Hofesh Shechter - Double Murder (Sadlers Wells)

Just back from a really enjoyable evening watching Hofesh Shechter's double bill at Sadlers Wells. 

The first part is the company’s 2016 choreography, 'Clowns', described in the programme as 'dark, funny, macabre and murderous', and it’s all that; effervescent dancing, performed crisply by a very fit, energetic and well-rehearsed company of ten who coordinate intricate movements to a driving soundtrack of a drumming and choral combination. It was terrific.

The second piece, 'The Fix', was calmer by comparison to the earlier performance, exploring (as I understood it) the relationship of seven friends, one of whom was alternately anxiously seeking his fix, enjoying his friends company and, finally, needing their support as he suffered a post-intoxicating withdrawal. Not as vibrant or amusing as the first piece but certainly thought provoking. 

My first taste of Hofesh Shechter but, like the character in the second piece, I shall certainly look forward to watching them again. 

• Like 4

Just watched tonight’s performance from high up in the second circle and still felt the impact of everything!

the performance was packed with signature Schechter movement and motifs; rhythmic bouncing and fluid partnering, all to really exceptional intense scores by the choreographer himself.

Clowns was all at once violent, goofy, serious, pure entertainment. The crowd was buzzing tonight and loved the participation in the beginning as well as a very campy post performance section.

The new piece was not as lighthearted or comedic. The programme indicated that the work centred on what we wanted most over the last year and a half- a hug. The seven dancers seemed emotionally tied to each other, but all also in their own heads and anxieties. The section I found most striking was in fact the most simple, they sit down, cross legged, while the pulsing score continues to get louder. After this there’s a change in dynamic, they observe each other, cradle each other. And even find a way to spread the love to the audience (I won’t give it away). Again the crowd loved it and I noticed couples and groups of friends turning to each other after the show to give them a hug. 

I’m sure that’s exactly what Hofesh wanted! 

• Like 1