Royal Ballet School Junior Associates + Online Associates 2021-2022

Ballet-Tutu

5 minutes ago, Ballet-Tutu said:

Does anyone know anymore about the new Royal Ballet online associate scheme?

And what are the chances of being offered a place on the shortlist?

Hello Ballet-Tutu and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your query to the more appropriate Doing Dance Forum.

17 hours ago, Ballet-Tutu said:

Does anyone know anymore about the new Royal Ballet online associate scheme?

And what are the chances of being offered a place on the shortlist?

My daughter got offered this this year and the short wait list.  We also got the same last year but it was called Junior Engagement Programme.   I registered our interested when I accepted the SWL place but not heard anything back yet.  Last year it was zoom classes every other Saturday taught by a JA teacher, it was very good.  I think the chances of SWL places are fairly slim but it does happen :)

We confirmed our place on the waitlist and registered our interest for the online classes and had a reply saying that they’d be in touch if a place became available and with more info about the zoom sessions. This was for year 6 London x

Not yet. I think places (for in person and waiting list) had to be confirmed by today so I guess they’re working out who they’ve got, whether they can offer out any waiting list places and how many online classes they’ll be running 😊

2 hours ago, BusyDancemum said:

Has anyone received any information on the online junior associates yet?

I have emailed today asking about the online associates as originally they did say we would hear something last week but it may be possible they were waiting until after the deadline before they send out information xx

1 hour ago, MamaFrosty said:

We’ve had the email confirming dates and the link to sign up. Unfortunately the classes will be in the mornings which will clash with her Ballet Boost classes so we’ll have to decline 😔

That’s a shame! Does it actually say mornings on email, I can’t spot it 

No I emailed to ask because I wondered if we could request to be in a later group. But they’re all going to be in the mornings. It’s a shame but she’s better off having longer, regular, in person classes than giving that up for 12 on Zoom ☺️

Just now, MamaFrosty said:

No I emailed to ask because I wondered if we could request to be in a later group. But they’re all going to be in the mornings. It’s a shame but she’s better off having longer, regular, in person classes than giving that up for 12 on Zoom ☺️

Yes definitely.  We did it last year and my dd is not that interested when it’s on zoom but we’ll probably still sign up.  It’s a great programme just depends on the child I suppose.

Did you get the email yesterday?  I’ve not heard anything yet.  Is it morning? How long for?  Thanks

14 hours ago, MamaFrosty said:

We’ve had the email confirming dates and the link to sign up. Unfortunately the classes will be in the mornings which will clash with her Ballet Boost classes so we’ll have to decline 😔

I got the email at 4:30pm yesterday. It had the dates listed but didn’t specify how long or the times. I’d assume they’d be a similar length to last years’ classes though which I think were something like an hour/90mins. I emailed to ask if it was possible to be put in an afternoon session and they replied (very quickly, I was impressed!) saying that they’d be morning sessions only x 

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone on SWL I emailed RBS yesterday to find out if there had been any movement on the waiting list and they said all JA centres are full as everyone has accepted their places, the only way a place would be come available is if someone withdraws.  Also they are not upping their intake with the easing of COVID restrictions :( .  

• 1 month later...

In a bit of a quandary. My DD is starting the Junior Online Associates in October - she's in year 6. We're not sure whether to go for mid associates now because at the moment she doesn't think she has the flexibility required. Is it a very big jump to mid-associates? I realise that it must be even harder of course to get into MAs. She's auditioned every year to get onto JAs and thrilled to have finally got onto JOAs.

53 minutes ago, Footloose48 said:

In a bit of a quandary. My DD is starting the Junior Online Associates in October - she's in year 6. We're not sure whether to go for mid associates now because at the moment she doesn't think she has the flexibility required. Is it a very big jump to mid-associates? I realise that it must be even harder of course to get into MAs. She's auditioned every year to get onto JAs and thrilled to have finally got onto JOAs.

If she really wants to, I’d say go for it. You just never know. My DD was never a JA, not really flexible, never really applied for the SIs apart from one time, doesn’t have the much-desired “ballet feet” nor sways but by some miracle was somehow offered an MA place. I think the important thing is to be realistic about the chances and to just be relaxed about it. I still don’t know how she got an MA place but I do think the fact that she was chilled about it all and never really dreamed or particularly worked towards getting anything RBS helped in being calm and realistic. Having never been a JA, I can’t say whether it was a big jump but she didn’t mention anything about the class being particularly difficult. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 21/09/2021 at 23:06, Neverdancedjustamum said:

If she really wants to, I’d say go for it. You just never know. My DD was never a JA, not really flexible, never really applied for the SIs apart from one time, doesn’t have the much-desired “ballet feet” nor sways but by some miracle was somehow offered an MA place. I think the important thing is to be realistic about the chances and to just be relaxed about it. I still don’t know how she got an MA place but I do think the fact that she was chilled about it all and never really dreamed or particularly worked towards getting anything RBS helped in being calm and realistic. Having never been a JA, I can’t say whether it was a big jump but she didn’t mention anything about the class being particularly difficult. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your post - yes wise words! That's great about the MA place. I've just realised it's just the photos to do at this stage so worth a go!

41 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

Did anyone attend the Zoom audition talk for Year 6s tonight?! I missed it because I was working and my pupil's mum missed it because her toddler is ill. If anyone could share their notes, I would be profoundly grateful!

We attended. I’ll try summarise

Prelims will be held in all JA centres this year. 

Results from Prelims will be out 2 weeks after the audition for year 7 girls this will be either an invite to semi finals or a no. For year 7 boys and all other year groups

for girls (excluding upper school) will either be invited straight to finals or not. 

The reason they’ve added semi finals in is because they liked the smaller number that they had at finals last year. 

Semi finals will be held in either London, Bath or Manchester in Feb half term and Finals in March. 

Finals will be a more intensive 2 day process. 

MA results won’t be out until Easter and they did say that as the process has changed if you’ve ticked full time and don’t get invited to semi finals then perhaps warm yourselves up to the fact that a no is more likely for MAs.

The emphasis was to wear what they are comfortable in for the audition so they can dance their best but no fancy leotards. They need to fit well and not be distracting. Same with ballet shoes.

I think that’s about it. If I think of anything else I’ll let you know. 

• Like 1