Upper School Health Insurance

Encroix

Thanks. I've looked through these. All cover seems to require the insured to be 18+ though. I don't have private cover myself so can't add DD on to it. 

So I guess my question is, can you insure a 16 year old? And if so, which companies offer this? 

When I was looking for my DD, AXA PPP Heatlhcare offered package for her. She was only 16 and quote was for £386

I wanted an alternative and compared it with the one Central school has offered.  Identical cover, identical insurer but the price difference was huge.

Info from 2018 year x

39 minutes ago, Encroix said:

Thanks. I've looked through these. All cover seems to require the insured to be 18+ though. I don't have private cover myself so can't add DD on to it. 

So I guess my question is, can you insure a 16 year old? And if so, which companies offer this? 

All of the companies will insure an under-18 but you have to phone and speak to them for a quote, they won’t do it online. Don’t forget about pre-existing conditions/previous injuries. Last year we ended up sticking with the schools policy because it covered injuries/conditions they already had covered in the past. A new policy would have been cheaper but not covered them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

When I was looking for my DD, AXA PPP Heatlhcare offered package for her. She was only 16 and quote was for £386

I wanted an alternative and compared it with the one Central school has offered.  Identical cover, identical insurer but the price difference was huge.

Info from 2018 year x

Was it cheaper through Central or direct with AXA? 

If you have more than one dependant under 18 (a policy might even cover up to older ages if still in full time education) it could be worth looking at a personal policy (or family policy) & adding on kids. I have an Aviva policy which then cost me about an extra £22 a month to add DD onto it but it then covered all other kids in family for free....I only have one other bit even if I’d 10 more they’d be covered so great value for larger families!

It’s also worth cross reffing the level of cover & also if you have a preferred physio or other treatment practitioner as some may be covered by one insurer & not another. A London practitioner we were recommended to wouid be covered by Aviva but Nit by AXA. Also, recently found DD could be covered for local physio during lockdown for up to 20 appointments via Aviva but it would only have been 10 sessions maximum with AXA. 

But - I think - AXA better if consultant appointments required.....it’s not a science this insurance business it seems! 

good luck!  

Edited by Peanut68
Typos
  • Like 1