Jenufa - free web streaming from 15 October

JohnS

Having seen Saturday’s dress rehearsal, I wanted to highlight ROH’s free web streaming of Jenufa from 15 October although I’m sure donations will be very much appreciated. I last saw Jenufa in 2001 with Karita Matilla as Jenufa and Anna Silva as Kostelnicka, Bernard Haitink conducting, one of the most memorable evenings at the ROH. This time Karita Matilla sings Kostelnicka and Asmik Grigorian Jenufa in a new production (so best not to comment as this was the dress rehearsal).

13 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

The carrot,of  a freebie may entice me to watch this. For some unknown reason I find Czech music difficult - I have tried, have seen a couple of Martinu operas, Mackropolous Case, listened to quite a lot of chamber music, but it's tough going.

Jenufa is a lot easier on the ear than the Makropulos Case, IMO.

Many thanks Lizbie1 and of course Anja Silja isn’t in the current run.

I must say I’ve never attended a rehearsal where the applause has been so rapturous and I’m very much looking forward to the streaming. Astonishingly good musically although I’m still mulling over some of the production.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I very much enjoyed the streaming despite some problems with the sound/vision synchronisation, particular in Act 1. On another thread I’d questioned why the bloodied child crossed the stage towards the start of Act 2 and wondered why there appeared to be so much Oedipal thumb sucking for both Laca and Steva but on further viewings I think the thumb sucking may have been more down to unfortunate camera angles. I found the production grew on me, certainly in capturing the oppressive Moravian society, with Jenufa’s forgiveness extraordinarily poignant. I do hope ROH releases a tidied up DVD as the performance really is tremendous.

• Like 1