Olesya Novikova promoted to Principal at the Mariinsky & news of other promotions

This is WONDERFUL! I first saw Olesya dancing in Cardiff many, many years ago , then in a mixed bill at Sadlers Wells and, lastly, as Giselle at the Coliseum. 
She is simply fantastic and, at last, her rank reflects her stardom.

• alison changed the title to Olesya Novikova promoted to Principal at the Mariinsky
9 hours ago, capybara said:

I've now realised that it was 16 years ago that I saw Novikova as Kitri in Don Quixote in Cardiff and, of course, she also starred in the Mariinsky DVD of that ballet.

Indeed, those the years when Somova was massively promoted. Many of us wondered why exquisite soloists like Obraztsova, Kondaurova & Novikova were unjustifiably held back. Sad years...but now we can declare that all named became principals eventually, even if Obraztsova had to leave for Moscow to achieve it.

• Like 5

Yes I was very pleased to see May Nagisha also promoted - I just hope they promote her to Principal quicker than the others who all had to wait so long (unlike Somova who's promotion I never did understand!)

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Olesya Novikova promoted to Principal at the Mariinsky & news of other promotions
  • 1 year later...