Choreography by Pierre Lacotte after Marius Petipa

1 May 2022 Live

• alison changed the title to 21/22 Cinema/stream season
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of R & J, I was checking to see if there was a cinema performance coming up.  Sadly, it isn't until 14th February (a Valentine Day special, apparently.)  However, when  I checked to see who was performing, there doesn't appear to be a performance of R & J on that date. 

Presumably it not going to be an actual live performance, but a pre recorded one?  Seems a bit odd to announce it under Live Cinema if so.  I just assumed that all performances shown on that listing were ones from the current season's performances.

Edited by Fonty

9 minutes ago, Fonty said:

On the topic of R & J, I was checking to see if there was a cinema performance coming up.  Sadly, it isn't until 14th February (a Valentine Day special, apparently.)  However, when  I checked to see who was performing, there doesn't appear to be a performance of R & J on that date. 

Presumably it not going to be an actual live performance, but a pre recorded one?  Seems a bit odd to announce it under Live Cinema if so.  I just assumed that all performances shown on that listing were ones from the current season's performances.

I didn't see where it said "Live" (as has been in past)  but easily could have missed it ROH announces glittering line up for first Cinema Season in sixteen months

As for R&J O'Sullivan/Sambe are being filmed 28 Jan & 3 Feb so one (or a combination) of those? The other two (Nut & Swan Lake) do appear to be "live"

Edited by oncnp

The original casting information for the season showed a cinema relay for O'Sullivan and Sambé on 3rd February, which would have been live. Presumably they decided to delay the actual transmission to line up with Valentines Day, but missed updating the word "live" in some places? 

• 4 weeks later...

@Dawnstar I would doubt it.  The Bolshoi cinema relays are income for Pathé.  

The Royal Ballet don’t seem to be offering simultaneous home streaming on there cinema relays either.  I’m assuming to support the cinema industry, and whichever company bears the cost of the filming for cinema relay.

That's a shame given much of the cinema audience pre-covid was quite elderly, at least at my local cinema, & so may not feel able to attend the cinema. My mother, who went to all the ballet & opera cinecasts for several years pre-covid, doesn't feel able to go to the cinema this season. Hence I was hoping there might be a safe alternative for her.

I agree with you @Dawnstar my own elderly parents-in-law also choose not to risk attending cinema or theatre.  

Personally I like the streams … even if only available for 24 hours … as one can stop and start to suit.  And re-watch 😉.  I’d happily pay too.  The screenings during the global lockdown from the Bolshoi (amongst others) were free.  

However …. I do like the big screen experience in a cinema for the close-ups and feeling of being in the actual theatre with the live audience.  And at an affordable price!  

Edited by FionaE
Add info
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

According to Pathe the Spartacus casting on 7 November is: Igor Tsvirko (Spartacus), Anna Nikulina (Phrygia), Svetlana Zakharova (Aegina), Artemy Belyakov (Crassus)

Fabulous cast.  All of them!  

Maybe the last chance to see Zakharova in this role?  Certainly she is winding back on her roles.  Performed Nikiya in Bayadere for the last time recently.  

I’ve booked … though I shall have to take a train to Bath as none of the cinemas in Bristol are showing it … shocking for a city of 1 million people. 

• Like 2

Spartacus isn't being shown in Cardiff either! I may be joining you in Bath! It's between there and Bridgend for me - Bridgend is physically closer but a bus journey rather than train. A real shame this isn't being shown more widely.

14 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I’m searching unsuccessfully for an official ink showing Naghdi/Ball/Nuñez  for the RB stream of Giselle on 3 December?  

I’m being told it’s Morera/Hirano as they perform on 3 Dec !!

It isn't being shown "live".  When the site comes back up, try searching on "Stream" (the link is in another tread) and the announcement for the season's streams will come up. Also there is no camera filming that day but is shown for  Naghdi/Ball/Nuñez

Anybody got a good idea as to whether the Bolshoi/Pathe live stream of Spartacus is actually available in London tomorrow Sunday?

The Pathe website says it is (at 3pm) but I just tried the websites for both the Picturehouse chain and the Phoenix and what they are saying is bonkers, or at least no help. Phone calls don’t seem to be on offer so I thought I’d ask the Forum. 

Edited by Geoff

43 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Anybody got a good idea as to whether the Bolshoi/Pathe live stream of Spartacus is actually available in London tomorrow Sunday?

The Pathe website says it is (at 3pm) but I just tried the websites for both the Picturehouse chain and the Phoenix and what they are saying is bonkers, or at least no help. Phone calls don’t seem to be on offer so I thought I’d ask the Forum. 

I believe that Spartacus is showing at Curzon Victoria.

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm not sure what's "bonkers" about it, but 3 of the usual Picturehouse suspects I've tried are showing it, at 3 pm.  Not all branches, certainly, but you should be able to find one (I don't think Central has ever done the live relays).

Thanks everyone, v helpful. As to bonkers, both the official Bolshoi/Pathe website and the website of the Phoenix cinema itself listed a screening today at the Phoenix- but as the cinema (finally) just confirmed, they aren’t showing it. 

On 29/10/2021 at 19:42, Dawnstar said:

I wonder whether there's any chance Spartacus will be available on the Bolshoi's website? Pre-covid some of their live streams were available for a short time but the web address I have bookmarked from then http://media.bolshoi.ru/play  is now coming up as not found.

To answer my own question, I see from the Bolshoi's website & social media that they are making Spartacus available online for a short time but unfortunately it's only available in Russia. So no use for 99% of us on this forum!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The RB Giselle streamed performance is filmed on both 10th and 20th Nov? Does anyone know how that would translate in reality? Would they combine the performances or would it be something like act 1 from 10th Nov, act 2 on 20th Nov? I can't get my head around it haha. 

• 2 months later...

I've had an email from the Balanchine Trust today; apparently it's Balanchine's birthday. There were short videos of the wonderful Jacques d'Amboise rehearsing dancers in some key Balanchine roles.

But then a clip came on of Wendy Whelan interviewing d'Amboise and Merrill Ashley discussing Jewels.

D'Amboise reported that Balanchine said that Emeralds represents the French countryside in summer; Rubies represents 42nd Street at midnight on New Year's Eve; Diamonds represents the court of the Czar.

They talked most about Diamonds as d'Amboise had created the male role, partnering Suzanne Farrell, and Ashley had first danced it while still in the corps, before Farrell came back to the company. It had also been Whelan's first classical role, as a soloist. Farrell had recently returned to coach principals in the role and Whelan commented on how different her approach to the ballet was to how she'd been coached when learning it. They commented on how the ballerina is supposed to be elusive and indecisive, uncertain whether to give in to love or not as an element of passion is hinted at, and there are suggestions of Odette. Apparently initially there were more variations in Diamonds than we see today. Modern dancers take a while to learn how to dance off balance, whereas it was second nature to Farrell.

Altogether a very interesting discussion.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

From Gramilano

The Australian Ballet, now under its new Artistic Director David Hallberg, has announced three new titles as part of its 2022 live stream series: Live on Ballet TV.

• Anna Karenina will be streamed live from Arts Centre Melbourne on 8 March 2022
  • Alexei Ratmansky’s Harlequinade on 24 June 2022
  • 18 October 2022, John Cranko’s version of Romeo and Juliet 

A performance costs $25 AUD (circa 18 USD/ 16 EUR).  Live on Ballet TV | The Australian Ballet

From the website - Each live stream is available to watch once only and within a single sitting. The link to access the stream is available to view for 48 hours.