Royal Ballet Swan Lake 2022 Casting - and pricing

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

He does excel as Benno, but I think he also excels in princely roles. Both because of the elegance of his dancing and because of the quality of his character and acting.

Absolutely. Whether as Des Grieux, Florimund orAlbrecht. The quality of his dance acting reminds me of David Wall, and he’s quite the virtuoso too. The quality of human nobility is not measured in inches. I doubt he’d wish to dance Benno again, but he’s breath-takingly good in the Act 3 Trio with Hayward and Takada from 2018.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 9

I'll probably be shot down for saying this but here goes!  It seems to me that styles of dance, particularly for men, have changed somewhat. Dancers like Bonelli, Campbell, have a rather more elegant style than some like Sambe, Corales,whose dancing seems to be to be rather more ' flashy ' - very exciting to watch, but quite different to dancers like Campbell. I found it very interesting to watch them both in DAAG. Quite different, both enjoyable - just a case of individual preference. Perhaps Muntagirov manages to combine both styles! I should add that my poor mobility means I can only see RB dancers so my views are a bit limited.

• Like 11

I am so excited and pleased for Claire Calvert.  She is such a lovely ballerina and an accomplished interpreter in every role. Her beautiful legs, arms and particularly her gorgeous feet are perfect for this role. I've got a feeling that this performance is going to be such a great success that KOH will be sorry he didn't give her a couple more shows. Well deserved  - and about time.

It would be great to start a thread (if it hasn't already been done) on particular dancers who despite always giving amazing performances either don't get promoted or and therefore don't get to dance certain roles. Romany Pajdak immediately springs to mind.....🙏🏽

• Like 5

Not casting but I wasn't sure whether to add a new thread for this: the Friends' magazine lists these prices (though no seat map):

Stalls: £145 £138 £131 £123

SC (far sides): £67 £46 £29 £11

SC: £145 £138 £131 £115 £81 £67 £29 £11

GT: £145

GT boxes: £138 £131 £115

Balcony: £138 £131 £123 £98 £67 £29 £11

Balcony boxes: £46

Slips: £19 £11 £8

Amphi: £98 £81 £67 £46 £29 £19 £8

Ouch!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Not casting but I wasn't sure whether to add a new thread for this: the Friends' magazine lists these prices (though no seat map):

Stalls: £145 £138 £131 £123

SC (far sides): £67 £46 £29 £11

SC: £145 £138 £131 £115 £81 £67 £29 £11

GT: £145

GT boxes: £138 £131 £115

Balcony: £138 £131 £123 £98 £67 £29 £11

Balcony boxes: £46

Slips: £19 £11 £8

Amphi: £98 £81 £67 £46 £29 £19 £8

Ouch!

With amphi best costing £98, I’d rather fork out the difference for hugely better view in stalls/SC/GT. 

• Like 2

Yikes. Looking back at my Swan Lake tickets from 2020 (none of which were used as the performances were all after 14th March), with package booking I got stalls for £94.30. With presumably no backage booking this time, I'd have to pay 30% more to get the same seat. Looks like I won't be seeing much of Swan Lake.

• Like 1

Swan Lake has much greater reach than any other ballet except Nutcracker, so it is an interesting test case.

A quick glance at West End musicals, which I think is a decent reference for SL, suggests that they top out at about £125, so it's not that far adrift.

Also it will feel relatively cheap for people who normally just go to the opera.

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

Also it will feel relatively cheap for people who normally just go to the opera.

I spent nearly 15 years just seeing opera at the ROH before I finally saw the RB live. Unfortunately I quickly discovered that the cheaper stalls circle side seats that are generally fine for opera are considerably less satisfactory for ballet. So I'm having to spend more money to get "decent" seats for ballet than I did for opera, even though the top prices are higher for most operas than most ballets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

I spent nearly 15 years just seeing opera at the ROH before I finally saw the RB live. Unfortunately I quickly discovered that the cheaper stalls circle side seats that are generally fine for opera are considerably less satisfactory for ballet. So I'm having to spend more money to get "decent" seats for ballet than I did for opera, even though the top prices are higher for most operas than most ballets.

I'm in the same boat! I have to go up a rung for ballet, but that's usually (though not this season!) been offset by the cheaper scale.

Anyway, I was referring to those who'll be paying over £100, and at that price you can get a decent view anyway and won't need to upgrade.

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet Swan Lake 2022 Casting - and pricing
3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

There are a *huge* number of seats greyed out this time - I remember before Autumn booking the box office telling someone this didn't mean anything at this stage, but I've no idea why they've done it this way. (Booking hasn't opened for any level of Friends so it can't realistically represent sold seats.)

E-mail about packages ....doesn't say if you can book multiple Swan Lakes to make up a package

For the Winter 2021/22 programme, you can only buy packages over the phone. Just call the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday 10am–6pm) to book from 19 October. 

DESIGN-YOUR-OWN

10% off top four prices in the Orchestra Stalls and Stalls Circle.

5% off top four prices in the Amphitheatre.

Minimum 3 productions (you can choose from Tosca, Nabucco, The Marriage of Figaro, Theodora and Swan Lake).

Excluding: Tosca on 25 February, Swan Lake on 7 March (Amphitheatre seats), 19 March and 10 May.

Also doesn't specify which performances on 19 March (matinee is Welcome Performance)  and 10 May (matinee is Schools performance)

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

E-mail about packages ....doesn't say if you can book multiple Swan Lakes to make up a package

I haven't had the email but as previously  I suspect that  you can choose only one performance from  each of 3 or more different productions, per package.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked - that didn't go as smoothly as last time: when I was first logged in, I got an error message for every seat I tried; once I'd logged out and back in again it worked OK, though all the seats I'd previously tried to put in my basket were showing as unavailable. I'd be inclined to write that off as coincidence except that when I deleted some seats from my basket a bit further along, they didn't appear on the seat map as available again afterwards.

If others are having the same, it may (partly) explain why the amphi side seats now appear pretty thin on the ground - if not, be warned!

• Like 1

For some strange reason, the start of booking for Friends+ today had rather passed me by so it was a good job I happened to look at the Forum this morning!

Booked for 1st and 16th March - I hope I get a bonus this year to pay for them (!)

• Like 1

• alison locked this topic
  • alison unlocked this topic