Advice please about Budapest Dance Theatre & Elephant in the Black Box training programmes

Jan McNulty

I'm asking this for a friend who isn't a forum member:

Does anyone have any personal experience of either Budapest Dance Theatre’s elite training program or Elephant in the Black Box junior company? I’d be interested to hear either personal experience or whether people have chosen or discounted either and the reasoning.

Here's the website for Budapest:  https://danceandeducation.com/listings/hungary-budapest-join-budapest-dance-theatre-s-international-elite-training-programme/

And for EBB:  https://www.ebbcompany.com

Hello Jan,

I cannot talk about Budapest, but I have some knowledge of Jean Philippe Dury's Elephant in the Black Box. One of my DD'S old class mates had completed her level 3 diploma in Contemporary Dance in Portugal last year and has now spent a highly successful year with the new Junior company in Pau, France. Her talent was quickly spotted and appreciated.

Jean Philippe Dury is a delightful mentor,who though classically trained in Paris,values the potential in a dancer more than a  classic physical type, curriculum vitae or specific college course/ballet background, so he will look for different things at audition  than other AD's and offer opportunitiy or scholarships to some very surprised students from non-conventional places. Indeed my DD won a scholarship with a ballet repertoire competition piece for the summer school but was unable to attend, but another young man we know was also offered for a contemporary piece in a world dance competition where he was adjudicating, and the young man had moved sideways from Ballroom into Contemporary not from ballet. JP will often allow shortened tasters to interested parties . He is well respected by a wide range of industry professionals and the recent expansion from  the main and original base Madrid to the setting up of the second unit in France, clearly shows he and his colleagues have a winning and popular formula. Did you note that the new RB choreographer has also worked with him? Dolly Henry has taught jazz for several seasons there too. So dance training is broad and there are frequent guest choreographers. If someone is interested, they should log into the accessible classes online through Instagram for a true feel.  I know that I would be very happy for my ballet/ neo-classical loving DD to spend some time there at some stage, whether junior or senior company.  It is one of the pre-professional course I would definitely pay for if that was required, because I know that the experience would represent value for money and give a lot of happy, productive learning. Furthermore, both Madrid and Pau, though different, are super places to live.   

4 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

Hello Jan,

I cannot talk about Budapest, but I have some knowledge of Jean Philippe Dury's Elephant in the Black Box.

Thank you so much for your response, which I will pass on with grateful thanks.

• Like 1