Royal Ballet Swan Lake 2022 Casting - and pricing

If you're looking for a particular cast....

Tuesday 1 March 2022                          Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov

Saturday 5 March 2022                         Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov

Thursday 10 March 2022                       Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov

Thursday 3 March 2022                         Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke

Monday 14 March 2022                         Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke

Tuesday 22 March 2022                        Natalia Osipova, Reece Clarke

Friday 4 March 2022                             Fumi Kaneko, Federico Bonelli

Saturday 19 March 2022                       Fumi Kaneko, Federico Bonelli     (Welcome Performance)

Monday 7 March 2022                           Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball

Saturday 19 March 2022                       Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball

Wednesday 9 March 2022                     Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé

Friday 25 March 2022                            Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé

Friday 11 March 2022                            Mayara Magri, Cesar Corrales

Tuesday 22 March 2022                        Mayara Magri, Cesar Corrales

Wednesday 16 March 2022                   Francesca Hayward, William Bracewell

Friday 25 March 2022                            Francesca Hayward, William Bracewell

Wednesday 4 May 2022                        Akane Takada, Steven McRae

Monday 16 May 2022                            Akane Takada, Steven McRae

Tuesday 10 May 2022                           Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell   (Schools matinee)

Friday 13 May 2022                               Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Thursday 19 May 2022                          Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Tuesday 10 May 2022                           Claire Calvert, Nicol Edmonds

Tuesday 17 May 2022                           Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Saturday 28 May 2022                          Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Thankyou for posting this. 
It’s interesting as I had originally booked Swan Lake in Spring 2020 with Hayward and Corrales which of course didn’t happen. 
So now looks as if that partnering isn’t happening for Swan Lake. 
Ive not seen either of these two in the roles so now looks like at least two trips! 
I think the Corrales Magri partnership could be an interesting one so that would be my number one choice at the moment....But Hayward Bracewell is a must too!! A pity these performances are SO close together though! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

But not with Takada, alas. Their partnership was OUTSTANDING in the first year of the production.

Yes I agree - also Takada/Bonelli was pretty special last year. I would have been very happy to see either of those combinations again, but I would recommend  seeing  Akane  in this  whoever she is partnered with. 

• Like 4

I am soooo thrilled for Claire Calvert in particular.  Here is an extract from an interview @ToThePointe did with her back in 2018:

Dancing the lead in Swan Lake would be a dream come true for her. “Odette and Odile show both sides to a woman and that is something that I would love to do. It’s the epitome of being a ballerina to dance those roles and it shows the two different sides of classical technique. Odette is the pure adage style and then Odile is virtuoso and strong. For me that really does show the ultimate ballerina.”

Claire deserves having her dream come true with her debut in this role.  Best of luck to her.

I am also especially delighted for Anna-Rose O'Sullivan since she is missing out on Giselle this time around.  

• Like 18

48 minutes ago, capybara said:

Also, isn’t Romeo a debut for Alexander?”

Yes....looking forward to this, with Takada. He has performed Albrecht before (as a replacement for Sambe), when Hayward debuted as Giselle....my first live Royal Ballet attendance!

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It's a Royal Ballet Romeo debut for Alex but I saw him do a couple of GLORIOUS performances when he was with BRB.

I know! But it’s 10 years since he transferred to the RB and I’m really pleased for him that he is cast now.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

On 20/09/2021 at 12:22, Richard LH said:

Good to see Bracewell getting much of the heavy lifting 🏋️‍♂️ - remind me why he is not a Principal again?!

On 20/09/2021 at 12:28, capybara said:

But not with Takada, alas. Their partnership was OUTSTANDING in the first year of the production.

Bracewell is indeed a busy boy with more performances than anyone in this run. Well deserved, too (and I also seem to forget that he isn't a principal). I think that the Bracewell/Hayward partnership will be sublime, if their previous pairings are anything to go by. Similarly, Magri and Corrales should be a great fit! It will be very hard to narrow down, I would love to see them all, but fear that funds will not stretch that far, particularly at the Swan Lake prices.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Bracewell is indeed a busy boy with more performances than anyone in this run. Well deserved, too (and I also seem to forget that he isn't a principal). I think that the Bracewell/Hayward partnership will be sublime, if their previous pairings are anything to go by. Similarly, Magri and Corrales should be a great fit! It will be very hard to narrow down, I would love to see them all, but fear that funds will not stretch that far, particularly at the Swan Lake prices.

My thoughts to the word!

Yes it would be great to see a couple of others perform who  I’ve never seen in Swan Lake but I’ve got a lot more fussy where I sit since reaching the old three scores and ten so have to make choices and generally go to less performances. 
Still it’s always good to try for a scs standing nearer the time for an extra performance as luckily they do pop up on the Forum from time to time!! 
I spent so much money on R&J and Giselle that I’m already standing for Nutcracker! 

Re: Clare Calvert. I am so pleased that she is getting the opportunity to dance a role she has long coveted. But all that preparation for one performance is such a shame. Just as last season, Melissa Hamilton got one Manon ( and  in her case, not a performance you could book). Surely there must be a way to ensure all that coaching  isn’t wasted. Plus, for first soloists who, to put it kindly, have reached  a stage in their career  where they are  unlikely  to be promoted to Principal, and are obviously only going to get one or two lead roles in a season, it would be ‘nice’ and ‘ fair’ were they to have more than one opportunity to  perform in the role. But I guess ,sadly, niceness and  fairness doesn’t come into such decision making.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Yes, but she is the only non-principal apart from Reece Clarke and he seems to be Osipova's only partner these days.

As someone who likes Clarke but is not very keen on Osipova I find this disappointing. It looks like I won't be seeing Clarke in any lead roles this coming season because there are so many female dancers who I want to see far more than Osipova in each piece.

There are 5 Swan Lake casts I'd really like to see but with prices what they are I don't think I'll be able to afford all of them, especially as, with SL being the only mainstage ballet in the next booking period, there presumably won't be package discounts.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

with SL being the only mainstage ballet in the next booking period, there presumably won't be package discounts.

Good point....this is going to be expensive! 🤔

I suppose opera buffs can go for a "Design Your Own" package including SL,  but the discount is limited to 5% (Amphi) or 10% (Stalls or Stalls Circle) 

15 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I agree - he is much more Benno-esque than princely, and it shows him at his best. 

He does excel as Benno, but I think he also excels in princely roles. Both because of the elegance of his dancing and because of the quality of his character and acting.

• Like 12