Student visiting London

Dance*is*life

A 13 year old male student of mine is flying with his mum to London next week for a few days.  Does anyone know of a drop in class he can take or anywhere that would allow him to watch a boys' class? He has a Covid recovery certificate.  I've recommended that they do a tour of the opera house.  Any other suggestions?  Would the RAD centenary exhibit at the V & A interest him?  They will be staying in the Covent Garden area, lucky them!   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pineapple has kids' open classes on a Saturday. Their standard open classes are really aimed at adults, and wouldn't recommend anything than a class designated for beginners (which in London open class terms, typically is pitched around the Grade 5 level) unless he is used to a lot of unset work, as they tend to move fast, and additionally not all teachers will let under 18s join. Adam Pudney's beginner class might be a good fit, lovely guy, and I've seen kids in his class before. Anna du Boisson's General class is often attended by her younger vocational students, though I've never taken it myself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

Would they be suitable for a boy of RAD IF standard?

Define "suitable"? If he hasn't done a lot of open work they'll be a shock to the system, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Depends on the spirit in which he's likely to take being a bit out of his depth. Some kids will take it to heart, some will laugh it off. A one off like that is an experience, not a serious learning thing.

I'd happily chuck our 13 year old who's about the same level (in theory) into something like that, but he's done a lot of non-curriculum work now, and wouldn't have much excuse for being out of his depth.

I would second the recommendation for Adam Pudney’s class at Pineapple. It is aimed at adult beginners so he will not get as many corrections as he may be used to. Both my Dds have done his classes before and my youngest would have been 13 then and really enjoyed. 
Danceworks also offer ‘open’ classes but are strict about ages that can participate. Both dance studios post their timetables on their websites online.

I love Adam Pudney's class. It's logical and feels good for my body, but he also gets people moving. He brings a lovely energy to a ballet class, particularly in the centre. As others have said, the challenge in an adult beginner's/improvers class will be that there isn't a set syllabus; you have to absorb/remember the choreography for each exercise anew.

Danceworks advertises on their website which teachers/classes will accept children over 12. 

On 24/09/2021 at 13:37, Kate_N said:

I love Adam Pudney's class. [ ...] He brings a lovely energy to a ballet class, particularly in the centre.

He does, doesn't he? There's something so warm and encouraging about him whilst working people hard! Loved seeing how he managed to keep the entire class moving when several complete beginners on a hen do turned up and still giving them the attention they needed. I've also seen the incredibly positive way that he's rejected dancers who have asked to move up to his Ele/Int class but weren't ready. Normally that could be disappointing, but whilst being methodical and clear about why and what would be needed in order to do so, also outlined the positives in their dancing and gave encouragement to keep working. He is an absolute gem and I am sad that my timetable doesn't allow me to take his classes more.

Edited by Meetmeatthebarre
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 15:50, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Pineapple has kids' open classes on a Saturday. Their standard open classes are really aimed at adults, and wouldn't recommend anything than a class designated for beginners (which in London open class terms, typically is pitched around the Grade 5 level) unless he is used to a lot of unset work, as they tend to move fast, and additionally not all teachers will let under 18s join. Adam Pudney's beginner class might be a good fit, lovely guy, and I've seen kids in his class before. Anna du Boisson's General class is often attended by her younger vocational students, though I've never taken it myself.

never taken  class with Adam 

I have been  in London and taken  class  with Anna during  school Holiday  periods   (pre pandemic  when Anna's lunchtime class was at Danceworks - it's now at Pineapple - where iirc it began  )  and  quite a few  very much under 18 dancers  in those classes  ( Anna's class  can bew very eclectic in attendance , you can  literally have  a 12 year old followed by  young  freelancer pro performer , followed by 40+ year old recreational dancer  followed by a Former Principal dancer  along the same barre)

image.png.f5549ffbfdaa27f0d47f49401448f1fb.png

image.thumb.png.028f461d60bedffc6fcbd7bbbb72f20d.png

Edited by NJH

Thank you so much everyone!   You've been really helpful !    I know that his mum is taking him on a tour of the Opera House, but haven't yet heard if they managed anything else.  Anyway, I shall take note of your recommendations for other students.

In the course of my enquiries, I discovered London Boys Ballet School.  Unfortunately their trip wasn't over a Saturday, so he couldn't take classes there, but I see that they have a summer school.  I know it's a pretty new school, but they apparently have about 150 boys currently training there.  So incredible for all the normally lone boys to actually dance in a class of boys! Does anyone have any info about the summer school?   That might be something very special to recommend to our few brave boys!  Now that travel is opening up more - next summer might finally see us sending students away to a summer school!

• Like 2