Jump to content

Sizes of PNB, Houston, Kirov Summer Intensives?


Molls.conway
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been researching different summer intensives and my dream ones for this year include Houston, PNB, Kirov, and San Francisco

I am wondering if anyone who has been there before , or knows someone who has , knows how many people on average attend these intensives. 
 

Are they large? Or are they medium sized ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Molls.conway said:

I’ve been researching different summer intensives and my dream ones for this year include Houston, PNB, Kirov, and San Francisco

I am wondering if anyone who has been there before , or knows someone who has , knows how many people on average attend these intensives. 
 

Are they large? Or are they medium sized ?

Hi!  Kirov posts a lot of videos on their Instagram stories as their summer intensive progresses so you can get a good gauge of how many students are in each group.  It looks maybe medium in terms of class size but it also looks like the students get a lot of focused feedback and instruction.  They also offer scholarships to both their summer intensive and year-round programmes. My DD was offered a scholarship to their summer intensive and an offer for their year-round programme but due to travel restrictions we did not want to risk going this summer (and she's only 11 so can't imagine her being in the US boarding, alone.  To be fair, I can't cope with the idea of her boarding full time within the UK either).  Houston is quite long days, I've heard, and classes are challenging in a good way.  PNB and SF are probably medium sized but both very high standard too - all of them are.  Apart from being better as they are in-person, they will never have as many students in a group as some of the online ones my DD has attended in the past (and never again) which bordered on being a "follow-along" class with its lack of feedback and 100+ students in a group.
 

An interesting short article I chanced upon, although from a few years ago is this: 

 

https://aballeteducation.com/2017/01/27/15-summer-programs-that-pay-off/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dd did few years back ABT, Joffrey, San Francisco and Ellison and they are large size I would say approx 25 kids in class. On some classes they have been split into various groups and studios.

My DD found USA intensives more challenging (in good way) and she prefers them to UK ones. Ellison was in her eyes the best for her style of training and very challenging (also long days but she has learned so much!)

 

I would not worry about training as it is good, but the accommodation is hard to organise as the accommodation offered by schools is very limited and if on nearby campus, incredibly expensive.  

My DD was flying on her own but we have arranged homestay which worked out the best. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at The Harid Conservatory in Boca Raton, Florida. My Dd attended their summer intensive and had a fantastic time. We hadn’t heard of it til she won a scholarship to go from YAGP. She flew on her own from the U.K. to Fort Lauderdale and they collected her from the airport. Accommodation is onsite and houseparented. She had a fantastic time. Tough Vaganova  classes mixed with some fun trips and activities. She made some wonderful friends and was offered a full time place at the end. She chose to remain in the U.K. due to academics etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Have a look at The Harid Conservatory in Boca Raton, Florida. My Dd attended their summer intensive and had a fantastic time. We hadn’t heard of it til she won a scholarship to go from YAGP. She flew on her own from the U.K. to Fort Lauderdale and they collected her from the airport. Accommodation is onsite and houseparented. She had a fantastic time. Tough Vaganova  classes mixed with some fun trips and activities. She made some wonderful friends and was offered a full time place at the end. She chose to remain in the U.K. due to academics etc. 


I’ve never even heard of this school but it looks really interesting! Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My DD attended SAB, PNB and the Rock School of Dance. She loved PNB, the classes were wonderful and included choreography classes , There were about 20 students per class. The Company rehearses in the same building so the students can see the rehearsals through the day. She had about  4 classes a day which kept her really busy. Seattle is a very safe city so she went on her own at 13. SAB is extremely safe she attended that intensive 3 summers. It is only 2-3 classes a day but very intensive. The location, New York, is great and the students are very well taken care of. The Rock School of Dance in Philadelphia was wonderful , she attended that intesnive at age 9 and 10. The Directors are amazing , and the classes although very large were excellent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5678balletmom said:

My DD attended SAB, PNB and the Rock School of Dance. She loved PNB, the classes were wonderful and included choreography classes , There were about 20 students per class. The Company rehearses in the same building so the students can see the rehearsals through the day. She had about  4 classes a day which kept her really busy. Seattle is a very safe city so she went on her own at 13. SAB is extremely safe she attended that intensive 3 summers. It is only 2-3 classes a day but very intensive. The location, New York, is great and the students are very well taken care of. The Rock School of Dance in Philadelphia was wonderful , she attended that intesnive at age 9 and 10. The Directors are amazing , and the classes although very large were excellent. 

May I know how your DD applied for the places? My DD has always been wary of applying for SIs in the UK as they always seem to be based solely on photographs and with the rise of children as young as 9/10/11 having photos taken professionally, it just took the shine off applying for her, especially since I wasn’t willing to fork out to have professional photos done. However, she loved auditioning online via zoom for overseas ones over the last few months and to her delight received offers from European and American SIs. Do places like SAB, PNB and Rock just ask for photos or is there a chance to audition online or submit videos? 

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She applied in person, SAB, PNB, most schools do a tour in the main cities in the US. The students show a birth certificate /passport/ and they take a class with a few of the faculty that travels. Usually 2 , one gives the class and one goes around with a notebook writing notes. SAB takes a picture of each student and they also record the class audition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 5678balletmom said:

She applied in person, SAB, PNB, most schools do a tour in the main cities in the US. The students show a birth certificate /passport/ and they take a class with a few of the faculty that travels. Usually 2 , one gives the class and one goes around with a notebook writing notes. SAB takes a picture of each student and they also record the class audition.

Sound amazing. Much prefer that way than just submission of photos. Especially these days when they can audition via Zoom in real time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is highly unlikely that professional photographs would be suitable for application to a summer school anyway.  There are very specific requirements and the people in charge know what they are looking for.  My daughter's were always taken in our kitchen.  

 

We never applied for summer schools where a video had to be sent as there was no space to dance in our home and she didn't have access to a studio outside of class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter is in San Francisco now and her classes have about 15-17 students, which is smaller than last year when it was virtual. She's staying in the new dorm facility practically across the street from the ballet school. She's loving it so far, at 2 weeks out of 5. If you have any specific questions about that one, let me know and I'll ask her next time she calls! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...