Lower school auditions 2021-22

MissEmily

I thought I’d get this thread going to form a little support community for all of us with children (or a student in my case) going through the rollercoaster ride of the 2021-22 audition process together. Hopefully we can share the ups, downs and loop-the-loops of the upcoming year and help each other out along the way. I, for one, am already anxious about all these video auditions and how on earth we’re going to fit in all the filming! My student is 10 (starting Year 6) and will be applying to RBS, Elmhurst, Tring, Moorland and YDA. Her parents have English as a second language and are completely new to the ballet world, thus why I perhaps have more involvement in the process than other teachers!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Thanks for starting a thread. We are not yet decided about what to do this year - lots to think about!

Am I right in thinking that for RBS, the initial application/audition process is the same for both full time training and Mid Associates? Can anyone confirm? 

I think that’s correct. They will do prelims all together. It looks as though there’s more prelims this year as there is one in Leeds where I think it was previously Manchester which was the closest for us northerners. 

It looks as though Moorlands are video prelims, RBS are live, and I’m hoping Elmhurst are live as they are doing their live experience days. Tring have got open days too so hoping they’re also live. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this topic! My daughter wants to audition and I am completely clueless. I have tried searching topics but can only find old threads and am hoping for some help!

I know that RBS offers means testing fees to all students but what about the others? My daughter has her heart set on Tring but without financial help this won’t be possible- which she knows! Can anyone shed some light pls?

I know you can be invited to audition for awards, but what if you don’t get one? Is it then full fees regardless of income?

There are 2 types of offers for Tring. You are accepted after the preliminary audition and will pay full fees on accepting the offer (usually you have around a week to decide)

Or you will be invited to a funding audition, usually early March. Tring have a number of MDS ( music and dance scholarship) awards to give out each year but that number varies from year to year. Sometimes it’s 3 and sometimes 10 and anything in between. They are given to any year where potential is shown, not just yr 7.

If you are awarded an MDS after that audition, then it is means tested. If you are not awarded one then you will be put on a wait list. Most students are auditioning for more than one school and so some places become available if a student accepts an offer from another school. One of the problems to consider is the timing of all the final auditions and the time you have to accept offers. Other schools, such as RBS and Elmhurst have automatic scholarships on a place being offered which are means tested.

On 20/09/2021 at 19:22, Dancemum100 said:

Thanks for this topic! My daughter wants to audition and I am completely clueless. I have tried searching topics but can only find old threads and am hoping for some help!

I know that RBS offers means testing fees to all students but what about the others? My daughter has her heart set on Tring but without financial help this won’t be possible- which she knows! Can anyone shed some light pls?

I know you can be invited to audition for awards, but what if you don’t get one? Is it then full fees regardless of income?

Hello. RbS and elmhurst have around 14 spaces for boys and girls which are all mds (means tested)...Hammond have a mixture of mds and fee paying places (less mds places than elmhurst/hammond). I think most get invited to finals and then the they offer mds to the top dancers then others are placed on a waiting list and if people give up their mds places they offer them to those on the list...I think some years they have a small number of bursaries? Tring also have mds but the least amount for all the schools (I've heard about 3 per year but not sure how accurate this is). They don't take many to finals. Those who aren't offered mds are normally placed on a waiting list for it.....we got an offer to Tring but not funding finals so we weren't able to accept. Moorland and Yda don't have mds but they do offer a small number of bursaries or awards I think? Good luck with the auditions...its a rollercoaster we went through it last year and Dd is happy at Elmhurst now. Hope this helps xx