Arch height and ankle flexibility

rj777

Hi everyone 

I’m a bit of a ballet noob. I’ve done a lot of research online but can’t seem to figure out what my arch is low or medium, ankle flexibility and foot strength. Some people can tell tell by photos so id appreciate the help 

Thank you 0D71CB04-04E3-47C4-A46B-162CEFF5153A.thumb.jpeg.dc916504e5237b2a53ebdb0d573de7b3.jpeg😊 

I suppose my response is: it is what it is.Not much point in trying to definitively name your foot & ankle flexibility.

All ballet learners have to work on ankle flexibility - this is where the arch & point come from. From your photo, you look like you need to think about lengthening out your toes, rather than crunching them to make it look like a pointed foot - you're curling your toes under rather than stretching them out.

And as in all things ballet, a static pose is one thing, but the real facility is what you can use when in motion. It's mobility which is important.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 4

It’s something that develops over time, like turnout, with work. You’re constrained by physical limitations but you won’t really know what those are until you’ve put in the work to strengthen the muscles and teach the feet ankles to move properly.

For arch height the general non ballet advice is to look at your footprints when your feet are wet and see how much of the ‘middle section’ of foot you can see. I have hypermobile ankles, I’d say yours are ‘normal’! Flexible ankles can be a bit of a curse if you’re not doing hours and hours of ballet as they are more unstable and make the actual dancing a bit more difficult. 

• Like 2

Best thing is to ask your teachers, who see you in action in class. Ask for their expert advice on what you can do to develop mobility flexibility, and strength in your feet & ankles (in my experience, the ankles are almost more important than the feet). 

It doesn't really matter whether you can define your arch as "low" or "medium" - this is irrelevant to how you can actually use your feet.

• Like 3

On 22/07/2021 at 08:21, Kate_N said:

rather than crunching them to make it look like a pointed foot - you're curling your toes under rather than stretching them out.

I've often thought that 'pointing' toes is a bit of a misnomer...when you're actually looking to stretch/lengthen them.

• Like 4