I am visiting the ROH for the first time in many years.  We will be making the journey from Cornwall by train and back by sleeper. 

I was wondering what other people's experiences were of getting a cab after the performance - with covid we prefer this option

Also I see the Cloakroom is not open so if I am wearing a coat and have a small bag .... I am not sure what to expect.  Can I just sit on my coat?

Sounds trivial but I like to plan every detail. 

Thank you Rob, I was worried as I read somewhere that they wanted you to have a small bag the size of a briefcase but that is a good idea.  

I don't mind sitting on my coat if it is not frowned on.   I last visited the ROH when I lived in London back in the last century!   I want everything to run smoothly.  Is it cold in the theatre?  I have often been air conditioned to within an inch of my life in theatres as they don't want the audience falling asleep.

Hilary - how much time do you have between end of performance and getting to Paddington?  There are always cabs after a performance, but sometimes you have to walk along a bit and wait around.  If you have an hour or more that's safe, if less - could be tricky.  You might also book a minicab in advance - eg https://www.londonminicabservice.com/ (I just did a websearch and haven't used them as I always drive in).

• Like 1

Surely the cloakroom will be open for the Autumn season?

but I forget whether large bags (like overnight bags) we’re not allowed anyway due to space and potentially security rather than covid measures? 

do people use lockers at train stations in those circumstances, or just book overnight stays anyway? 

Hello Hilaryanne and welcome to the Forum!

About 4 years ago when I had a dreadful journey I had to go straight to ROH with my overnight back.  The cloakroom was fine about storing it.  If you have got time and the cloakroom is open it would be worth putting your coat in too.

I read on the website that the cloakroom is closed.  

The performance finishes at about 22.35 and the train actually leaves at  23.45 though boarding is earlier.  I am the sort of person who likes to arrive early so if I could book a black cab I think I would but so far the websites I have found seem to aim at business bookings.  

1 hour ago, Hilaryanne said:

Is it cold in the theatre?  I have often been air conditioned to within an inch of my life in theatres as they don't want the audience falling asleep.

I don't think it's cold in the theatre unless you're up in the amphitheatre, where I have known there to be draughts on occasion.  Also it depends on how full the place is, of course.  The ROH, being listed, has an air cooling system, not air-conditioning.  Sometimes the vents are under the seats, in which case it's a good idea not to cover them up.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Thank you Alison.  I am now obsessing about booking a meal.  I managed to book a meal for the Magic Flute performance on 4th October earlier this evening but now when I tried to book a meal for a performance in November for The Nutcracker I cannot remember how I did it.  Is it because it is too far ahead?

7 minutes ago, Hilaryanne said:

Thank you Alison.  I am now obsessing about booking a meal.  I managed to book a meal for the Magic Flute performance on 4th October earlier this evening but now when I tried to book a meal for a performance in November for The Nutcracker I cannot remember how I did it.  Is it because it is too far ahead?

In the past the ROH has sent an e-mail when booking for the restaurants open. 

Eat & drink (roh.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp

Just a heads up; as a non-account holder I once booked a black cab which didn’t arrive; I phoned the company 10 minutes after the agreed time to be told “We’re still trying to find a cab in your area; hopefully we’ll find one in the next 20 minutes”.  I said to cancel it and that I’d try to hail one, which fortunately I did.

If you can exit the ROH very promptly indeed after the performance, and start walking up Bow Street towards Longacre, you have a better chance of nabbing a black cab.   I’m disabled so it takes me ages to get out, by which time all the cabs have been hailed.

I’ve never been cold in the ROH, by the way. ☺️

• Like 1

Thank you for this Anna, I have used Dial a Cab.  That is really dreadful as the whole point of booking a cab in advance is that you expect them to make sure they have one reserved.  Do you remember who you used?  I am going to put Uber on my phone though I have never used them and I don't know how quickly they appear.  I wonder now that Uber is a think if black cabs do not have quite as much business.   With a disability they should have made you a priority.  I have allowed 15 minutes for getting out of the theatre.   Thank you for your reply it is really helpful to know what others have experienced.

Anna, that was really helpful, you have alerted me to the fact that Dial a Cab have appalling reviews and are totally unreliable.  There does not seem to be reliable black cab reserving  service but at least your advice has alerted me to the problem.

• Like 1

Oh gosh.  I think I used Computer Cab/Comcab because you can make cash bookings without opening an account.  

As an alternative, is there a bus from the Covent Garden area to Paddington?  If I’m on my crutches I usually shuffle down to Aldwych and get the bus to Liverpool Street.

With Covid we wanted to go by  black cab.   In the olden days jumping on and off buses and going by tube was second nature but we have been so careful during the past year or two that going to the ROH is a massive step and the tube a step to far.   Quite annoying that booking a cab in this day and age seems to be beyond possible.   I have made the sort of itinerary that I used to do when my husband was travelling for work to make sure he arrived at the airport on the right day.   

• Like 1

I think it might be difficult to locate even a booked car/cab in the scrum as everyone leaves the ROH.  If you walk down to the Strand, it might be easier to pick up a black cab - they tend to be coming back from Waterloo or the City.  I have been waiting at a bus stop and seen empty cabs come past in the direction of Trafalgar Square.

We have barely been out to a restaurant since Covid so we are super careful - I might ask the taxi to meet us round the corner - I used Addison Lee which Capybary recommended.   We used to catch the tube all the time without a second thought but it will be a while before we are ready for that again.

1 hour ago, Hilaryanne said:

We have barely been out to a restaurant since Covid so we are super careful - I might ask the taxi to meet us round the corner - I used Addison Lee which Capybary recommended.   We used to catch the tube all the time without a second thought but it will be a while before we are ready for that again.

You can ask for your booking to include the instruction to wait where you want it to. But Floral Street has often been closed to traffic lately.

I had a terrible experience the one and only time I tried to be really organised by pre ordering a London Black cab. I usually take public transport after theatre trips but knew I’d be quite late on this occasion  (December 2019 so pre pandemic) Anyway the ordered cab did not turn up so tried by a different method by ringing from a hotel in St Martins Lane but after waiting half an hour for that one I got lucky and managed to get one by hailing in the street!! I felt slightly guilty in case the ordered one eventually did turn up but it was pretty late by then so just went with the flow!! 
I won’t use an Uber on my own for a variety of reasons but I’ve never heard of Addison Lee before....is it a mini cab organisation? 

16 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I won’t use an Uber on my own for a variety of reasons but I’ve never heard of Addison Lee before....is it a mini cab organisation? 

Addison Lee is a large, London-wide taxi and courier service. You can ask them the price before you book and, with a fixed price, you don’t have to fret every time a traffic light turns red! Their cars can’t use the bus lanes but the drivers seem to know their way around.

• Like 2

I should perhaps point out that it's not uncommon for traffic on the Strand side of Covent Garden to become completely snarled up at theatre chuck-out time, although that's probably due to the number of theatres in that area.  I'd probably walk out of the immediate area - say down to Trafalgar Square - before hailing a cab. Hopefully it will be easier on the northern side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m usually over warm in the ROH.  

How obtuse that the coat check is not available. Both that and the self service ones were open at Sadlers Wells.  That’s going to be a problem for patrons now that it is cold.   I’ve a mind to circumvent the counter and use the hangers myself!!  Or leave it by mistake (ahem) on a hook in a bathroom.  

I realise the coat retrieval process is a nightmare for social distancing … but then we will all have been in the auditorium together for hours  🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you for this Fiona, we are going home by sleeper so I am fussing about what to wear and a bag which will hold some clothes so I don't have to sleep in my dress and have toothbrush etc.  I think I will wear my coat and sit on it in the theatre.  I am both excited and anxious about the logistics train taxi theatre meal opera taxi sleeper.   What could possibly go wrong?

Might just be me but I think that timing is quite tight, I definitely wouldn’t be putting anything into the cloakroom! How about getting some medical grade masks to keep in reserve if you have taxi problems as the tube is generally a lot quicker

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

I realise the coat retrieval process is a nightmare for social distancing … but then we will all have been in the auditorium together for hours  🤷🏼‍♀️

But not necessarily close to the same people ...