posts (or parts thereof) that are not just “views of R&J”.  Half the trouble is that enjoyment of any particular performance at the ROH can be greatly enhanced or reduced by the behaviour of other audience members - which at the moment mostly happens to involve mask wearing (or not), coughing, and so on. 

I do appreciate that people on both sides of the “argument” feel very strongly about it, and I certainly don’t want the thread to descend into a “flame war”, but as long as the thread remains largely as people’s thoughts on and reviews of the current run of R&J, it doesn’t necessarily need to be an issue if people comment on COVID restrictions/audience behaviour at the particular performance they attend - it can be useful for those thinking of going.  

But that’s just my 2p worth. ☺️

• Like 4

My view - again just my opinion! - is that the difference with the masks discussion is that it has come up repeatedly on this thread and will be relevant to every other performance thread for a while and so it's best off having its own place, just like the Audience Behaviour thread.

• Like 5

DanJL has kindly started a thread where those who wish to can exchange comments about mask wearing or no mask wearing.  

Going forward, may we ask once again for mask comments/discussion to go over to that thread.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

This is interesting, Rob.  I wonder would that include for your good self, say, people's remembrances of viewings of 'The Exorcist' for example?  Personally I don't have a problem with such as long as the memory is relevantly tied to a review or impression of the specific performance and is therein referenced directly in the posting.  Certainly I agree that anything within the particular strand should be tied in a specific way to the particular mesh of moments - or things that effected impressions of such - that people experienced in/or as a direct result of that performance within the theatrical venue itself.  

The difference between people veering off to talk about The Exorcist (a clear dig at me) is that they are just funny little vignettes being shared, without people being made to feel guilty or naughty or the worst in the world for NOT breaking a law.  I have had several messages from members who have been feeling very uncomfortable about the tenor of the mask posts when they are wanting to read about people's views of R&J, which is the main reason I have been desperately trying to move such conversation elsewhere.  Then people can decide whether or not to participate.  I personally will not because I am sick of the whole thing.  

PLEASE, NO MORE MASK TALK ON THIS THREAD NOW.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sim said:

The difference between people veering off to talk about The Exorcist (a clear dig at me) is that they are just funny little vignettes being shared, without people being made to feel guilty or naughty or the worst in the world for NOT breaking a law.  I have had several messages from members who have been feeling very uncomfortable about the tenor of the mask posts when they are wanting to read about people's views of R&J, which is the main reason I have been desperately trying to move such conversation elsewhere.  Then people can decide whether or not to participate.  I personally will not because I am sick of the whole thing.  

PLEASE, NO MORE MASK TALK ON THIS THREAD NOW.  

Did you write about 'The Exorcist', Sim?  Certainly I didn't recall.  MOST certainly it wasn't - nor would it have ever been intended to be - 'a dig'.  That much I can assure you.  (If I had thought of it as a personal matter I would most certainly have written to you directly in a private message.  That would only be right and proper surely.)  I only mentioned the film because the specific items stood out in my mind in relation to what RobR wrote.  I am glad that the discussion of face coverings now has a proper home.