Dance Fitness and Performance Tests

tutoo2much

It was mentioned on another threads that it was possible for dance students to have fitness and performance tests. I would like to know a bit more about this to see if it might be something useful for my DD.

-What sorts of things do the tests measure? Are they designed for dancers? Are they objective so they could be re-measured to monitor improvement?

-Is a purely physical tests or do the performance test look at more artistic qualities? If the latter is even possible?

In what form is the feedback and does it include any advice/exercises to improve any areas of difficulty?

Finally whereabouts are they held, how long does it take and how much does it cost?

(I think I have cover everything out of who how why when where!)

Finally I would be interested to know which, if any of these tests are performed routinely in vocational schools (for some reason I remember someone telling me they were in Hammond) and whether or not anyone has a DD or DS who have had them.

222much

Hi 222much - There are a range of tests that can be done. With an individual screening we can do measurements of performance ability so things like jump height, flexibility, core muscle endurance, foot & ankle endurance, and balance/stability. Furthermore, we can also look at different measures of turnout, can compare strength between right and left legs, and look at specific muscle groups. If wanted, we can also do a skinfold/body fat percentage measure and a ballet specific aerobic fitness test.

Most of the tests (with the exception of strength between right and left sides/muscle groups) give numerical measurements which can be tracked over time, rather than compared against 'normal' values as at the moment there really isn't a wealth of data to create such values, especially in children. But the more that we do these tests, the more data we have and over time we will be able to do a comparison against an average.

The tests have been used on dancers, or gymnasts, before and are specifically designed for purpose. The feedback will include all the data collected, as well as advice on how to improve certain areas. Any areas of concern eg imbalances will be fully explained and also the consequences of having such weakness/imbalance.

My team is based in the Midlands but could travel. The space needed, time taken and cost will vary depending on whether you opt for the aerobic fitness test and whether you have an individual screening or take part in a group session.

I'm sure I've forgotten something so please ask if you have any more questions.

Emily Twitchett (PhD in ballet specific fitness)

• Like 2

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. It sounds really useful would be great to get some objective measures with which to measure progress. I know it doesn't mean you are a better dance compared to X Y or Z. Also to get information which could prevent injuries. Do you run regular clinics/ group sessions which you could book into or do you need to make individual arrangements?

You can either make individual arrangements, or I can start to book an open session for January. We are at MAC on January 6th so we offer a session from 4.00-6.00pm. I think an appropriate fee for this service would be £45. For that dancers will get measurements of flexibility, jump height, balance, foot and ankle endurance, core strength endurance, a turnout assessment, a brief postural assessment (spinal, knee alignment and ankle alignment) and advice on areas that may be injury risks.

To book a place please PM me or email director@midas-dance.org.uk

• Like 2

[Finally I would be interested to know which, if any of these tests are performed routinely in vocational schools (for some reason I remember someone telling me they were in Hammond) and whether or not anyone has a DD or DS who have had them.]

222much

They do a similar test on the pupils at The Hammond every year .Parents receive a very detailed report ..........let me know if you want more information and I will dig one out .

• Like 1