Choreography In Public Domain

dancegrad

Hi again all, I was hoping for some help. I tried searching on this forum and don't think this has been answered before and am struggling to uncover the correct answer in my google searches. I am currently researching a potential performance opportunity and think I have found a site which contains public domain recordings of classical music (though if you know of any please do share). What I am now struggling to find out is if classical ballet choreography is in the public domain and therefore doesn't require permission from a certain authority to be performed? For example if someone were to perform the blue bird solo would they be able to do so without gaining permission from a trust? I know that all of Balanchine's choreography is held in a trust of which you have to gain permission from them to be able to learn and perform it but is this the same with other choreographers, especially the ones who created the classics? Not sure if there is an answer to this but anything anyone knows would be ever so helpful. 

Thank you all in advance for your help x

In the UK something generally goes into the public domain 70 years after the death of the creator. Choreographers are usually very protective of their work. 

As Balanchine died in 1983 there is quite some time to go fir his work. 

• Like 2