New Culture Secretary

In the Prime Minister's cabinet reshuffle earlier today, Oliver Dowden has been replaced as "Culture Secretary" (I can't remember the full title) by Nadine Dorries.  I'm not sure what the implications of that are, but there's about to be a discussion on BBC Radio 4's Front Row.

2 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Yikes! 

Could have been worse than Dorries; for 30 minutes this afternoon I thought Michael Gove was going to get the Culture brief. Having said that Dorries is not a fan of the BBC (apparently she's one of those Tories that thinks it's a leftie paradise) which does not bode well for the BBC or Channel 4 (which no doubt will be fast tracked for privatisation).

47 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Oh good grief, she's my MP.

I don't know how much she knows about culture, but she didn't give a toss when I contacted her about funding for vocational dance training several years ago. 

I think you have answered your own question. I long for the days of Chris Smith in the Blair government, then again he didn’t last long. Too pro arts I seem to remember

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I think you have answered your own question. I long for the days of Chris Smith in the Blair government, then again he didn’t last long. Too pro arts I seem to remember

Is Chris Smith the only Culture Secretary who ever expressed an interest in culture? I can't think of any others. You get the impression that anything to do with culture is a big turn off for most politicians who are more concerned with establishing their 'ordinary' credentials which usually means wearing a baseball cap (remember William Hague) or expressing an interest in football (even if he forgets the name of the team he supports; David Cameron)

The lack of political support for culture is very sad. It is as if the Arts are seen as elitist, something for upper class 'toffs' to attend and not something that should be for everyone to enjoy and enrich their  lives. It started at school with the gradual erosion of music and possibly drama classes, and now seems to be effecting higher education with political intervention to reduce funding of Arts courses. Yet from a purely economic point of view (one you would think the Tories would appreciate) the Arts contribute massively to the economy and exports, and are an important reason for foreign tourists to choose to come to this country. Boris Johnson was quick enough to congratulate Emma Raducanu on her sensational winning of the US Open but I'm still waiting for any politician to say what a world beating ballet star or actor they've seen in this country and how lucky we are to have such talent for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Is Chris Smith the only Culture Secretary who ever expressed an interest in culture? I can't think of any others. You get the impression that anything to do with culture is a big turn off for most politicians who are more concerned with establishing their 'ordinary' credentials which usually means wearing a baseball cap (remember William Hague) or expressing an interest in football (even if he forgets the name of the team he supports; David Cameron)

The lack of political support for culture is very sad. It is as if the Arts are seen as elitist, something for upper class 'toffs' to attend and not something that should be for everyone to enjoy and enrich their  lives. It started at school with the gradual erosion of music and possibly drama classes, and now seems to be effecting higher education with political intervention to reduce funding of Arts courses. Yet from a purely economic point of view (one you would think the Tories would appreciate) the Arts contribute massively to the economy and exports, and are an important reason for foreign tourists to choose to come to this country. Boris Johnson was quick enough to congratulate Emma Raducanu on her sensational winning of the US Open but I'm still waiting for any politician to say what a world beating ballet star or actor they've seen in this country and how lucky we are to have such talent for everyone to enjoy.

Lord Gowrie in the 1980s perhaps? Obviously pre-culture department.

The only thing Nadine Dorries knows about the arts is what it's like to appear on telly in I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here.

And that went down like a lead balloon with her constituents, not to mention the local Tory party HQ... especially since she pushed off to Australia without telling them, and they only found out where she was because it was all over the newspapers a couple of days later. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Yes, at least Chris Smith actually attended the ROH, at the re-opening I remember him promising all sorts of things for the future at the People's Opera House, no wonder he had to go 😏 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Diandri said:

Could have been worse than Dorries; for 30 minutes this afternoon I thought Michael Gove was going to get the Culture brief. Having said that Dorries is not a fan of the BBC (apparently she's one of those Tories that thinks it's a leftie paradise) which does not bode well for the BBC or Channel 4 (which no doubt will be fast tracked for privatisation).

Didn't I read somewhere that Michael Gove likes opera?