Press Release: English National Ballet's Raymonda by Tamara Rojo

Header_Dec2019English National Ballet
WORLD PREMIERE of Raymonda by Tamara Rojo
London Coliseum
13 - 23 January 2022
ballet.org.uk/raymonda    

The eagerly awaited world premiere of Raymonda by English National Ballet’s Artistic Director Tamara Rojo CBE, after Marius Petipa, will take place at the London Coliseum from 13 - 23 January 2022.

Marking her debut in choreography and direction, Rojo adapts this 19th- century classic for today’s audiences, revisiting this important but rarely performed work of the ballet canon which is not, in its entirety, in any other UK dance companies’ repertoire.

Bringing the story into the setting of the Crimean war and drawing inspiration from the groundbreaking spirit and work of the women supporting the war effort, including Florence Nightingale, Raymonda is recast as a young woman with a calling to become a nurse. With a new narrative and developed characterisation bringing women’s voices to the fore, Rojo’s Raymonda introduces a heroine in command of her own destiny.

Tamara Rojo said: “It continues to be a part of my vision for English National Ballet to look at classics with fresh eyes, to make them relevant, find new contexts, amplify new voices and ultimately evolve the art form. I have truly enjoyed delving into the creative process of adapting and choreographing a large-scale ballet.

Raymonda is a beautiful ballet – extraordinary music, exquisite and intricate original choreography – with a female lead who I felt deserved more of a voice, more agency in her own story. Working with my incredible creative team, I have set Raymonda in a new historical context, adapting the narrative in order to bring something unique, relevant and inspiring to our audiences.

“This story is about many themes; duty, war, patriotism, culture, but at its centre are the nurse characters – inspired by Florence Nightingale’s vision, drive and passion. Reflecting on the last 18months, we have seen how nurses, and many others in the medical sector, sacrifice so much to take care of other people and I hope this, in some small way, pays homage to them.”

Hear more from Tamara Rojo here. 

Rojo brings together a stellar production team for Raymonda with costume and set design by Antony McDonald, lighting design by Mark Henderson, dramaturgy by Lucinda Coxon, character dances by Vadim Sirotin, and choreology research and advice on the Sergeyev notation by Doug Fullington. Alexander Glazunov’s original score, adapted and edited by Gavin Sutherland and Lars Payne, will be performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Raymonda is a Co-Production between English National Ballet and Finnish National Opera and Ballet. It will be performed on tour at Southampton’s Mayflower Theatre 30 November – 03 December 2022. 

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

Raymonda by Tamara Rojo, after Marius Petipa
A Co-Production between English National Ballet and Finnish National Opera and Ballet
Production Partner: Mayflower Theatre, Southampton

UK Production Sponsor: Cunard

Listings: 

Raymonda WORLD PREMIERE  
London Coliseum 
13 – 23 January 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/raymonda

Raymonda 
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton  
30 November – 03 December 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/raymonda

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since. 

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages including The Bolshoi Theatre and Palais Garnier; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company’s repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.
www.ballet.org.uk

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let’s Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package, with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19

• Like 1

Janet, I had heard that it was coming to the Palace, Manchester Oct 2022 but can't remember the source.

I wish BRB and ENB announced their casting more in advance. If they're dancing it I'd like to see Tamara and Alina in Raymonda at the Coliseum and Brandon Lawrence in Don Q  at Birmingham. I was told Raymonda casting would be announced in Oct.  Any idea when Don Q casting will be announced?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Janet, I had heard that it was coming to the Palace, Manchester Oct 2022 but can't remember the source.

I wish BRB and ENB announced their casting more in advance. If they're dancing it I'd like to see Tamara and Alina  at the Coliseum

By all accounts, the Raymonda casting is the current roster of ENB Principals: Kochetkova, Takahashi, Oliviera, Mair and Kase. Tamara is the Producer, not the lead dancer.

I did message the company a week or so ago about the number of acts but haven't had a response yet. And yes it is disappointing that Manchester lost not only the premiere but, thus far, any dates at all.

Jan - I'll be seeing Alex Campbell as Romeo at ROH at the 11.30am matinee on 15 Jan and then planning to dash over to the Coli to catch the second (and third if there is one) act of the 2pm Raymonda matinee before seeing it fully at the Sunday matinee the next day. Can I tempt you?!

Edited by RHowarth

As far as I can see Raymonda is at the Coli in Jan and then in Southampton at the end of the year (2022) at the Mayflower. 
It doesn’t look ...currently ...if they are taking it anywhere else in 2022 so maybe 2023🤔

Unless of course some 2022 dates are still under discussion.

23 hours ago, alison said:

But Cojocaru isn't with ENB any more ...

I know she left ENB but I thought the door was left open enough for her to guest occasionally. It sounds like just her sort of role but possibly not to be.

Also hoped Tamara might dance it but perhaps at a later run when she won't have all the media attention of her first choreographed full length ballet. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2021 at 19:37, Jan McNulty said:

No idea Becca and worried that there is no mention of "Up North" dates given that this had been supposed to premiere in Manchester in Autumn 2020.

A "national tour" is still mentioned, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there'll be some Manchester performances. I did email ENB about this but never heard back from them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I know she left ENB but I thought the door was left open enough for her to guest occasionally. It sounds like just her sort of role but possibly not to be.

Also hoped Tamara might dance it but perhaps at a later run when she won't have all the media attention of her first choreographed full length ballet. 

I would just love to see Cojocaru (but don't hope that I will, in this) - but Rojo is nearly fifty and the role is a demanding one....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I would just love to see Cojocaru (but don't hope that I will, in this) - but Rojo is nearly fifty and the role is a demanding one....

Wow  I didn't realise Tamara was nearly 50. I vaguely thought she was early to mid 40s (as I suppose Alina is now). Also with all the organisational work for the company as well as the choreography I suppose it would be difficult if not impossible, to maintain the level of fitness necessary for a new full length ballet. I only thought of seeing them because I'm a bit out of touch with ENBs ballerinas and I know them. I'm sure whoever I see will be splendid.

Like maryrosesatonapin I  always thought the Raymonda plot (and character) was incredibly weak and thin even by ballet standards. In the 1980s Bolshoi recordings the only saving grace (for me) was the terrific villain of Gediminas Taranda who's one of the handsomest, most charismatic male dancers I've ever seen. In Raymonda  and Golden Age he even managed to upstage Irek Mukhamadov (not easy to do!) The only time I've seen it live is when the Bolshoi performed it at the Coliseum in 1999 where the fabulous Nina Anashvilli succeeded in making the ballet seem credible and the character interesting; an amazing achievement. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I've always thought 'Raymonda' is visually sumptuous with a bit of a silly story.  I gather the story has been 'improved' but worry this is at the expense of gorgeous costumes.  Somehow a nurse's outfit just doesn't have the glamour.  I wonder if bed pans and kidney bowls will feature?

Bearing in mind the Crimean War is the background for this re-working, the ideal setting for the last act would be one of the victory balls that Queen Victoria hosted in June 1856 in the newly finished ballroom at Buckingham Palace. You couldn’t get more sumptuous than that.

• Like 5

Dutch National Ballet are also creating a new production of Raymonda (Rachel Beaujean) but it will be more faithful to the original.  I really hope I can get to Amsterdam next year to see that and then compare to ENBs versions.  I too hope ENB will tour up north!

• Like 1

Speaking of Raymondas...it doesn't appear that the POB has rescheduled their new production that was lost (mostly) to the strike in late 2019. 

On 03/09/2021 at 23:09, jmhopton said:

Wow  I didn't realise Tamara was nearly 50. I vaguely thought she was early to mid 40s (as I suppose Alina is now). Also with all the organisational work for the company as well as the choreography I suppose it would be difficult if not impossible, to maintain the level of fitness necessary for a new full length ballet. I only thought of seeing them because I'm a bit out of touch with ENBs ballerinas and I know them. I'm sure whoever I see will be splendid.

Like maryrosesatonapin I  always thought the Raymonda plot (and character) was incredibly weak and thin even by ballet standards. In the 1980s Bolshoi recordings the only saving grace (for me) was the terrific villain of Gediminas Taranda who's one of the handsomest, most charismatic male dancers I've ever seen. In Raymonda  and Golden Age he even managed to upstage Irek Mukhamadov (not easy to do!) The only time I've seen it live is when the Bolshoi performed it at the Coliseum in 1999 where the fabulous Nina Anashvilli succeeded in making the ballet seem credible and the character interesting; an amazing achievement. 

I saw Nina at the Coliseum in 1999 too.  I still regard that as the greatest individual classical performance in a full length I have ever seen in over 40 years of ballet going.  Sylvie Guillem as Manon ran in as a close second.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I saw Nina at the Coliseum in 1999 too.  I still regard that as the greatest individual classical performance in a full length I have ever seen in over 40 years of ballet going.  Sylvie Guillem as Manon ran in as a close second.

I have Nina Ananiashvili’s 1999 Kitri up there with her Raymonda which I seem to recall being earlier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, capybara said:

I have Nina Ananiashvili’s 1999 Kitri up there with her Raymonda which I seem to recall being earlier.

Hope this link works. I'm not good at copying to my phone! 

This is a 1999 review of Raymonda. I found the whole season exciting as up until this point I'd never seen the Bolshoi live in full length works, only the 'ballet suites' devised by Derek Block in about 1993 at the Royal Albert Hall which were not great. This was the first Bolshoi season run by the Hochausers for a while as during the 1990s they concentrated on the Kirov. The Bolshoi was quite different with their different rep and dancers. They introduced ballets like Raymonda and Spartacus and dancers like Ananiashvili, Sergei Filin and Svetlana Lunkina whom I saw debut Kitri in Don Q on her birthday; I think she was 21. Happy days! 

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/1999/jul/21/artsfeatures3

• Like 2

When I asked ENB about casting they said it might be Oct before it's announced.  I hope it's earlier but I know they're not always as early as we'd like. Many balletgoers are like me and live a long way off and have to dovetail performances together to save on travel and accommodation. So if we want to book early to get the seats we want its often impossible to slip in an extra performance when casting is announced. That said, last time I looked a week or 2 ago there still seemed to be plenty of availability so perhaps I'll wait a bit longer before booking.

20 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve looked but although you can now book this I can’t see any casting. I don't even know if Frola will be in it but if he is I’d hate to miss him! 

Methinks it’s way too early for a casting announcement.

However, I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the piece will be built around prominent roles for the female members of the company rather than the men.  It will be interesting to see if there’s parity.

• Like 1