BRB Nutcracker change

I seem to be the first person to raise this issue but I am very disappointed by a significant change to the performances at the Birmingham Hippodrome for this year.

Pre Covid I bought 2 front stalls seats for Don Q for June last year.  When lockdown cut in refunds were offered, although I understand it was quite onerous to actually achieve this.  We were sent the usual plea to leave the money with the Hippodrome as a gesture of support until plans were clearer.

About a couple of months ago I exchanged them for 2 tickets for Nutcracker this coming November.  I wanted them for 2 family members, 1 of whom has never been to live ballet.  I did this in the belief that they would have the experience of the full, glorious, production.

Yesterday I received an e-mail saying that what us being presented this year is actually the cut down Royal Albert Hall version, complete with virtual Simon Callow.  To this extent the first 4 rows of the front stalls are being reinstated.

To this effect the only options are 1) move further forward or 2) lump it.

The sweetener is that the production is being refurbished for the 2022 season.  No indication of any refunds being available.

I very much hope my family members will enjoy what us being presented but I have to say that I feel rather cheated by it all.

I see Fiona Allen is leaving the Hippodrome for Opera Australia.   I hope this isn't due to embarrassment!

Edited by Two Pigeons

I'm also disappointed with this change. I had  tickets for this in 2019 which, of course, was cancelled. I elected to hold them over to last year and then again to this year. Having moved away from Birmingham three years ago I had decided not to see Nutcracker again, having seen it more times than I can count since it was first produced, but when my son, who now lives in London, said he would like to see it again we agreed to meet halfway between where we both live. He didn't want to see it at the RAH, partly cost and partly because it wouldn't be the original production. Now he's stuck with what he didn't want to see. It sounds from the email that we won't be getting the stunning transformation scene when the fireplace turns round but "projections " instead. I feel short changed!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I'm also disappointed with this change. I had  tickets for this in 2019 which, of course, was cancelled.

When was it cancelled in 2019? I definitely saw it on 5th December 2019 so was it later in the run that was cancelled & if so then why? It can't have been due to covid as that didn't hit the news until January 2020.

With the greatest respect it really is not the issue which years were involved.  My key point is that I have paid for one product which has subsequently been replaced with another.  Pulcinella is in the same situation.

As I turns out my family members are content to go with the flow but I do feel that this is a case where the opportunity for a refund should be at least extended to customers.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people who have been affected by this change.

Although I haven't cancelled it's only due to ballet-watching starvation!  

Given that the Big Give happens in December I cannot understand why it has taken until August to notify patrons of the change.  Surely BRB must have had an estimated timescale for the refurbishment?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

With the greatest respect it really is not the issue which years were involved. 

I'm just very confused to read that a run of production was cancelled when I saw a performance in that run. I went & double-checked my theatregoing list to make sure I did see it in December 2019 as it made me doubt my own recall.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

When was it cancelled in 2019? I definitely saw it on 5th December 2019 so was it later in the run that was cancelled & if so then why? It can't have been due to covid as that didn't hit the news until January 2020.

Sorry, I got my timeline muddled, blame getting older and the pandemic going on for so long it almost seems like longer. What I meant was just having carried my tickets over from last year.

• Like 2

I have today received a glossy brochure from the Hippodrome announcing its reopening and listing forthcoming productions with the appropriate dates.  The Nutcracker is listed but there is absolutely no indication that it isn't the usual version.

If I can find e-mail contact details for Carlos Acosta or Fiona Allen I will notify them of my feelings.

• Like 1