Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I got this email from Trafalgar Studios with details of new cinema cultural events. Some of them are plays and Metropolitan Opera season but there is the 2021/22 Bolshoi ballet season as well.

https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/inbox/id/AQMkADAwATYwMAItZGQAMzQtOTFjMC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAO%2FXQFqTsSFTrjvHgqOeEmSBwCPA1%2Fr9w2lRZyeVAuTnF7CAAACAQwAAAB4WvjRaiXXTIQShAX9COQgAAP%2FRTZNAAAA

 

If this doesn't work (it is linked to my email) this is the Bolshoi link.

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FhxDwQIygZV9rHUGy69T83cS02Yn8NH-/view

 

Spartacus        Nov 7 2021

Nutcracker       Dec 19 2021

Jewels              Jan 23 2022

Swan lake         Mar 6 2022

Pharaoh's daughter. May 1 2022


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know, please, which Royal Ballet performances are going to be screened in cinemas? I can't find any showing up, but I was sure I'd read that there would be some screenings and some streamings...

Edited by daisydance
typo!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Nutcracker is I think the only one that's been confirmed so far - at least, as of last week.  You could take an educated guess by seeing which of the casts have "Filming" next to them, and what times they're on (I doubt there's going to be a live relay at 11.30 am on a Saturday, for instance!), but I do wish the ROH would hurry up and confirm it.  They must surely have arranged the dates with the cinemas already.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In an updated version (Aug 4th) of the Trafalgar Studios posting I did earlier Trafalgar say they will launch the new ROH season on Tuesday September 7th. Tried to copy and paste the announcement but can't manage it on my phone. 

I had heard every programme is being either streamed or shown at the cinema. Filming dates have been announced for Romeo, Sambe/O'Sullivan Jan 28, Dante 21st October,  Ashton Insight (streamed) 27th October,  Giselle Naghdi/Ball 10th Nov, Nutcracker 6th Dec,  Takada/Coralles.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is now the 7th September and the only ROH cinema streaming's I can find announced are the Nutcracker 9th and 12 December, Romeo and Juliet 14th and 20th February, Swan Lake 19th and 22nd May.

The list of programme's being filmed is much greater than this so just hoping there are more to be announced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Stevie said:

It is now the 7th September and the only ROH cinema streaming's I can find announced are the Nutcracker 9th and 12 December, Romeo and Juliet 14th and 20th February, Swan Lake 19th and 22nd May.

The list of programme's being filmed is much greater than this so just hoping there are more to be announced.

 

That looks like it....and no mention of streaming...

 

ROH announces glittering line up for first Cinema Season in sixteen months

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

 

That looks like it....and no mention of streaming...

 

ROH announces glittering line up for first Cinema Season in sixteen months

 

Playing it safe?  Financially or Covid-wise?  I wonder if they're considering new income streams, although as you say, there's no mention yet of streaming.  But I find it difficult to believe, based on previous experience, that they won't record the two new ballets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dante project is due to be streamed on 26th October and Giselle on 20th November. These (and the cinema broadcasts) were mentioned within the casting information for the season, released a few months ago. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Northern Ballet's Covid-age version of Dangerous Liaisons is in cinemas next week.

 

https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/northern_ballet_dangerous_liaisons_in_cinemas/16488


Unfortunately it seems to be showing in a peculiar selection of cinemas. It isn't at either of the ones I see the Royal or Bolshoi broadcasts, which are still a fair distance from where I live. The nearest cinema to me that this is showing is nearly 45 miles away. Too far to go for an evening showing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DanJL said:

Dante project is due to be streamed on 26th October and Giselle on 20th November. These (and the cinema broadcasts) were mentioned within the casting information for the season, released a few months ago. 

 

Thank you. Forgot about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic but I thought it might be of interest to some. I had an email from Trafalgar today about a cinema screening of a film of  the Victoria and Albert's Alice in Wonderland exhibition currently on until Dec 31st. The screening is around Oct 14th. There may be a slight ballet interest as some of the earlier publicity photographs featured the amazing RB Red Queen costume. So pehaps that might be there.

 

https://www.aliceincinemas.com/synopsis/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen dates for the Bolshoi screenings? I've got dates (eg Spartacus, 7 November) but the source may have been for screenings in France; and when I checked that date for the cinema I usually travel to, in York, there was no mention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place for this or if it should be under cinema.

 

I thought I read somewhere ages ago when the new season was formally announced that all ROH programmes would be shown at the cinema which seemed a really good idea as some people will probably still be hesitant about travelling. However, when the cinema details were announced it was just the usual 6 performances (3 opera and 3 ballet). I wondered if this was the first cinema season and more performances will follow (I am especially concerned about the Ashton triple). I contacted customer services and they say that only the 6 performances named will be shown at the cinema which was a blow as I always take a couple of non-internet friends with me so even if it is streamed they wouldn't see it. The Customer Services Manager who replied said a decision hasn't been made as to whether or not the Ashton triple will be streamed and I need to 'watch this space'. As a performance on 29th April is scheduled for cameras I'm still hoping it will be streamed. I also can't see a new full-length Wheeldon ballet not being broadcast in some way and cameras are there 9th June. So if there are filming dates why not announce the format? I know it's a long time ahead but I'd feel better if I knew the Ashton at least was being recorded in some format.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Not sure if this is the best place for this or if it should be under cinema.

 

I thought I read somewhere ages ago when the new season was formally announced that all ROH programmes would be shown at the cinema which seemed a really good idea as some people will probably still be hesitant about travelling. However, when the cinema details were announced it was just the usual 6 performances (3 opera and 3 ballet). I wondered if this was the first cinema season and more performances will follow (I am especially concerned about the Ashton triple). I contacted customer services and they say that only the 6 performances named will be shown at the cinema which was a blow as I always take a couple of non-internet friends with me so even if it is streamed they wouldn't see it. The Customer Services Manager who replied said a decision hasn't been made as to whether or not the Ashton triple will be streamed and I need to 'watch this space'. As a performance on 29th April is scheduled for cameras I'm still hoping it will be streamed. I also can't see a new full-length Wheeldon ballet not being broadcast in some way and cameras are there 9th June. So if there are filming dates why not announce the format? I know it's a long time ahead but I'd feel better if I knew the Ashton at least was being recorded in some format.

I took it that the cinema and streaming ones so far announced are for the period one section of the season, other periods to follow later. At least that is what I have assumed, I hope correctly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may well be wrong but I have a feeling that I heard someone, possibly from the Ballet Association, say that they were offering funding for the streaming of the Ashton programme. So maybe the ROH is having to get financial support for streaming the different programmes.

12 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Not sure if this is the best place for this or if it should be under cinema.

 

I thought I read somewhere ages ago when the new season was formally announced that all ROH programmes would be shown at the cinema which seemed a really good idea as some people will probably still be hesitant about travelling. However, when the cinema details were announced it was just the usual 6 performances (3 opera and 3 ballet). I wondered if this was the first cinema season and more performances will follow (I am especially concerned about the Ashton triple). I contacted customer services and they say that only the 6 performances named will be shown at the cinema which was a blow as I always take a couple of non-internet friends with me so even if it is streamed they wouldn't see it. The Customer Services Manager who replied said a decision hasn't been made as to whether or not the Ashton triple will be streamed and I need to 'watch this space'. As a performance on 29th April is scheduled for cameras I'm still hoping it will be streamed. I also can't see a new full-length Wheeldon ballet not being broadcast in some way and cameras are there 9th June. So if there are filming dates why not announce the format? I know it's a long time ahead but I'd feel better if I knew the Ashton at least was being recorded in some format.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

I took it that the cinema and streaming ones so far announced are for the period one section of the season, other periods to follow later. At least that is what I have assumed, I hope correctly.

 

Incorrectly, it would appear, since Swan Lake in May has already been announced :( 

 

It must cost a lot to do the cinema broadcasts (two nights' recording, plus you lose quite a few expensive seats for cameras), so I suspect the ROH will only be doing the ones where it's virtually guaranteed that they will pull in a big audience, and stream everything else :( 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the earlier announcement was that each production would be broadcast, either by streaming or cinema. At the time of the announcement I can imagine there may have been a cautious approach to resuming cinema relays. Plus of course the streaming during the pandemic has proved very popular and opened up new audiences. Personally I rather like the convenience of being able to watch at home (and repeated times). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FionaE said:

Wonder whether ROH would consider cinema relays becoming subsequent streams … eg after the encore cinema relay.   For additional income

at no extra expense.  🤔 

 

Good idea but streaming isn't free. The ROH has to pay for hosting and billing. Don't know the cost or how many tickets it would take to break even. 

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, alison said:

 

Incorrectly, it would appear, since Swan Lake in May has already been announced :( 

 

It must cost a lot to do the cinema broadcasts (two nights' recording, plus you lose quite a few expensive seats for cameras), so I suspect the ROH will only be doing the ones where it's virtually guaranteed that they will pull in a big audience, and stream everything else :( 

 

The streamings are doing as many nights of filming, based on the "Camera Filming" notation. 2 days (3 performances) for Giselle and 3 for "Dante" but presumably for DVD release. 

Edited by oncnp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, oncnp said:

 

Good idea but streaming isn't free. The ROH has to pay for hosting and billing. Don't know the cost or how many tickets it would take to break even. 

 

I understand that streaming is a very expensive process.

 

I wonder if it would be cheaper to have the performance filmed but not shown live (as with Northern Ballet's recent film release of Dangerous Liaisons)?  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

 

I understand that streaming is a very expensive process.

 

I wonder if it would be cheaper to have the performance filmed but not shown live (as with Northern Ballet's recent film release of Dangerous Liaisons)?  

 

Well, the RB are doing this anyway with Romeo being filmed the beginning of Feb but not broadcast until the 14th. Perhaps this is an area they can explore as other ballet companies seem to do it. I suppose there is no real need for the cinema broadcast to be 'live' as from a cinema perspective, if it's filmed with a live audience you appear to be watching a live performance even if it isn't. If it's a lot easier and cheaper to broadcast a filmed performance then by all means go for it. Perhaps just keep one or 2 live performances a year; say for something special. I'm sure the majority of people seeing the ROH screenings at their local cinema aren't really bothered about whether or not it's live. OK ,we might prefer live performances so we can discuss them on the Forum but if the ROH can save money by not having live satellites good luck to them.

 

Incidentally, RHowarth is quite correct in that the ROH used to broadcast 12 performances a year at the cinema not the 6 I said. It doesn't take long for me to lose my memory! Dan JLs point about the ROH being cautious about committing themselves to a lot  of expensive livestreaming is a good one too. They did at least pencil in the camera dates to indicate their intention of doing something; whether it be for livestreaming/TV/dvd so lets hope something comes of it. As long as I get the Ashton triple in some format I don't care. Sheila's point about the Ballet Association Funding for the Ashton livestreaming is a good one and gives me hope we will see it in some format. I just hope next season sees a return to a full length Ashton; la Fille would obviously be the main favourite but I'd settle for Sylvia or even Ondine, especially after Francesca Hayward's amazing performance in the Fonteyn Gala. Like Fonteyn she was obviously born to dance the role.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2021 at 08:50, SheilaC said:

I may well be wrong but I have a feeling that I heard someone, possibly from the Ballet Association, say that they were offering funding for the streaming of the Ashton programme. So maybe the ROH is having to get financial support for streaming the different programmes.

 

I'm afraid I was probably wrong. I've just heard from the Ashton Foundation that the Ashton evening in late October will be streamed (at a later date). I now think that the funding offer I heard related to the Ashton evening, not the 2022 programme.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I'm afraid I was probably wrong. I've just heard from the Ashton Foundation that the Ashton evening in late October will be streamed (at a later date). I now think that the funding offer I heard related to the Ashton evening, not the 2022 programme.

 

Good to know that the Ashton evening will be streamed, though!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • alison changed the title to 21/22 Cinema/stream season

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...