I’m sharing information about this interesting gala taking place on 23 October 2021 in a venue new to me, the Lanterns Studio Theatre in London E14.  It is curated by dancer Henry Dowden, of English National Ballet, and is the first of what he hopes will be a series of performances mixing the old with the new.  For those who missed Francesco Gabriele Frola’s spectacular Acteon in Ivan Putrov’s gala last week, this is the chance to see him in another gala favourite, the pas de deux from “Don Quixote”, partnering his ENB colleague, Katja Khaniukova, whose performance of this at the 2017 Emerging Dancer Awards, with the 2016 winner Cesar Corrales, brought the house down.  ENB’s Jeffrey Cirio and his sister Lia (principal with Boston Ballet) have an experimental group called the Cirio Collective which comes together each summer in the USA to produce new work but I believe this is the first time his choreography will be seen in the UK.  He has created a solo to music by Chopin which will be played live by Viktor Erik Emanuel.  Luke Ahmet will dance a solo from “Communion” in tribute to the late Robert Cohan, and Constance Devernay and Barnaby Rook Bishop will perform the Act II pas de deux from David Dawson's "Swan Lake".  The evening will also feature new choreography from Daniel Davidson, Kennedy Muntanga Ft, Olivia Grassot and Hannah Rudd.  Seating is unreserved but we are assured that there are excellent sightlines from all seats (priced at £45, or £60 for the front row).  I hope people will consider supporting this enterprising new venture.

Unfortunately I have been unable to upload on here the flyer I received but I believe it can be found by logging onto the ticket website.

Tickets are available from www.ticketsource.co.uk/BalletNights and I found the booking process very straightforward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

An interesting initiative. Henry Dowden is branching into producing at a very early point in his career. Good luck to him.

What a pity that he has chosen a date on which there are two performances of R&J at The Royal Opera House.

Perhaps aimed at a different audience with lighter wallets? Totally different type of program and £45.00 get's the mid-amphi at the ROH. The R&J matinee on the 23rd doesn't seem to be selling that well (nor the amphi for any of the performances) but it is still 6 weeks out.

Edited by oncnp

32 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Perhaps aimed at a different audience with lighter wallets? Totally different type of program and £45.00 get's the mid-amphi at the ROH. The R&J matinee on the 23rd doesn't seem to be selling that well (nor the amphi for any of the performances) but it is still 6 weeks out.

I take you point but I was thinking, "Damn", I'm already booked on that day. I never study the sales pattern for tickets: once I've got mine, I'm done with the seating plans.

It must be so difficult to pitch the prices with a new venture and location and I hope that £45 and £60 will work out for them.

18 minutes ago, capybara said:

I never study the sales pattern for tickets: once I've got mine, I'm done with the seating plans.

As I'm on my 6th (or 7th) flight cancel/rebook and my 3rd different airport, I'm just keeping an eye on ticket sales to see my chances of a resale if the whole trip falls through. 

Edited by oncnp

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

As I'm on my 6th (or 7th) flight cancel/rebook and my 3rd different airport, I'm just keeping an eye on ticket sales to see my chances of a resale if the whole trip falls through. 

Goodness - poor you. It's no wonder you're a connoisseur 😊

The Lanterns Theatre is quite small though sight lines are good and you would be close to the dancers. It’s probably smaller than the ROH Linbury so tickets could sell out fast. 
Its about a 10-15 min walk from Canary Wharf tube station. 
Unfortunately for attending this gala which looks very interesting am also at the ROH on 23rd. 

Hello Everybody!

I would like to introduce myself, Jamiel Laurence, as the creative lead behind the recent announcement of a new style of evening of classical, neoclassical & contemporary dance - BALLET NIGHTS

I am absolutely thrilled that the conversation has begun around the event, especially on this particular platform, and I would like to make myself available for any questions relating to our event, the acts, programming choices, our hospitality options (including a discount at our local Hilton, Canary Wharf), the venue and absolutely anything else that You as an audience member would like to know about BALLET NIGHTS.

This particular endeavour is all about audiences forging the evenings of dance that they would like to see; watching their favourite dance artists up close & personal and dancing on one of the largest sprung floor stages in the U.K.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, The Lanterns Studio Theatre can accomodate 300 seated audience members for this event, and that is why I am seeking to do for dance what venues like the Comedy Store L.A. have done for stand up - developing emerging artists and established stars alongside one another while building a new scene in which Classical Ballet and Contemporary dance can be accessed by dance enthusiasts.

You can probably see that there is a lot of "new" happening around this event, and that is where pairing our event with the emerging hospitality sector in the London City Island / Docklands area comes in via our partnership with The Lockdown Room - with doors open at 6.30pm to allow for time to enjoy a selection of hand picked craft beer, wine options and an exclusive gin pop-up.

I am here to listen and learn from our audiences rather than market to them blindly, and so please do not hesitate to reply to this thread with you thoughts, or email me at BalletNightsUK@Gmail.com

• Like 3

Yes I would definitely go to this if not otherwise engaged! It’s a pleasant walk from Canary Wharf ....I like anything where bridges are concerned lol and have been before on a few occasions to see some amateur productions but this is a step up!! 
I really hope it’s a success as any chance to see dancers so closely is very welcome 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes I would definitely go to this if not otherwise engaged! It’s a pleasant walk from Canary Wharf ....I like anything where bridges are concerned lol and have been before on a few occasions to see some amateur productions but this is a step up!! 
I really hope it’s a success as any chance to see dancers so closely is very welcome 

Hi LinMM,

Thank you for your kind words, and thoughts around the location for the launch.

We would really like to build community around this event - almost like a Ballet "Club" in the same way a Ronnie Scotts or Laugh Factory has repeat visitors that help steer the subsequent events to meet the needs of those seeking something outside of the standard opera house/proscenium show style of presenting dance.

I am also thinking of launching an exclusive discount options for Ballet.co forum members who are in support of this new endeavour, and would welcome suggestions for what a "BALLET NIGHTS membership" could look like longer term once we achieve more regularity for this event.

Each act will also be preceded by our compere, (Me!), to really highlight the 'what' and the 'why' of how each act was hand picked to take part in our launch and offer a deeper connection to the work being shown for those who may be new to this side of the theatrical economy. We hope to see emerging artists of today becoming the main-stage artists of tomorrow!! 

Where we are at now 6 weeks out of the event is with our focus on Ticket Sales, and so if you would like to Like, Share and spread the word about BALLET NIGHTS to friends and family, this would be greatly appreciated by all involved as we seek to remain financially independent of the traditional funding sources associated with the Arts in the UK and build our own community from scratch.

www.BalletNights.com

IG: https://www.instagram.com/balletnights/

Twitter: @BalletNights 

Tickets: www.TicketSource.co.uk/BalletNights

email: BalletNightsUK@Gmail.com

Jamiel Laurence

Executive Producer

Personally I think £45 / £60 is very reasonable for such close intimate seating and a rich programme.  There is no need for a discount for balletco members in my view.   The difference between say £40 and £45 won’t make much difference to the audience, and could make a difference to ticket income.  

One problem I can see, will be the unfamiliar journey to Canary Wharf.  And then catching trains home out of central London.  I don’t know if services are back to pre-pandemic timings yet.  I do hope the show ends early enough.  

As fir me personally,  I am at the R&J matinee at RB that day … Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell.   I’m sure it will be sensational!   And I am not going to the evening R&J performance, so I will go to the Lantern for this new endeavour.   Bravo Jamie & Henry 

• Like 1

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for your support and for your valuable feedback. (Some companies would be 000's deep in market research before they came across those types of clear concise concerns around location, pricing and attitudes towards value!!)

Of course location is very subjective, but I am keen to dispel the myths around the Docklands location making Lanterns a destination venue.

As a regular traveller, the day I stopped using the DLR and instead started using the Canary Wharf Jubilee line i realised I was shaving up to 20 minutes of my journey into Covent Garden and the west end. That being said, East London is still considered to be "a bit out of the way," and it is my hope that the improved transport links will attract committed audience members who will be rewarded with an cityscape that is barely recognisable, even going back just 5 years, thanks to a concentrated effort on the development of the island.

With Canary Wharf announced as now becoming residential, and most banks/law firms only returning 40% of their workforce to their physical desks, already the South Quay district, where Lanterns is located, has become almost exclusively residential but lacking in any form of cultural outlet or things to see & do. The relocation of English National Ballet has also played an important role in making this show possible, with several ENB artists now on our doorstep.

I am still awaiting the % off code from our local Hilton, should that be of any assistance with the option to stay right by the venue that evening, and I will announce that information as/when it becomes finalised.

I do hope that you will enjoy your double ballet show experience, and we are honoured to be hosting you at our launch event.

Jamiel

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 11:01, Scheherezade said:

Thank you for this, Jamiel. Canary Wharf isn't the best location for me as I live out to the West of London, tend to drive in and the traffic is usually horrendous crossing to the east, but I wish you the very best of luck and hope to come over some time.

Hi Scheherezade,

I compteley understand! That traffic has always been a real nightmare for me also.

If helpful, we can supply you with a parking space right by the front door. Please do feel free to email us if you would like to know more.

Jamiel

• Like 1

OUR 15% OFF HILTON CANARY WHARF OFFER IS HERE !!!

For anyone interested in making it an overnight trip, BALLET NIGHTS have teamed up with HILTON London Canary Wharf so that we can offer our audience discounted rates for their hotel which is LITERALLY located a stones throw from the venue.

For more information and to use the discount code visit https://www.balletnights.com/hilton-discount

Jamiel

21 minutes ago, Jamiel Laurence said:

Hi Scheherezade,

I compteley understand! That traffic has always been a real nightmare for me also.

If helpful, we can supply you with a parking space right by the front door. Please do feel free to email us if you would like to know more.

Jamiel

Thank you so much, Jamiel, that would be an enormous help!

Hi All,

The team & I over at BALLET NIGHTS are pleased to share our confirmed programme for our 2021 Launch, which was submitted in its final from for press, media and programme printing etc. earlier today.

We hope to become a taster platform for companies at all scales, and I would like to thank English National Ballet, Scottish Ballet & Rambert for releasing their dancers for this engagement.

If anyone would like to any further information on the acts found on the tile below, please do not hesitate to contact me via BalletNightsUK@Gmail.com

859186014_PosterSquare.thumb.png.e38b8231264952f37bccd1ac5287d6ac.png

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Jamiel,

It looks like a scintillating evening.  Unfortunately I have another commitment on that evening or I would have been tempted to make my first trip to London since before lockdown in March 2020.

I hope it is a resounding success.

Hi Janet,

Thats quite the endorsement, and we would be sure to make it worth your while! I look forward to seeing you at a future show (for which acts are beginning to materialise already....!)

Jamiel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jamiel, I think a lot of ballet enthusiasts on this forum would love to come to your show but you chose a very heavy weekend ballet-wise, with 4 performances of Romeo and Juliet at the ROH in the space of just over 40 hours - and that's just a start.

Also, now that the nights are drawing in, it is more difficult for some people to contemplate going to a new venue in an unfamiliar part of London, especially where a bit of a walk from the station is involved for anyone on their own.

Good luck with your venture. I will make a real effort to get there in the future.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Jamiel, I think a lot of ballet enthusiasts on this forum would love to come to your show but you chose a very heavy weekend ballet-wise, with 4 performances of Romeo and Juliet at the ROH in the space of just over 40 hours - and that's just a start.

Also, now that the nights are drawing in, it is more difficult for some people to contemplate going to a new venue in an unfamiliar part of London, especially where a bit of a walk from the station is involved for anyone on their own.

Good luck with your venture. I will make a real effort to get there in the future.

Hi Capybara,

It would be wonderful to welcome you to our future March/April event (TBC).

On your point regarding the timing of this event, we are not seeking to compete for space with the main scale Classical Ballet/Contemporary dance schedule, but rather to both augment and extend it by doing something alternative. I believe that there is a gap here in which we could create an event that both welcomes new audiences who have yet to access this highly engaging and communicative art form, alongside giving Ballet enthusiasts like yourself something else to add to the calendar should there be a space for it. We are never going to be able to find a date that works for everyone, but it is our hope that moving forwards on a quarterly basis might create a new sense of regularity for this new community of co-investors in the future of live dance.

With regards to the area safety factor, The Docklands is truly transformed from the deserted island I grew up in the 90's,  under construction for my teenage years in during the 00's and now visit with absolute astonishment in 2021. The walk from Canary Wharf station is well lit, clear and monitored by several security companies operating the numerous residential towers in the area. I also highly recommend the West India Quay Crossrail restaurant plaza for a meal before or Hazev restaurant on the river if wanting something closer. South Quay DLR is a literal 3 minute riverside walk along the areas most coveted development area, surrounded by new and exciting architectural marvels (in my opinion :) ...!).

With bankers and lawyers now working remotely and the Canary Wharf Central area transforming to become fully residential by the day, it is my hope that this venture will grow with the new trend and become a standalone Classical Ballet and Contemporary Dance feature in its own right.

As you can probably tell, after sitting in the Lanterns Studio Theatre today and watching our concert pianist rehearse live alongside Hannah Rudd working on her choreography, IM VERY EXCITED!!

Please do continue to let me know how in future we could continue to build this into the experience you are looking for.

Jamiel Laurence

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

When I looked at it on the map, it didn't appear to be far from Canary Wharf station at all, though.

Hi Alison,

Indeed we are very close, and its quite the walk to experience as I detail above.

The Lanterns Studio Theatre isn't the only thing trying to tempt more of the west end crowd across... ;)

Jamiel

• Like 1

Hi Jamiel.  I am one of those people Capybara mentioned who is seeing multiple R&Js this weekend.  I hope that in future I can get out east to see one of your productions.  What a great venture;  I wish you the very best of luck with it.  :)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sim said:

Hi Jamiel.  I am one of those people Capybara mentioned who is seeing multiple R&Js this weekend.  I hope that in future I can get out east to see one of your productions.  What a great venture;  I wish you the very best of luck with it.  :)

We look forward to seeing you in March/April!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

How does one get on a mailing list when details are finalised?  I'd love to come (I pass Canary Wharf on my way to the Royal Opera House by car!) but have a terrible memory.

Hi Mary,

We are working on a mailing list via our website to be launched shortly - www.BalletNights.com - and I will be on here as soon as I have our poster and date to share. 

Jamiel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sim said:

Me too regarding the multiple R&J weekend. And I echo the rest of Sim’s sentiments too. 

• Like 1