Beatriz Stix-Brunell to leave the Royal Ballet - and post-ballet news

Wow, I didn't see that coming! In the last few years of watching ballet she has been the dancer I've enjoyed watching the most. Very sorry to see her go, but best wishes to her for her new career! 

• Like 16

Guest oncnp

Very sorry to see her go but huge congratulations. Getting into Stanford is no mean achievement.  

Will miss not only her dancing but her insightful IG posts.

Edited by oncnp

I'm entirely confident that Beatriz will prosper wherever she finds herself.  Well done her, I say .... and Stanford is oh, so lucky.  In the pre-pandemic world I ran programmes in tow with them both here as part of a programme at Oxford and in San Quentin.  Who knows, perhaps I'll have a chance to bump into the ever glorious Ms.  Stix-Brunnell one of these days.  What a treat it would be to personally thank her for all the joy she has brought to my own personal table.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

It doesn’t say when her last performance will be. It would be good to know that to make a point of being there. I have such great memories of all her performances, but  particularly Juliet which was outstanding.

Edited by J_New
  • Like 4

Such mixed emotions. She has such an infectious presence both off stage and on. Just sad that the final year  of her ballet career was beset by injury and the pandemic. There was so much more she would have brought to the repertoire.

• Like 6

Reading her wonderful IG posts she’s always struck me as being very bright so her wanting to pursue an academic career is not a total surprise. Very sad to see her go and I’m sure she’ll be greatly missed by the company and by her many fans. However,  the very best of luck to her for the future.

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Wow, I didn't see that coming! In the last few years of watching ballet she has been the dancer I've enjoyed watching the most. Very sorry to see her go, but best wishes to her for her new career! 

perhaps once settled in she may  do  what  Dr Merritt Moore   does   and   guest  with various companies 

• Like 1

I think it was very fitting that the first I heard of this was from Yuhui Choe’s Instagram 😆

Having only just listened to the brilliant interview with Beatriz on the SportiveAF podcast (dated December 2020)  I’m not surprised her next life chapter is in academia. 

I do hope we get to see her on stage before the end of the season. 🤞

Bittersweet feelings! She is one of my favourite dancers, I have always thought she has such a unique energy and presence. I feel sad we never got to see her perform many of the main principal roles in the classic ballets- she would have been terrific. I am sure she will shine bright at Stanford too, but the ballet world will miss her! 

• Like 10

Well, what a great shame for Ms Stix-Brunell’s many fans, but congratulations to her on her place at Stanford.  I’m sure she will have a very bright future indeed.  I was really quite indignant that she wasn’t promoted to Principal in the latest round of promotions but this explains why, and I’m glad it wasn’t a question of another wonderful dancer being overlooked. 

I for one will greatly miss BS-B’s wonderful dancing and acting; hopefully she will keep an online presence so we can enjoy her lovely, funny posts even when she’s no longer shining onstage at the ROH. 

• Like 12

I am SO sad about this! I feel that she had so much more to give and was really looking forward to seeing her tackle more principal roles very soon. Her dancing is so expressive and interesting and she really fills the stage with her personality. I'm sure she will succeed in whatever she gives her attention to since she's clearly a remarkable person, and I wish her all the best at Stanford. But I will miss her so much!

• Like 7

Very best wishes to Beatriz Stix-Brunell for her new career.

As everyone here knows I am only an occasional visitor to ROH but she has always stood out from the crowd for me.  She will be missed on the ROH stage.

• Like 4

Bea is a lovely, bright, fun and quirky lady.  She will do very well at Stanford and whatever she decides to do after that.  Her brother, to whom she is very close, also lives in southern California so it will be great for her to spend more time with him as she has missed out a lot over the past ten years.

I wish her very well and lots of love and happiness in all that she does.  

• Like 14

What a loss for RB, like others have already commented I thought she had great stage presence and really inhabited roles and characters brilliantly.

Congratulations are in order and Stanford sounds like an exciting and wonderful opportunity and wish her the very best! 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sim said:

Bea is a lovely, bright, fun and quirky lady.  She will do very well at Stanford and whatever she decides to do after that.  Her brother, to whom she is very close, also lives in southern California so it will be great for her to spend more time with him as she has missed out a lot over the past ten years.

I wish her very well and lots of love and happiness in all that she does.  

Totally agree, Sim, and let's hope we get the chance to give her a really good send-off on the ROH stage.

• Like 5

Really sad to hear this but congratulations and good luck for her at Stanford. I really love her stage presence and how she inhabits her roles. I remember her in Swan Lake, even though she's just a side character she really inhabited that role, giving it life, and that contributes to make the whole production a special one. The audiences will surely miss her

• Like 2

I’m really sad to hear this as she is one of my favourites and glows onstage. What a loss to the ballet world! But I wish her every success in her new path, such an intelligent woman will be an asset to Stanford - not sure if they realise what lunacy is about to hit them, though! 😂

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I’m really sad to hear this as she is one of my favourites and glows onstage. What a loss to the ballet world! But I wish her every success in her new path, such an intelligent woman will be an asset to Stanford - not sure if they realise what lunacy is about to hit them, though! 😂

Someone should tell them to hide the skeletons and chickens! 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I am a huge fan of her Instagram page, she is completely daft ( in a lovely way ) and will miss her "green beanie" very much. God Bless Beau, stay safe and be happy.

• Like 3

I'm very sorry to hear she's leaving the RB, but thrilled for her that she's off to Stanford.  I've always loved her dancing & I think the first time I saw her was when she danced with Chris Wheeldon's company at Sadlers Wells - obviously he knew a great dancer when he saw her! Since then she's shone in everything I've seen her dance & I'm gutted at the thought I won't be seeing her dance again.

• Like 3

Oh what a loss to us ballet fans. 
I first saw her on a YouTube video when she was with Wheeldon in a studio somewhere in America I think and thought who is that dancer!! 
Was very pleased when she joined the Royal and have enjoyed so many of her performances especially in Two Pigeons and as Alice. She has a great stage presence. 
Wonderful news for her of course. Does anybody know what she is studying...I’m not on Instagram. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

. Does anybody know what she is studying...I’m not on Instagram. 

Haven't seen that anywhere, I'll be very interested to find out. Love her as a dancer and from her social media posts she's clearly as sharp as a tack, so Stanford will be a fantastic development opportunity for her.  It's worth joining Instagram just to follow her, as she posts a mix of ballet insight and laugh out loud observational humour. He latest craze seems to be fancy poultry - does Stanford offer Chicken Studies? 😂

• Like 3

Well, it does seem from the official statement as if she will be cast in the final mixed bill of this 'season'. Hurrah. The cheering will be 'voluminous', even from behind our masks.

I, too, have loved Bea on stage in many, many roles but the very best 'performance' I saw from her came when a fan was, shall we say, rather too enthusiastic in his approach to her at the Stage Door. She scythed him aside verbally and physically with no more that a one-liner, a look and a gesture. Brilliant! Yet, at the same time, she was among the most friendly of dancers.

She has been the best 'essayist' by far on social media during the pandemic so her academic career choice is unsurprising. And, at ?27?, she doesn't need to say 'goodbye' to dancing. The world is her oyster.

For now, if you're reading this Bea - thank you 🙏 and good luck 🍀 You really will be missed.

• Like 4

I’m sad too. She inhabited her roles and there was a glow whenever she was onstage. I will miss her. She’s unique. I am sure she will do well at Stanford as she is very intelligent as well as emotionally intelligent. 

• Like 9

Am super sad for the RB (she is a brilliant brand ambassador) and for us fans, but am very happy for her. 

Echoing all who are already queuing for her final ROH performance. 

Who knows? San Francisco Ballet might coax her to guest during school vacations 🤞