4 hours ago, simonbfisher said:

Really great to see McRae back again last night - maybe everso slightly tentative at first, but soon full steam ahead. Amazing what his determination and the splendid ministrations of all the support staff at the Opera House have managed!

The House was packed and very enthusiastic, but I have to say I was so disappointed (?angry) that only about 5% in the Stalls and Stalls Circle were masked, despite the repeated encouragements in the announcements. I am afraid I even had to ask the woman sitting next to us to stop coughing with an open mouth...

Meanwhile, at the National Ballet of Canada :

"All patrons, 12 years of age or older, must provide proof of vaccination to attend performances by The National Ballet of Canada .All audience members must wear a mask at all times in the lobby and auditorium, except when eating or drinking. Neck gaiters and bandanas will not be permitted."

This is now par for the ROH's course I think, Simon - at least in my experience.  I only comment here at this explicit time on this - as I know from a previous posting how (understandably) upsetting such things are to some - as you might be interested in two NYT's articles contrasting the current Broadway theatre going audience's experience with the current London West End theatre going audience experience.  Both were released yesterday so are very current.  Makes for interesting reading.  

• Like 2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, may I PLEASE ask that any discussion/references to masks is done elsewhere.  I have had a couple of reports about this and people wish to read about dancing and dancers and performances on this thread.  For those who feel the need to discuss mask-wearing, please do so on a separate thread in Not Dance, or away from this forum entirely.  Thank you.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, simonbfisher said:

Well Sim, you’re the boss - but the heading is “Performances seen and General Discussions”. I really fear that if we don’t all start acting more responsibly there will soon no longer, as in the recent dark days, be any “performances seen”.

Especially given the alarming rise in case numbers and COVID-related deaths, which - I believe - are higher in the UK than in our neighbouring EU countries *combined*.  I will keep my ROH tickets for R&J* and Giselle, as I have end seats with my husband next to me - less sure about daughter and I being so closely surrounded by (possibly non-mask wearing) strangers in SC for Nutcracker in December though.  Assuming non-socially-distanced performances are still happening in two months…

* The ballet Gods must have taken pity on me because someone returned suitable-for-my-disability seats for Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell’s performance this Saturday - I nabbed them! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 7

1 hour ago, simonbfisher said:

Well Sim, you’re the boss - but the heading is “Performances seen and General Discussions”. I really fear that if we don’t all start acting more responsibly there will soon no longer, as in the recent dark days, be any “performances seen”.

I don’t think that means that 'Performances seen' and ‘General Discussions' should necessarily be part of the same thread.

And, just to clarify, I'd find it easier to enjoy everyone's views about R & J * if the thread weren’t interspersed with posts on audience behaviour about mask wearing and etiquette. 

I'd be perfectly happy to engage in a discussion on 'audience behaviour and mask wearing and etiquette' if it were in a separate thread. 

(* And any other ballet performance review)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I don’t think that means that 'Performances seen' and ‘General Discussions' should necessarily be part of the same thread.

And, just to clarify, I'd find it easier to enjoy everyone's views about R & J * if the thread weren’t interspersed with posts on audience behaviour about mask wearing and etiquette. 

I'd be perfectly happy to engage in a discussion on 'audience behaviour and mask wearing and etiquette' if it were in a separate thread. 

(* And any other ballet performance review)

This is interesting, Rob.  I wonder would that include for your good self, say, people's remembrances of viewings of 'The Exorcist' for example?  Personally I don't have a problem with such as long as the memory is relevantly tied to a review or impression of the specific performance and is therein referenced directly in the posting.  Certainly I agree that anything within the particular strand should be tied in a specific way to the particular mesh of moments - or things that effected impressions of such - that people experienced in/or as a direct result of that performance within the theatrical venue itself.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I was typing this before Bruce posted (the online grocery delivery interrupted me) but in essence I was going to agree and say that this particular thread has already veered off the topic of this run of Romeo and Juliet on quite a few occasions, and not just onto mask-wearing - at this stage it would be difficult for we Mods to go back through all the posts and separate those posts (or parts thereof) that are not just “views of R&J”.  Half the trouble is that enjoyment of any particular performance at the ROH can be greatly enhanced or reduced by the behaviour of other audience members - which at the moment mostly happens to involve mask wearing (or not), coughing, and so on. 

I do appreciate that people on both sides of the “argument” feel very strongly about it, and I certainly don’t want the thread to descend into a “flame war”, but as long as the thread remains largely as people’s thoughts on and reviews of the current run of R&J, it doesn’t necessarily need to be an issue if people comment on COVID restrictions/audience behaviour at the particular performance they attend - it can be useful for those thinking of going.  

But that’s just my 2p worth. ☺️

• Like 4

My view - again just my opinion! - is that the difference with the masks discussion is that it has come up repeatedly on this thread and will be relevant to every other performance thread for a while and so it's best off having its own place, just like the Audience Behaviour thread.

• Like 6

DanJL has kindly started a thread where those who wish to can exchange comments about mask wearing or no mask wearing.  

Going forward, may we ask once again for mask comments/discussion to go over to that thread.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

This is interesting, Rob.  I wonder would that include for your good self, say, people's remembrances of viewings of 'The Exorcist' for example?  Personally I don't have a problem with such as long as the memory is relevantly tied to a review or impression of the specific performance and is therein referenced directly in the posting.  Certainly I agree that anything within the particular strand should be tied in a specific way to the particular mesh of moments - or things that effected impressions of such - that people experienced in/or as a direct result of that performance within the theatrical venue itself.  

The difference between people veering off to talk about The Exorcist (a clear dig at me) is that they are just funny little vignettes being shared, without people being made to feel guilty or naughty or the worst in the world for NOT breaking a law.  I have had several messages from members who have been feeling very uncomfortable about the tenor of the mask posts when they are wanting to read about people's views of R&J, which is the main reason I have been desperately trying to move such conversation elsewhere.  Then people can decide whether or not to participate.  I personally will not because I am sick of the whole thing.  

PLEASE, NO MORE MASK TALK ON THIS THREAD NOW.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sim said:

The difference between people veering off to talk about The Exorcist (a clear dig at me) is that they are just funny little vignettes being shared, without people being made to feel guilty or naughty or the worst in the world for NOT breaking a law.  I have had several messages from members who have been feeling very uncomfortable about the tenor of the mask posts when they are wanting to read about people's views of R&J, which is the main reason I have been desperately trying to move such conversation elsewhere.  Then people can decide whether or not to participate.  I personally will not because I am sick of the whole thing.  

PLEASE, NO MORE MASK TALK ON THIS THREAD NOW.  

Did you write about 'The Exorcist', Sim?  Certainly I didn't recall.  MOST certainly it wasn't - nor would it have ever been intended to be - 'a dig'.  That much I can assure you.  (If I had thought of it as a personal matter I would most certainly have written to you directly in a private message.  That would only be right and proper surely.)  I only mentioned the film because the specific items stood out in my mind in relation to what RobR wrote.  I am glad that the discussion of face coverings now has a proper home.  

15 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Hullo, I'm going back on Saturday and I need an advice on the seat. I can choose between the very centre of row H in the stalls or front row A 6. I generally love front row, but I'm afraid A6 might be too lateral. Any suggestion? 

Probably too late but I would have gone for A6 to ensure an unobstructed view unless you are tall enough not to worry, in which case mid row H will also be fine...either way, these are great seats!..  

• Like 1

Just got back from tonight's performance and it was simply marvellous

Vadim Muntagirov and Yasmine Naghdi were really wonderful together, a real pure Romeo and Juliet love.

I really liked Vadim Muntagirov's take on Romeo, a more aristocratic version who is deeply in love with Juliet and when he saw Mercutio killed you could see he took no pleasure in ending Tybalt's life. As for his dancing what else is there to say, Vadream indeed, really made me appreciate the choreography, such a beautiful elegant dancer.

Yasmine Naghdi was outstanding as Juliet, superb dancing, really conveyed Juliet's gauntlet of emotions from joy to love to despair.

I was also impressed by Calvin Richardson as Benvolio, an unflashy part but he danced it so charmingly and Luca Acri was great as Mercutio. 

The entire Royal Ballet cast tonight were great also and top playing from the orchestra, such a thrill to hear a live ballet score again and so nice to see live ballet as well, a great evening.

• Like 11

I totally agree, WGF.  It was a wonderful performance all round (but I just didn’t get anything from Tybalt again).   I loved the three harlots again (with Gina Storm-Jensen having a particularly good time of it), and I agree about Mercutio and Benvolio.  Acri’s interpretation keeps getting better and better.  I have to admit that I asked myself why he was promoted to First Soloist.  These performances have answered that question!  

Miss Naghdi surpassed even herself last night.  I have seen all of her Juliets since her debut in 2015 and last night is, for me, the best she has ever danced the role.  She gave so much and took us with her on Juliet’s journey through the maze of conflicts happening to a young girl, to the tragic final destination.  Truly believable and deeply emotional.  Vadream did more for me than on the first night.  His Romeo is puppyish, a dreamer who is brought to Earth with a thump when he is struck by first love.  A very sweet portrayal.  

Now off to see Fumi and Will again.  Why do I put myself through this emotional turmoil?  Because it’s all about the beautiful side of what humans can achieve and feel. 

• Like 10

On 21/10/2021 at 17:45, Sim said:

Going forward, may we ask once again for mask comments/discussion to go over to that thread.  

Does the "we" here refer to all the moderators? Comments that are specifically about mask wearing at performances of R&J in the current run at the ROH seem to me to be clearly within the scope of a discussion thread on performances of R&J in the current run at the ROH.

1 hour ago, theorist said:

Does the "we" here refer to all the moderators? Comments that are specifically about mask wearing at performances of R&J in the current run at the ROH seem to me to be clearly within the scope of a discussion thread on performances of R&J in the current run at the ROH.

If you care to look on the separate thread concerning mask wearing the matter is discussed pertaining to R&J and other performances and venues.  For those who feel that it is an issue they are now having a lively discussion on that thread.  

And this is not just about moderators.  I have had messages from members saying that they don't want to have these discussions interspersed with thoughts and feelings about the art form.  

And yes, you will find other moderators engaging on the separate thread so they are happy to have moved the conversations there.  This is an important and emotional issue for many people and it deserves its own thread. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

Yasmine Naghdi was outstanding as Juliet, superb dancing, really conveyed Juliet's gauntlet of emotions from joy to love to despair.

Totally agree. Yasmine is an amazing dancer and she really acted her heart out last night. Vadim Muntagirov didn't convince me though and my opinion on his Romeo is more in line with those who saw the earlier performance up thread. He was noble (as always) but not hot-blooded.

Admittedly, I was fortunate enough to see Yasmine's joint debut with Matty Ball back when and it has stayed fresh in my mind as their chemistry simply leapt offstage. A great R&J is when the thunderbolt between Romeo and Juliet is so believable and electric that it hits the audience as well. So our hearts break when they die. Paired with Vadim, I could see Yasmine acting, rather than just feel the emotion. 

My Italian companion for the show, who knows ballet but not any of the RB dancers, felt Luca Acri would have been a much more convincing Romeo.  Wonderful dancing and dare I say sex appeal.

Another highlight for me has to be the harlots in this cast, especially Claire Calvert. I cannot believe this is her first run in that role as she totally owned it. When one of the mandolin players accidentally lost his hat, Claire ended up picking it up and saucily posing it on top of her own head in time to the music and perfectly in character 👏

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Candleque said:

He was noble (as always) but not hot-blooded.

Another highlight for me has to be the harlots in this cast, especially Claire Calvert. I cannot believe this is her first run in that role as she totally owned it. When one of the mandolin players accidentally lost his hat, Claire ended up picking it up and saucily posing it on top of her own head in time to the music and perfectly in character 👏

Is Romeo required to be "hot blooded"? Surely there is room for interpretation of the role. Why else have multiple casts if not to let everyone bring something new and/or different? IMO of course (other equally valid opinions available) his innocent-first-time-in-love is no more or less valid than someone else' hot blooded.

And the harlots were fabulous. I just wish they could have stayed for the curtain call to get the ovation they deserved. 

\

I saw last night’s performance. I don’t know how it compared with last week’s, as I wasn’t there, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt that Yasmine and Vadim really gelled.

Yasmine was a beautiful Juliet. I felt at the beginning that she was perhaps trying a little bit too hard - the ‘little girl’ bashfulness seemed a bit over the top in places - but she soon settled into the role and her Act 3 was tremendous. Her simultaneous fascination and revulsion when trying to get up the courage to take the potion was so well portrayed and convincing. And that scream when she realises Romeo is dead gets me every time - hers was heart-rending!

Personally, I don’t see why Romeo always has to be portrayed as ‘hot-blooded.’ There is room for other interpretations and I like Muntagirov’s. He came across as a romantic and callow youth - although not too romantic to get up to mischief with his friends and the harlots! - with a very typically adolescent crush on Rosaline. When he met Juliet, he seemed floored by the sudden realisation of real love and I found the marriage scene very moving, with his nervous pulling down of his doublet to make sure he was tidy for his love! And one really felt that he was being helplessly overtaken by events he couldn’t control - his despair at realising that he had to fight Tybalt was palpable. He also ‘died’ very well!

i enjoyed both Luca Acri as Mercutio and Calvin Richardson as Benvolio. Acri always seems a most underrated performer to me and I always enjoy his performances. Richardson played Benvolio with wit and sensitivity - it bodes well for his own Romeo later in the run!

The harlots were all fantastic, and Gina Storm-Jensen really stood out for me - I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so animated and I think her promotion will show what she can do.

Fantastic audience reception and I overheard people nearby commenting on how much they enjoyed Yasmine and Vadim’s portrayals.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Lol, oncnp, our comments crossed and we made almost the identical point! I didn’t read it first, honest! 

You said it so much better!

48 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Is Romeo required to be "hot blooded"? Surely there is room for interpretation of the role. Why else have multiple casts if not to let everyone bring something new and/or different? IMO of course (other equally valid opinions available) his innocent-first-time-in-love is no more or less valid than someone else' hot blooded.

Totally agree - I like seeing different interpretations. 

With this ballet for me it's all about the chemistry between Romeo and Juliet and if I don't feel that the whole thing doesn't work. (And just because I don't see it it doesn't mean others won't!) 

• Like 3

Well, I've just had the pleasure of telling Will Bracewell how marvellous I thought his performance was in person, Plus I met his mum!  I went round to the stage door after the performance which is something I have never done before, but I'm here for the performance in the evening so I thought - let's see what it's like round there. There were a few people but there was a nice opportunity so I took it.  What an absolutely delightful experience. 

So, he and Fumi plumbed the full depths of emotion this afternoon. I'm still shaking. Utterly passionate, romantic, despairing. Gorgeous, brilliant, exquisite. I don't have sufficient adjectives. 

The whole cast pulled out the stops and it was great to see Joe Sissens as Benvolio at last - he was excellent as was Luca Acri (again). 

A mention for Natalie Harrison about whom Kevin O'Hare came out to give a special announcement before the performance. A special farewell for her today and she received flowers and applause from the whole cast at the end of the show. 

What an afternoon. Can this evening match it?  Well, Matthew Ball is in the building because I saw him arrive,  so watch out for that fiery Tybalt.  

• Like 24

I had tickets for this evening , but nothing could better this afternoon for me, so I gave them to a friend.  This is what I want etched in my mind and heart for a long time to come.  Unforgettable and deeply moving and oh so special.  Wow.  Just wow.  

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Well, I've just had the pleasure of telling Will Bracewell how marvellous I thought his performance was in person, Plus I met his mum!  I went round to the stage door after the performance which is something I have never done before, but I'm here for the performance in the evening so I thought - let's see what it's like round there. There were a few people but there was a nice opportunity so I took it.  What an absolutely delightful experience.

A mention for Natalie Harrison about whom Kevin O'Hare came out to give a special announcement before the performance. A special farewell for her today and she received flowers and applause from the whole cast at the end of the show.

Is the ROH now allowing stage dooring? I thought I'd read that they'd banned it, but that was some time ago so have they now rescinded the ban?

I'm sorry that Natalie Harrison has definitely left. I thought she was very good as Lady Capulet 2 weeks ago & thought that, as she's no longer listed on the ROH's website, perhaps she was going to continue appearing in character roles for them occasionally. But I suppose they must have just removed her name from the website in anticipation of imminent retirement.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is the ROH now allowing stage dooring? I thought I'd read that they'd banned it, but that was some time ago so have they now rescinded the ban?

You can't come in the building but no ban on standing on Floral St., as it is a public street.  There was a small crowd last night.

Edited by oncnp

Just now, oncnp said:

You can't come in the building but no ban on standing on Floral St. 

I just stood across the street near the stage door to see what happened.  There were around 20 people including some ex dancers who were supporting Natalie Harrison I think. So I spotted Leanne Cope with husband Paul Kay (not ex) plus several others who I recognised but annoyingly could not name. Kristen McNally came to join them. Fans were respectful of distance and I wore my mask throughout conversations.   There was also a lot of hugging amongst those who knew each other.  

• Like 3