World Ballet Day 2021 - 19 October 2021

Guest oncnp

Sorry - could one of the mods please add the date to the title so people don't have to look for it.  I can't figure out how to edit it.  Thanks

• Jan McNulty changed the title to World Ballet Day 2021 - 19 October 2021
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, thank you for this. The schedule looks amazing! More & more companies are joining in. The real treats for me are the Bolshoi, the Royal, and the Australian Ballet daily class streams (interesting to see the AB under David Halberg). I wonder if Maestro Boris Akimov will still be taking the class we see? I just love watching him teach.

9 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Wow, thank you for this. The schedule looks amazing! More & more companies are joining in. The real treats for me are the Bolshoi, the Royal, and the Australian Ballet daily class streams (interesting to see the AB under David Halberg). I wonder if Maestro Boris Akimov will still be taking the class we see? I just love watching him teach.

agree … really looking forward to the class segments.  Chance to see lots of dancers 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

and from Marianela Nunez IG (via Google Translate)

one of my favorite days is coming #worldballetday
An inspirational day for all of us dance lovers and also a great opportunity for those who have never had the opportunity to experience this unique art "Ballet" and discover its magic.

I will be rehearsing Queen of the Willis (this was the surprise I mentioned a few days ago 🤍) with Dame Monica Mason
A role that I adore and that is full of artistic, technical and physical challenges.
That is why I have decided to reinterpret him (thanks to my director Kevin O'Hare for giving me this opportunity) and also to have the opportunity to rehearse with Monica who with her great knowledge and artistic understanding makes the construction of the character a journey full of discoveries, of those trips that leave unforgettable artistic traces.
Don't miss it 🤍

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

and from Marianela Nunez IG (via Google Translate)

one of my favorite days is coming #worldballetday
An inspirational day for all of us dance lovers and also a great opportunity for those who have never had the opportunity to experience this unique art "Ballet" and discover its magic.

I will be rehearsing Queen of the Willis (this was the surprise I mentioned a few days ago 🤍) with Dame Monica Mason
A role that I adore and that is full of artistic, technical and physical challenges.
That is why I have decided to reinterpret him (thanks to my director Kevin O'Hare for giving me this opportunity) and also to have the opportunity to rehearse with Monica who with her great knowledge and artistic understanding makes the construction of the character a journey full of discoveries, of those trips that leave unforgettable artistic traces.
Don't miss it 🤍

Oh wow! I hope this means she'll be performing it with Osipova in this run.

Edited by Lizbie1

28 minutes ago, Sim said:

Nuñez says she’s going to “reinterpret him”.  I so hope that’s just a typo!  😂

I realise you're only joking, Sim, but it's possibly important to point out that, rather than a typo, it's a mistranslation of the Spanish:

"....Un rol que adoro.......... he decidido volver a interpretarlo" 

If I've understood her correctly, she's saying that she's going to go back to the role rather than that she's going to reinterpret it.  Perhaps a native Spanish speaker could confirm? 

Edited to add that I've just read the rest of the post and she does go on to say that she hopes that Monica will help her deepen her understanding of the role so it's very possible that I've also misunderstood the Spanish!

Edited by Bluebird

35 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I realise you're only joking, Sim, but it's possibly important to point out that, rather than a typo, it's a mistranslation of the Spanish:

"....Un rol que adoro.......... he decidido volver a interpretarlo" 

If I've understood her correctly, she's saying that she's going to go back to the role rather than that she's going to reinterpret it.  Perhaps a native Spanish speaker could confirm? 

Edited to add that I've just read the rest of the post and she does go on to say that she hopes that Monica will help her deepen her understanding of the role so it's very possible that I've also misunderstood the Spanish!

Ah.  Reading the Spanish, she is referring to the role, not the character.  In Spanish the word ‘role’ is masculine.  So in English where we would say “I am going to reinterpret it” when you get a poor and literal translation it becomes “I am going to reinterpret him.”!  

And yes, the Spanish says she has decided to return to the role, not to reinterpret it.  Dang Google translate! 

I hadn’t seen the Spanish version and assumed this quote had just been written in English. 

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Probably a silly question but where can I access the livestream? Is there a dedicated World Ballet Day YouTube channel or is it a matter of going to each company’s YouTube channels on their designated time according to the timetable? 

I would suggest https://worldballetday.com/ is a fair launching point as it seems to include the relevant You Tube links to a whole list of Companies taking part in short bursts, in addition to the longer segments offed up by The  Australian Ballet, Bolshoi, and The Royal Ballet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I would suggest https://worldballetday.com/ is a fair launching point as it seems to include the relevant You Tube links to a whole list of Companies taking part in short bursts, in addition to the longer segments offed up by The  Australian Ballet, Bolshoi, and The Royal Ballet. 

Thanks so much! I will do. Very excited about it all. First time I’m actually on leave from work for WBD. 

• Like 2

As published by The Royal Ballet School.

The Royal Ballet five hour livestream begins at 11am BST and will include:

• Interview with Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare
  • Principal Dancer Fumi Kaneko and First Soloist William Bracewell in rehearsal for Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet
  • Stage and piano rehearsal for Wayne McGregor’s new ballet The Dante Project, featuring short interviews with Principal Dancers Sarah Lamb and Ed Watson
  • Rehearsal for new piece by choreographer Mikaela Polley
  • Principal Dancer Marianela Nuñez rehearsed by Former Director of The Royal Ballet Monica Mason
  • Rehearsal for Soloist Benjamin Ella’s Draft Works piece, featuring Aud Jebsen Young Dancer Daichi Ikarashi, Royal Ballet Soloist Isabella Gasparini and Prix De Lausanne Dancer Marco Masciari
  • Rehearsal for Aud Jebsen Young Dancer Denilson Almeida’s Draft Works piece, with Aud Jebsen Young Dancer Ava May Llewellyn and Artist of The Royal Ballet Joonhyuk Jun
  • Film by The Royal Ballet’s Emerging Choreographer Joseph Toonga featuring Principal Dancer Natalia Osipova
  • Full corps de ballet rehearsal for Peter Wright’s Giselle
  • A compilation featuring some of the best Jump for Joy clips, submitted by #WorldBalletDay viewers.
  • Like 6

The dancers of Bavarian State Ballet, today between 13.00 CET and 16.00 CET at www.staatsballett.de

They rehearse Christophers Wheeldon’s Cinderella:

13 -14.15 CET Class

14.15 -15 CET Cinderella and the prince

Coach: Jason Fowler, dancers Madison Young and Jinhao Zhang, Maria Baranova and Dmitrii Vyskubenko, Margarita Fernandes and Jonah Cook  

15-16 CET Cinderella and the Fates

Coach: Jonathan Howell, dancers Matteo Dilaghi, Alexey Dobikov, Vladislav Dolgikh, Nikita Kirbitov, Sergio Navarro and Robin Strona 

Looking forward to the RB stream, although I'll really miss seeing them in class. Will there be a later streaming of that, if not live? I love the privilege of watching daily class - it's usually a much more private thing, so really special to see it.

• Like 1

Exciting livestream from the Mariinsky today, if not an official “World Ballet Day” Event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/d41d8cd9/ballet-gala-diana-vishneva-viktoria-tereshkina-ekaterina-kondaurova-and-kimin-ki/970442797020435/

A class, a discussion in Russ/Engl with young soloists THEN (12noon eastern US time) a gala concert that will open with a sneak peak at Ratmansky’s recon of THE PHARAOH’s DAUGHTER. 

ps It’s all on the Mariinsky.tv channel. The class, on the historic stage, is happening right now, led by Yana Selina.

https://mariinsky.tv/e

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

Update to the above:

All of the Mariinsky’s WBD segments are/will also be streaming on their YouTube channel. I’ve already found & “lined up” the icons for the Chat and the Gala on my Smart TV!

Let me link here, too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiVcZafQO_I

The above is the direct link to the Gala that begins at 12noon EST (17:00 BST, I think; 19:00 StPetersburg).

The same YouTube channel also has a link to the dancers’ bilingual chat, beginning two hours before the Gala. Ah...and I see that the morning class is there too (archived).

Enjoy! Bring on THE PHARAOH’s DAUGHTER sneak peek!!!

Edited by Jeannette

The Gala performance portion of the Mariinsky’s WBD participation was about two hours long and consisted of:

Bayadere A3/Diverts and G-P Classique - Novikova & Kimin

Scheherazade complete - Tereshkina & Kimin

Romeo & Juliet last act - Kondaurova & Belyakov

Marguerite & Armand complete - Vishneva & Askerov

plus nice long tribute to pedagogue Kovaleva at the end...many hugs and flowers!

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1