News: Northern Ballet announces promotions, a guest artist & 2 new dancers

From the Company's website:

With a new season just around the corner we are pleased to announce the following dancer promotions:

We hope you will join us in congratulating these artists on their much deserved promotions.

This season we also welcome two new dancers to the company, Kirica Takahashi and Katharine Lee.

Following recent auditions, we'll be announcing more new joiners soon.

Isabella Gasparini will also return to Northern Ballet as a Guest Artist for David Nixon OBE's Dangerous Liaisons at Leeds Playhouse. Isabella danced with us from 2007 - 2013 before joining The Royal Ballet in 2014.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

How wonderful that lovely Isabella Gasparini will be guesting!

And, of course, NB fans discovered her first!!  A lovely return.  When Isabella was with NB she danced the role of Cecile but I wondered if she would dance Tourvel this time now that Ayami has left.  Whatever, it will be good to see her back with NB for however short a stay.

• Like 1

Her blog mentions that she will be dancing Madame de Tourvel 🙂 I'm keen to travel up and see, if it's possible to find out casting in advance. (I'll probably go up for a performance or two anyway, but would be nice to be able to see one featuring Gasparini) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Her blog mentions that she will be dancing Madame de Tourvel 🙂 I'm keen to travel up and see, if it's possible to find out casting in advance. (I'll probably go up for a performance or two anyway, but would be nice to be able to see one featuring Gasparini) 

Sadly NB rarely announce casting in advance...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

The Ibis Hotel next to the Northern Ballet home is a cheap option to stay!! 

It's not quite adjacent!!  It is a 5-10 minute walk, the major stumbling block being the giant traffic interchange you have to negotiate.

There is also the Travelodge in Vicar Lane and I recently stayed in a Premier Inn just off the motorway which was about a 5 minute taxi ride from town.  That was particularly handy for me driving over and not having to negotiate the nightmare one-way system in the city centre.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

That was particularly handy for me driving over and not having to negotiate the nightmare one-way system in the city centre.

You've brought back horrible memories of going round in circles last time I was there - I think even my SatNav was stumped.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

You've brought back horrible memories of going round in circles last time I was there - I think even my SatNav was stumped.

Been there, done that!  Even the taxi drivers were complaining about the changes to the system currently being implemented!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It's not quite adjacent!!  It is a 5-10 minute walk, the major stumbling block being the giant traffic interchange you have to negotiate.

There is also the Travelodge in Vicar Lane and I recently stayed in a Premier Inn just off the motorway which was about a 5 minute taxi ride from town.  That was particularly handy for me driving over and not having to negotiate the nightmare one-way system in the city centre.

Thanks for the advice.

Having gone past Elland Road on the train yesterday, I was craning my neck to see whether I could spot NB at all.  Could spot Opera North (although perhaps that's just a warehouse?) but not NB.

2 hours ago, alison said:

Thanks for the advice.

Having gone past Elland Road on the train yesterday, I was craning my neck to see whether I could spot NB at all.  Could spot Opera North (although perhaps that's just a warehouse?) but not NB.

You can see NB from the train as you are approaching Leeds Station on the Transpennine route but blink and you'll miss it due to the other buildings growing up around it.

• Like 2

On 13/08/2021 at 17:39, Jan McNulty said:

Sadly NB rarely announce casting in advance...

and when they do  it's usually <1 week  from what i can recall ... 

also i do think they have had their fingers burnt in the past ...  

On 14/08/2021 at 20:21, Jan McNulty said:

also Premier inn near the station ( quite new)Premier inn whitehall rd   and the  Travelodge nearest the Station travelodge Leeds Central  ( which   IMO is preferable  to  vicar lane as no rooms at  vicar lane have a bath  ...  but that's a #TBRfamily thing  )

also the Jury's Inn https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/leeds can actually be same price or even marginally  cheaper (esp if you sign up to their rewards scheme) than the central Travelodges and Premier inns ...  (as for what it's like I know other #TBRfamily members  rate it)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...