White Lodge Open Day?

AllAboutTheJourney

16 hours ago, Balletmummy18 said:

Just to add we found the academic side at the school fantastic (& I’m a hard person to please being a secondary school teacher!) My dd left with all grade 9s and one 8 in in her GCSEs in July despite the pandemic.

Thanks that's really good to hear - and well done to her!

I am determined not to get carried away by the 'name' and to find out as much as we would expect to know from any high school we were considering for our children (while appreciating this is all a long shot of course!) But there's no point, in my mind, in letting DD even apply if we wouldn't be happy letting her take up a place if it miraculously happened to be offered. 

• Like 1

That’s a very sensible approach as we certainly did no expect dd to gain a place. It’s important to remember that each child is very different .

With hindsight, despite the brilliant academic results for her- we made a huge mistake and very much regret her going there as she suffered a traumatic experience artistically. HOWEVER this was not true for everyone and some in her year( she has just left yr 11) absolutely thrived . It’s important to know the good and bad even with such a prestigious place as your child is far more important than a school. 

• Like 13

18 hours ago, Waverley said:

Absolutely - we're in two minds about the whole thing anyway, trying to be led by DD but only if we've done a lot of research and feel fully aware of the potential positives and negatives. This forum has already been invaluable for that so thank you.  

This sounds like a very sensible approach, Waverley.  I agree that the standard of pastoral care and fair, age/skeletally-appropriate teaching is vital, as well as academics.  

Looking back, I wish I had remembered that despite how small the ballet world is, and despite the omnipresence of the constant, if unspoken mantra, “you’re lucky to be here”, if I wouldn’t have tolerated behaviours by an academic school, I shouldn’t have tolerated them by a ballet school.  

If you can - and this applies to any full-time ballet school - get as many first-hand experiences from other parents as you can, via DM if preferable, and go with your gut feeling.  

• Like 7

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Balleteveryday said:

Realise this thread is a couple of years old but does anyone know if they are still inviting Y6 JAs to White Lodge? We’ve had no notifications but I have seen another Y6 student who has clearly gone in the last few days under the banner of ‘insight day’. 

I saw this too and wondered the same! 

• Like 1

The published Insights for the Associates for 2024 take place in various locations and

Booking will open on Wednesday 29 November 2023

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/dancer-training/associate-programme/associate-insight-days/

21 minutes ago, Balleteveryday said:

Floral Street based 

The audition Insights was yes Floral Street and has been and gone!

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/participate/insight-days/audition-insight-day/

Not seen anything about a White Lodge based Insight that took place recently!

• Like 1