Royal Opera House booking period 1 experiences

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve never been able to cope with multiple bookings to be honest. 
If I am booking say three tickets in one go all for different performances I do them all separately ...one by one!! 
I don’t know if it makes it any more relaxing overall but can usually get one done without panicking about getting that one completed on time ... although of course time is still ticking away having to go in three times! It just feels as if I have more time. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

BTW, is anyone finding the concept of actually booking for a Royal Opera House season, well, a bit strange now ...?

Well, I did find that I'd almost forgotten what to do when I booked my package, and spent a short while cursing the system until I realised that I hadn't confirmed my selection! But my purchase this morning of an extra performance was totally trouble free.

The Insights are being filmed it says, so probably available for streaming at some point. Were they free in the past? My memory fails me. Not the same as being there of course, but hopefully good enough to get the gist of what's what

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alison said:

BTW, is anyone finding the concept of actually booking for a Royal Opera House season, well, a bit strange now ...?

Yes, it did feel slightly unreal, and I was surprised at how easily I got the tickets I wanted for the main stage and the Linbury, I didn't try for the insights.

4 hours ago, alison said:

Not really. Too busy trying to get the technology to work to savour the WOW moment of actually booking tickets after so long. Though I had already done it for the  summer concerts so wasn't actually a first.

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve never been able to cope with multiple bookings to be honest. 
If I am booking say three tickets in one go all for different performances I do them all separately ...one by one!! 
I don’t know if it makes it any more relaxing overall but can usually get one done without panicking about getting that one completed on time ... although of course time is still ticking away having to go in three times! It just feels as if I have more time. 

Might be a good strategy for next time LinMM. Though this time wouldn't have been so bad if my computer hadn't kept egg timing instead of letting me select tickets. It's never done that before.

Yes, they have filmed the Insight days in the past zxDaveM (tried to edit my post but it won't let me copy your quote here) They are free too though unfortunately they've never filmed the interviews. Pity as I'd love to have seen Hayward and Sambe but can't justify an overnight London stay in addition to the performance overnights.

Edited by jmhopton
add information

I've never booked so many performances in one go, or spent as much on tickets in one go, as I did this morning. I persuaded myself it was justified after so long without performances, and because I still had some of the gift certificate from last season, and because it's my only extravagance. And really, what was I supposed to do, with all those enticing casts and débuts?! I ask you. 😉

• Like 12

I realised later in the evening when I revisited the ROH ticket sales that when I clicked Select and it started egg timing away I needed to click Select again and it then allowed me to select the seat and put it in my basket. I wish I'd thought of that at 9am instead of panicking!

The seat view was also a bit hit and miss, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmhopton said:

The seat view was also a bit hit and miss, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. 

Seat view didn't work at all for me (which meant I couldn't depart from my usual choices in case the view was worse than anticipated).

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I realised later in the evening when I revisited the ROH ticket sales that when I clicked Select and it started egg timing away I needed to click Select again and it then allowed me to select the seat and put it in my basket. I wish I'd thought of that at 9am instead of panicking!

I had the same experience. Weird.

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

I think they should offer a ‘design your own booking experience’ package where you get a discount based on how much booking trauma you want to tolerate; modest discounts if you settle for being 852nd in the queue even though you joined it an hour in advance, choose a dancer you don’t want to see or a date you can’t go to for a 5% discount, press the website crash button after you’ve booked all your seats and get  10% off whatever you can get second time round….people with a strong heart or lots of hair they are willing to lose may be interested in the Total Fiasco package at a 18% discount

On that basis I earned the 18% dicount I got when booking earlier today, but it should be my bank rather than the ROH who cover it! I had no problems with package booking until I got to the payment when, after I entered my card details, a screen came up saying my bank needed verification so I'd be sent a text with a code. Did a text arrive? No. I hit the re-send button 3 times & was walking all round my house in case there were any mobile signal issues. Eventually I called my bank & spent goodness knows how long on the phone to them. By that time the ROH website had timed out my tickets so the bank said wait a few minutes then try again & that my settings had been changed so verification wouldn't be required. Except when I tried again (fortunately the tickets I had selected were still available) verification was required & again no text arrived. Fortunately that time through I'd noted the alternative PayPal option so I was able to have a 3rd go via PayPal & that went through no problem with no verification required. Which is completely nonsensical because I only have 1 cash card so it's coming out of the same bank account! At least I now know that when single seat booking opens next week I should use PayPal to start with. Of course whether I'll be able to use any of these tickets when it comes to it is another issue entirely....

• Like 2

Are you a Lloyds customer? I had the same verification thing and although the notification of the message didn't appear on my phone when I went to my messages I saw there was one from the bank

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve never had a problem booking tickets for the ROH with either my Lloyd’s or Nationwide cards before now so hope this is not going to be a new thing? 

Maybe it’s to do with the amount (£243) or maybe because I’d had the second transaction ten minutes after the first one (which didn’t need a code but was for about £100 after all the credit notes taken off)…maybe I have some setting on my bank account that I can adjust the figure that sets it off. To be on the safe side I’ll dig out my PayPal details for Tuesday as I know myself that messages sent by robots can sometimes go awol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

I've frequently had claims that I was going to get some sort of security check from Nationwide, but they hardly ever happen.  Did you actually check that the booking hadn't gone through?

When I was on the phone to Nationwide they told me that it hadn't gone through. I don't have internet banking so can't check myself. I hope they were right otherwise my next bank statement will not be pleasant reading!

I'm now dithering over which October R&J casts to book for when the non-package booking opens next week. I thought Hayward & Corrales were incredibly in May 2019 so part of me wants to see them again but part of me worries in case they don't match last time. Naghdi & Muntagirov together is intriguing. In the last run I thought both were very good but not the best I saw (admittedly Naghdi I saw at the cinema rather than live). Then there's Kaneko & Bracewell... So hard to pick who to see. Funnily the February run is much easier for me despite featuring more casts: Magri/Richardson, because she's top of my list of want-to-see Juliets, and Nunez/Bonelli, because I want to see him as Romeo before it's too late even though I wasn't so keen on her Juliet last time. Meanwhile I continue to hope covid cases fall otherwise all this time & moeny will be for nothing.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

I found that a remarkably straightfordward public booking. I only had to queue for a few seconds & nothing froze or crashed. Horrendously expensive though. I couldn't quite face the squasheness of the stalls circle benches that I usually (pre-covid) went for & all 3 performances I wanted to book had front row side stalls available, which usually I'd only book with the package booking discount, so......! Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

That thought was in the back of my mind too, Dawnstar! That being said, I booked two dates for‘Giselle’ and agree, it was blessedly straightforward. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I found that a remarkably straightfordward public booking. I only had to queue for a few seconds & nothing froze or crashed.

Although if covid rates remaind high then I may have just wasted hundreds of pounds.

Straight forward for me too - even for the Insights I was aiming at. Which was nice.

Should Covid interefere, I can't imagine they won't fully refund

• Like 1

No confirmation email yet but I seem to have got the tickets I wanted for Giselle and Nutcracker.  The lack of seat view was annoying and the Nutcracker prices are so eye-wateringly expensive that I couldn’t afford to book for R&J.  

I’ll just have to hope that there are still some decent seats for the Feb performances (which imho should be in the Winter/Spring booking period anyway). 

44 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

This is where gift vouchers come in handy .... Agree process easy ... and painless ... Credit where credit is due.  Autumn Draft Works sold out from the get go though ... along with a few other non-Main Stage items ... Obviously the 'holding some back' in their specific regard is now a thing of the past ... Surprised at many (of what I would have thought of as key/popular) performances with a substantive amount left to be sold.  .... Sure they will sell ... Perhaps people are just waiting to see what health situations will be once schools are again back in session ... Where once we were 'in this together' ... clearly we are now on our own.  The knock on tourists is having its obvious say too.  Have a feeling that will take more than a little time to replenish.  Wishing all great good health and much joy. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna C said:

I’ll just have to hope that there are still some decent seats for the Feb performances (which imho should be in the Winter/Spring booking period anyway). 

Whilst I agree with that sentiment, they are obviously trying to refill the coffers. I'm just glad they didn't add Swan Lake into this booking period as well!! lol

• Like 4

I don't know, Rob, I was wondering that too.  I've spent far more than I normally would - but then have also booked far more tickets than normal as well, so it's not surprising.  What was surprising was the number of standing places still available.

I've basically just booked loads of dates at random, with no consideration of how they'll fit together, but I couldn't get my head round where all the dates were in relation to each other.  Should perhaps have used a spreadsheet or something.  And I've booked "only" 9 casts for R&J, and that left several out!

• Like 1

Annoyed to notice, though, that adding the "Ballet and Dance" filter took out the Ashton insight :(

Also noticed that the Balcony "wheelchair space replacement" seats had already been released, which is new, I think.