Royal Ballet School Junior Associates + Online Associates 2021-2022

Ballet-Tutu

19 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

We attended. I’ll try summarise

Prelims will be held in all JA centres this year. 

Results from Prelims will be out 2 weeks after the audition for year 7 girls this will be either an invite to semi finals or a no. For year 7 boys and all other year groups

for girls (excluding upper school) will either be invited straight to finals or not. 

The reason they’ve added semi finals in is because they liked the smaller number that they had at finals last year. 

Semi finals will be held in either London, Bath or Manchester in Feb half term and Finals in March. 

Finals will be a more intensive 2 day process. 

MA results won’t be out until Easter and they did say that as the process has changed if you’ve ticked full time and don’t get invited to semi finals then perhaps warm yourselves up to the fact that a no is more likely for MAs.

The emphasis was to wear what they are comfortable in for the audition so they can dance their best but no fancy leotards. They need to fit well and not be distracting. Same with ballet shoes.

I think that’s about it. If I think of anything else I’ll let you know. 

My DD auditioned 2 years ago and I have to say I .glad she doesn't have to go through all this!! I'm not sure how they can make the finals any more intensive either as it was already 2 days and she was truly knackered by the end!!!

Good luck!!!

42 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

@SJBalletTHANK YOU so, so much! That is fantastic and really helpful to know what the hurdles are this year. I am so grateful to you for sharing this and very much hope I can repay the favour at some point in the future!

You’re very welcome. It was definitely useful.

There was the usual info re the number of places and that they consider day pupils (this I didn’t know but is irrelevant any way as we are in Yorkshire).

If there was anything specific just ask and I can let you know if it was covered but the main bits I took from it are above. 

Good luck to your pupil. 

32 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

My DD auditioned 2 years ago and I have to say I .glad she doesn't have to go through all this!! I'm not sure how they can make the finals any more intensive either as it was already 2 days and she was truly knackered by the end!!!

Good luck!!!

I think last year was less intensive so maybe going back to normal but with the smaller amount of finalists like they had last year. 

It does seem harder now though as those that might have got to finals in previous years might only get to semis this year and not even get the chance to see WL but it is what it is.