Royal Opera House booking period 1 experiences

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Decided to go for 1st performance after the first night. That way I get the pleasure of seeing Bonelli and can see the original cast when it is,streamed. Given the high cost of tickets this year streaming will be very useful.

Presumably you mean the next  available package performance? Since after the first night on the 14th, the same (Watson) cast is listed  for the 15th.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, eventually succeeded in booking for Romeo, Giselle and Nutcracker but it was a very stressful experience. Whenever I login and see it says you've got an hour to book I think great, but once you've selected a ticket it seems it defaults to 30 minutes which when you've got 5 or 6 tickets to buy and your equipment starts malfunctioning isn't very long! To start with I got through to the website within a minute of logging on at 9am which was great. Then I went to select my first ticket and it just kept egg timing away as soon as I selected it before I could even put it in my basket. Tried logging out and logging in again but just the same. Felt my stress levels rising and tried my phone which I prefer not to use as selection is quite fiddly on a small screen. Something came up for £122; certainly not within my price range!! I went to get this biro I was given which has a rubber top to it for mobile phone use and this seemed to work not too bad. At least there was no egg timing and once you'd got the size of your seat dot OK I managed to book what I wanted. However, by that time I'd only 5 minutes left to purchase and had problems with my seat certificate number which meant revisiting the original email (nearly 18 months ago when I cancelled Swan Lake).  Though I did get a nice surprise as I realised I actually had 2 gift certificates which was great. Then PayPal was problematic, then I had a message saying I needed to contact the box office which I ignored and put my card details in. Finally it went through!!!!!!! The ROH confirmation email came quickly too. I do think they need to give you a bit longer, though fortunately once I'd started to pay the system seems to recognise this and gave me extra time which is just as well as I ended up taking well over 30 minutes. I'm now going to lie down in a darkened room!

• Like 5

It always has been 30 minutes once you put the first ticket into the basket.  Quite agree that it's inadequate for doing a whole booking period in one go, especially since we've been down to 4 :(

• Like 1

I’ve never been able to cope with multiple bookings to be honest. 
If I am booking say three tickets in one go all for different performances I do them all separately ...one by one!! 
I don’t know if it makes it any more relaxing overall but can usually get one done without panicking about getting that one completed on time ... although of course time is still ticking away having to go in three times! It just feels as if I have more time. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

BTW, is anyone finding the concept of actually booking for a Royal Opera House season, well, a bit strange now ...?

Well, I did find that I'd almost forgotten what to do when I booked my package, and spent a short while cursing the system until I realised that I hadn't confirmed my selection! But my purchase this morning of an extra performance was totally trouble free.

I had no problems at all this morning - far less stressful than on previous occasions. I managed to buy tickets for all of the performances I wanted, with the exception of Insights and Draft Works.

The Insights are being filmed it says, so probably available for streaming at some point. Were they free in the past? My memory fails me. Not the same as being there of course, but hopefully good enough to get the gist of what's what

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alison said:

BTW, is anyone finding the concept of actually booking for a Royal Opera House season, well, a bit strange now ...?

Yes, it did feel slightly unreal, and I was surprised at how easily I got the tickets I wanted for the main stage and the Linbury, I didn't try for the insights.

4 hours ago, alison said:

Not really. Too busy trying to get the technology to work to savour the WOW moment of actually booking tickets after so long. Though I had already done it for the  summer concerts so wasn't actually a first.

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve never been able to cope with multiple bookings to be honest. 
If I am booking say three tickets in one go all for different performances I do them all separately ...one by one!! 
I don’t know if it makes it any more relaxing overall but can usually get one done without panicking about getting that one completed on time ... although of course time is still ticking away having to go in three times! It just feels as if I have more time. 

Might be a good strategy for next time LinMM. Though this time wouldn't have been so bad if my computer hadn't kept egg timing instead of letting me select tickets. It's never done that before.

Yes, they have filmed the Insight days in the past zxDaveM (tried to edit my post but it won't let me copy your quote here) They are free too though unfortunately they've never filmed the interviews. Pity as I'd love to have seen Hayward and Sambe but can't justify an overnight London stay in addition to the performance overnights.

Edited by jmhopton
add information

I've never booked so many performances in one go, or spent as much on tickets in one go, as I did this morning. I persuaded myself it was justified after so long without performances, and because I still had some of the gift certificate from last season, and because it's my only extravagance. And really, what was I supposed to do, with all those enticing casts and débuts?! I ask you. 😉

• Like 12

I realised later in the evening when I revisited the ROH ticket sales that when I clicked Select and it started egg timing away I needed to click Select again and it then allowed me to select the seat and put it in my basket. I wish I'd thought of that at 9am instead of panicking!

The seat view was also a bit hit and miss, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmhopton said:

The seat view was also a bit hit and miss, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. 

Seat view didn't work at all for me (which meant I couldn't depart from my usual choices in case the view was worse than anticipated).

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I realised later in the evening when I revisited the ROH ticket sales that when I clicked Select and it started egg timing away I needed to click Select again and it then allowed me to select the seat and put it in my basket. I wish I'd thought of that at 9am instead of panicking!

I had the same experience. Weird.

Weirdly, I had to put the browser in incognito mode to access the package booking (and same for viewing the seat map, although like others I can no longer see any seat views) but apart from that I got all the dates I wanted :) 

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

I think they should offer a ‘design your own booking experience’ package where you get a discount based on how much booking trauma you want to tolerate; modest discounts if you settle for being 852nd in the queue even though you joined it an hour in advance, choose a dancer you don’t want to see or a date you can’t go to for a 5% discount, press the website crash button after you’ve booked all your seats and get  10% off whatever you can get second time round….people with a strong heart or lots of hair they are willing to lose may be interested in the Total Fiasco package at a 18% discount

On that basis I earned the 18% dicount I got when booking earlier today, but it should be my bank rather than the ROH who cover it! I had no problems with package booking until I got to the payment when, after I entered my card details, a screen came up saying my bank needed verification so I'd be sent a text with a code. Did a text arrive? No. I hit the re-send button 3 times & was walking all round my house in case there were any mobile signal issues. Eventually I called my bank & spent goodness knows how long on the phone to them. By that time the ROH website had timed out my tickets so the bank said wait a few minutes then try again & that my settings had been changed so verification wouldn't be required. Except when I tried again (fortunately the tickets I had selected were still available) verification was required & again no text arrived. Fortunately that time through I'd noted the alternative PayPal option so I was able to have a 3rd go via PayPal & that went through no problem with no verification required. Which is completely nonsensical because I only have 1 cash card so it's coming out of the same bank account! At least I now know that when single seat booking opens next week I should use PayPal to start with. Of course whether I'll be able to use any of these tickets when it comes to it is another issue entirely....

• Like 2

Are you a Lloyds customer? I had the same verification thing and although the notification of the message didn't appear on my phone when I went to my messages I saw there was one from the bank

I’ve never had a problem booking tickets for the ROH with either my Lloyd’s or Nationwide cards before now so hope this is not going to be a new thing? 

I've frequently had claims that I was going to get some sort of security check from Nationwide, but they hardly ever happen.  Did you actually check that the booking hadn't gone through?

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve never had a problem booking tickets for the ROH with either my Lloyd’s or Nationwide cards before now so hope this is not going to be a new thing? 

Maybe it’s to do with the amount (£243) or maybe because I’d had the second transaction ten minutes after the first one (which didn’t need a code but was for about £100 after all the credit notes taken off)…maybe I have some setting on my bank account that I can adjust the figure that sets it off. To be on the safe side I’ll dig out my PayPal details for Tuesday as I know myself that messages sent by robots can sometimes go awol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

I've frequently had claims that I was going to get some sort of security check from Nationwide, but they hardly ever happen.  Did you actually check that the booking hadn't gone through?

When I was on the phone to Nationwide they told me that it hadn't gone through. I don't have internet banking so can't check myself. I hope they were right otherwise my next bank statement will not be pleasant reading!

I'm now dithering over which October R&J casts to book for when the non-package booking opens next week. I thought Hayward & Corrales were incredibly in May 2019 so part of me wants to see them again but part of me worries in case they don't match last time. Naghdi & Muntagirov together is intriguing. In the last run I thought both were very good but not the best I saw (admittedly Naghdi I saw at the cinema rather than live). Then there's Kaneko & Bracewell... So hard to pick who to see. Funnily the February run is much easier for me despite featuring more casts: Magri/Richardson, because she's top of my list of want-to-see Juliets, and Nunez/Bonelli, because I want to see him as Romeo before it's too late even though I wasn't so keen on her Juliet last time. Meanwhile I continue to hope covid cases fall otherwise all this time & moeny will be for nothing.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

I found that a remarkably straightfordward public booking. I only had to queue for a few seconds & nothing froze or crashed. Horrendously expensive though. I couldn't quite face the squasheness of the stalls circle benches that I usually (pre-covid) went for & all 3 performances I wanted to book had front row side stalls available, which usually I'd only book with the package booking discount, so......! Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

That thought was in the back of my mind too, Dawnstar! That being said, I booked two dates for‘Giselle’ and agree, it was blessedly straightforward. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I found that a remarkably straightfordward public booking. I only had to queue for a few seconds & nothing froze or crashed.

Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

Straight forward for me too - even for the Insights I was aiming at. Which was nice.

Should Covid interefere, I can't imagine they won't fully refund

• Like 1