Changes to RBS audition process 2021-22

MissEmily

11 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

For the students that make it to the end of upper school, it pretty much guarantees them an illustrious career. 

I don’t think this is true. While I’m sure it’s easier for RBS graduates to find jobs, the chances of any of them obtaining an “illustrious” career - depending on what is meant by that -will still be tiny.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 08:47, Balletmummy18 said:

This year there are 7 girls from year 11 WL going into upper school in September-4 from the original Year 7.This was from a year group of 16. This is a big increase of WLodgers Into upper school from recent years.There is a good chance of getting into upper school if you have not completed WL. 

Would be interested to know how many boys from year 11 are going into upper school and how many of those started in year 7.??

I am interested to see that it appears far more WL trained students are gaining places in RBS US this year - bravo!!

My only (slightly cynical?) thought is, will this just be a one off (maybe 2 year) blip due to pandemic having meant fewer international competitions/masterclasses/intensivecourses attended by the ‘powers that be’ & fewer overseas students risking travel to auditions etc & indeed fewer overseas patents willing to risk sending youngsters abroad in these times when there is still a danger of schooling moving online at the drop of a hat...I know I’d hate a youngster of mine to be overseas in these uncertain times....

Of course, I absolutely salute those gaining places at RBS wether via WL or any other route from home or abroad as am sure they are all extremely talented, dedicated & deserve their places. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peanut68 said:

I am interested to see that it appears far more WL trained students are gaining places in RBS US this year - bravo!!

My only (slightly cynical?) thought is, will this just be a one off (maybe 2 year) blip due to pandemic having meant fewer international competitions/masterclasses/intensivecourses attended by the ‘powers that be’ & fewer overseas students risking travel to auditions etc & indeed fewer overseas patents willing to risk sending youngsters abroad in these times when there is still a danger of schooling moving online at the drop of a hat...I know I’d hate a youngster of mine to be overseas in these uncertain times....

Of course, I absolutely salute those gaining places at RBS wether via WL or any other route from home or abroad as am sure they are all extremely talented, dedicated & deserve their places. 

I think you may see this replicated around the US/EU as well. And not just in schools. Ds’s company have given a lot of contracts to its feeder school this year 🎉 

It’s only in the U.K. that companies haven’t increased their employment from U.K. schools 😏 

On 16/07/2021 at 09:35, Peanut68 said:

So am I reading this correctly? That up to 6 precious RBS upper school places (1 year?or 2? Or 3) offered from one competition alone????

this is NOT fair as no way is this an audition opportunity available to all (even fewer than usual in these covid travel restricted times too I’d imagine) 

I’d be interested to know how this sits with the huge subsidies/bequests/tax deductible corporate charitable gifts/gift aided donations etc where much of this giving is with the Sim of supporting BRITISH ballet training....surely Witt the hope/expectations of nurturing home grown talent?? Thoughts peeps....

From past experience and witnessed directly when daughter at RBS US - the Yagp pay for one year for the students.  Then they used to be allocated to a uk sponsor who attended sponsor showcases and performances.  They used to be noted in the programme at these events next to the sponsored students. The more prestigious the sponsor the more prestigious the student. It was always unclear how students were allocated to the most influential sponsors. Usually a board member or on the most significant internal committees. 

They are very present in the school and view the students more often than I did as a parent.  This was advertised to potential sponsors as part of the package. They attend the graduation with the students. Also as students progressed into the coy the sponsor follows the student and again attend events and sponsorship and lobbying continues. After numerous complaints by the uk parents and fee paying parents - systems changed to be a sponsorship for the year group.   Also awards and scholarships are allocated directly by the AD  to students requiring funding - and at the AD discretion.  It is a close relationship with  the funding source and the students success. Take a look at the annual report it lists all the funding methods.  Yagp officials are often visitors into the school and treated with great courtesy as you would imagine. The RBS board attempted to make it more translucent but in reality minor changes !!!!!

• Like 2

I can’t be the only person to read the above who feels uncomfortable & a big sick at the thought of all that???

really bit appropriate in this day & age....who is auditing all these processes? And I can’t hekp but wonder if again this is why so many overseas students:- less hooos to jump through???

• Like 3