Christmas Dance on TV

Just wondering ... Usually by this point some of the dance goodies that will appear on TV during Christmas have been revealed ... I haven't heard of any .... Has anyone else? I did attend the operalia gala ... and I was told at that time that it would be broadcast around Xmas ... but I haven't heard of any of the dance fare ... short of the stuff currently on Sky Arts 2.

You're right, meunier: in the light of the absence of any mention, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any worth speaking of, not on the free-to-air channels, anyway. Still, presumably the Christmas editions of the listings magazines will be out soon, and then we shall know.

Will have to wait for the Christmas edition of the Radio Times [only time of the year I buy it].First thing I do when I get it is scour through each page to see what ballet is on. There`s usually something on BBC2. Just hope it`s not BRB`s Cinderella yet again.!!

• Like 2

The BBC website in the 'press' section, isn't featuring anything ballet related - so if anything does turn up, I reckon it will be a repeat. If it was new, I'm sure they'd at least mention it. So - Nutcracker after the Queen's speech on Beeb2, would be my wager...

I've just checked in the newsagent, and the next Radio Times, running until the 21st, isn't supposed to be in the shops until December 6th, so quite conceivably the Christmas double edition will be even later than that. Has anyone seen any announcements of Christmas programming at all?

I've only got a few days into the RT so far, and can see that there's loads of dance on Sky Arts 2, but very little so far on free-to-air channels: the full version of the Mariinsky Swan Lake on BBC4, I think on Christmas Day, has been the only thing so far.

Just noticed that next Tuesday 18th December BBC1 has an Imagine documentary with Alan Yentob about the creation of Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty, 10.35-11.35pm, sounds very interesting, possibly the only new ballet programme, apart from the Vienna New Year Gala.

I've had a quick trawl through the Christmas Radio Times and spotted a few things (nothing earth shattering)

Saturday 22nd Sky Arts 2. 2pm Swan lake Probably the one recorded for the RB a couple of years ago; Marianella?

7pm Mystery of Coppelia. Doc. about POB Patrice Bart production.

8pm Coppelia itself. Doen't sound too traditional; a bit more Gothicthan normal.

11.10pm. Mikado. fabulous Jonathan Miller 1920s style production with some dancing.

Sunday 23rd Sky Arts 2. 2pm Nutcracker (and repeated). Probably RB version starring Steven and Yoshida filmed 2 or 3 years ago.

Sunday 25th. BBC4. 8pm. Swan Lake. Mariinsky version starring Lopatkina and Korsuntsev (I think)

More4 11.15pm Matthew Bourne's Christmas. Dance film celebrating his work.

Saturday 29th BBC4. 7pm. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Repeat of RB production.

New years Day BBC2 11.15am. New years day concert from Vienna.

BBC4 7pm. Extended coverage of New years Day concert including a performance by

Vienna State Ballet.

For me, posibly the most interesting offerings are on the French tv channel Arte (www.arte.tv) . On New years day at 2.55 pm they are showing the Opening gala of the Bolshoi Theatre. and on 4th Jan at 8.50pm what I think is a new 2012 recording of POB Don Q, starring Agnes Gillot. I'm hoping a friend will be able to record these for me. Joan

• Like 1

Trying to make some fancy additions in different fonts:

I've had a quick trawl through the Christmas Radio Times and spotted a few things (nothing earth shattering)

Saturday 22nd Sky Arts 2. 2pm Swan lake Probably the one recorded for the RB a couple of years ago; Marianella?

7pm Mystery of Coppelia. Doc. about POB Patrice Bart production.

8pm Coppelia itself. Doen't sound too traditional; a bit more Gothicthan normal.

These two repeated in the early hours of the (next) morning

11.10pm. Mikado. fabulous Jonathan Miller 1920s style production with some dancing.

7 am Roland Petit's L'Arlésienne

Sunday 23rd Sky Arts 2. 2pm Nutcracker (and repeated). Probably RB version starring Steven and Yoshida filmed 2 or 3 years ago.

9 am Swan Lake (repeat?)

10.25 pm Nuages (Paris Opera Ballet)

10.40 pm Nutcracker

Monday 24th Sky Arts 3.45 am Snow White

5.20 am L'Arlésienne

6 am onwards repeat of the two Coppelias

11.10 am Snow White

12.45 pm Boléro

Tuesday 25th. BBC4. 8pm. Swan Lake. Mariinsky version starring Lopatkina and Korsuntsev (I think)

More4 11.15pm Matthew Bourne's Christmas. Dance film celebrating his work. This is a repeat from last Christmas, I think?

Sky Arts 8 pm Nutcracker (RB)

11.50 pm Boléro

Wednesday 26th Sky Arts 3 am Nutcracker

7.30 am onwards: the two Coppelias

2.05 pm Nutcracker

BBC2 1.10 pm Darcey Bussell Dances Hollywood

Thursday 27th Sky Arts 8.30 am Nutcracker

5.35 pm Roland Petit's Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (repeated 1.35 am next day)

Friday 28th Sky Arts 10 am Mikado

12.10 pm Roland Petit's Carmen

And that's enough for now. Note that there are also a few brief 5- or 10-minute dance programmes on Sky which I haven't bothered to list, and also that in some cases I'm guessing that Sky programmes are dance works from their titles rather than anything else, so please double-check.

The Nutcracker that Alison has so very kindly referenced above being broadcast on Sky is in fact the SAN FRANCISCO Nutcracker ... Sky did, in fact, broadcast the Royal's Peter Wright production a couple of weeks back. They have broadcast both previously.

The latest source I have for the Christmas Day one implies that it's the Royal Ballet, with Ansanelli and Hristov, which was shown live in cinemas a few years ago.

So, here's the rest I've found:

Saturday 29th - BBC4, 7 pm Royal Ballet in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Sky Arts 2, 7.30 pm NDT: Jiri Kylian's Symphony in D

Sunday 30th - Sky Arts 2, 12.25 am Roland Petit's Carmen

3.15 am Swan Lake

7 am Carmen again

10 am Stomp: Live

midnight: Symphony in D again

Thursday 3rd January - Sky Arts 2, 11 pm A Beautiful Tragedy: "The true story of a Russian girl who devoted herself to ballet"

Friday 4th - Sky Arts 2, 9.40 pm Paris Opera Ballet: Boléro

10 pm Margot: profile of Fonteyn (3 hours) - the Tony Palmer one?

I saw POB Coppelia and was more impressed with it than I thought I was going to be. it helped to see the doc. first then you weren't surprised to see a young (and very personable!!) Dr Coppelius. Jose Martinez as Coppelius stole the show giving a marvellous performance, though Swanhilda and Franz were also excellent. The men generally were given more to do and I enjoyed Patrice Bart's choreography. Though much of the music was Coppelia's Bart also introduced other Delibes music to give the production a rather 'darker' atmesphere than normal.Coppelius' wife had died and he was using an older 'traditional Dr Coppelius type' man as his assistant to utilise Swanhilda's 'life force' to possibly bring his wife back to life again (I think) The last act is missing altogether, though with the introduction of the other music it probably lasts nearly as long. it ends with a wonderful pas de deux between Franz and Swanhilda. During the ballet Swanhilda is rather torn between Franz and Coppelius (don't blame her!!) but it all works out in the end. I feel I need to see it again to take it all in but I do feel it is worth watching again which I didn't think I would when I read about it.

Some of the most fantastic performances I have ever seen were Le Riche in Jeune Homme, when he performed feats that looked physically impossible and was intensely convincing in the melodrama, such were his acting powers. I first saw him do it was when he was very young but he's such a fantastic actor and has such presence that I'm sure he'll be equally stunning with Tamara. Do see him, he's always compelling, whatever he does.

• 6 months later...