ENBS summer intensive 2021 (lunch and general queries)

Tokyo Ballerina

2 hours ago, Tokyo Ballerina said:
Hi. Does anyone know if lunch will be served at ENBS during summer intensive course or do we have to bring own lunch everyday? Thank you in advance!

Hi Tokyo Ballerina.

No lunch is provided at ENBS so you will need to bring a packed lunch. 

15 hours ago, MariCat said:

Is there a thread for ENBS 2021?  We applied last week and waiting to hear results.  I guess they will let us know on Monday.  Anyone else waiting? 

Are you asking about the Intensive MariCat?  I thought we did have but I can't find it.  There are lots of threads about ENBS but none specifically about this year's Summer Intensive.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to ENBS summer intensive 2021 (lunch and general queries)
On 05/06/2021 at 10:43, Tokyo Ballerina said:

I don't find the thread neither. As my daughter is traveling from Tokyo, I would appreciate any information about the intensive. Thank you.

Hi. My DD attended ENBS Summer intensive a few years ago. Doubtful they have changed much over the years. Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

Ps re packed lunches. There are plenty of food outlets in the surrounding areas for lunch. Even at the nearby Petrol Station has a mini food market. Definitely take the food with them at the start of the day as the pupils were not permitted to leave the premises during the day. Plus the breaks weren’t that long. I’m not sure where your DD will be staying but as we were in an Air BnB we were able to prepare packed lunches at our accommodation. Certainly helped with the budget.   
Hope that helps. ☺️

15 hours ago, PrancingMum said:

Has anyone who applied the other week heard back yet with the offer of a place (or otherwise)?

We applied and I think they said 10 days before hearing which I have taken as the end of this week (although I could be wrong) 

Thank you for the replies. I received a confirmation email from the course email address that they received audition photos. But I never received an email that they received the online application form which I filled out via their website portal. I should have emailed them earlier to see it if went through right after I filled it out.  My bad.   I did send an email yesterday to ask if his online application form went through but haven’t heard back yet. 

On 07/06/2021 at 19:29, balletbean said:

Hi. My DD attended ENBS Summer intensive a few years ago. Doubtful they have changed much over the years. Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

Ps re packed lunches. There are plenty of food outlets in the surrounding areas for lunch. Even at the nearby Petrol Station has a mini food market. Definitely take the food with them at the start of the day as the pupils were not permitted to leave the premises during the day. Plus the breaks weren’t that long. I’m not sure where your DD will be staying but as we were in an Air BnB we were able to prepare packed lunches at our accommodation. Certainly helped with the budget.   
Hope that helps. ☺️

Thank you so much! It helps a lot.  I've been trying to find a host family via agency, but can not find one so far. Do you know if the school can find her a host family? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tokyo Ballerina said:

Thank you so much! It helps a lot.  I've been trying to find a host family via agency, but can not find one so far. Do you know if the school can find her a host family? 

I think it will depend on where you are flying from. If your home country is not on our green list to fly into then you will need to quarantine on your arrival to the UK which i should imagine will make it difficult for a host family to take you in. 
Definitely something you will need to look into given current circumstances.

Otherwise you will need to find an Airbnb and arrange PCR testing for you / your daughter xx

12 hours ago, Tokyo Ballerina said:

They did used to have a list of contacts. Not sure if they still do. No harm in asking. That’s for sure. 

On 09/06/2021 at 21:45, Tokyo Ballerina said:

When my DD did ENBS in 2019, there were two Japanese girls in her class that shared a guardian who flew in from Japan with them. They stayed at a hostel in walking distance near the station (I am sorry I do not know which one) and I think the guardian cooked for them too. 
When my DD did RBS (residential), there was a girl from japan with a Japanese guardian who was local (she accompanied drop off/pick up and came for observation day). It seemed like they both found guardians through a Japanese agency.

Are you working with a Japanese agency? 

3 hours ago, PrancingMum said:

So one of DC’s friends has a place but the other hasn’t said yet and we don’t want to ask - wondering how any places were available and if there was is a wait list.

Those on the 2020 waitlist were made offers but I haven’t heard of any waitlisted from the current applications.  We know of two very happy dancers who have places so hope your DC’s friend was also offered a place.

On 12/06/2021 at 01:21, junedancer said:

Those on the 2020 waitlist were made offers but I haven’t heard of any waitlisted from the current applications.  We know of two very happy dancers who have places so hope your DC’s friend was also offered a place.

Thank you - yes a place was offered - it was in Junk and as we hadn’t mentioned it they didn’t know to look. Everyone we know has a place this year.  Looks like it might have been a good year to apply if overseas students are concerned about travel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Northballetmum said:

DD was accepted to course 2 but due to a clash we moved to course 1. Not looking for accommodation - any suggestions gratefully received - she is 15 so I will need to stay with her!

Hi. My DD had only just turned 15 when she attended. We sourced a little flat through Air BnB. It was only about a 10min walk away so no public transport required which was helpful. That was a couple of years ago but maybe worth a having a look. Definitely more budget friendly than a hotel as I was able to cook and do the laundry during our 2 weeks stay. Hotel living and dining would have blown the budget completely out the window. 

On 13/06/2021 at 21:05, balletbean said:

Hi. My DD had only just turned 15 when she attended. We sourced a little flat through Air BnB. It was only about a 10min walk away so no public transport required which was helpful. That was a couple of years ago but maybe worth a having a look. Definitely more budget friendly than a hotel as I was able to cook and do the laundry during our 2 weeks stay. Hotel living and dining would have blown the budget completely out the window. 

Thank you - I will have a look on air b n b - hopefully we can find something nearby 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received the student handbook yet?   Just made the payment last week by the deadline.   The acceptance email states that the handbooks would be sent out in early July.  It’s now the 7th and we haven’t received my son’s handbook yet.  

On 05/06/2021 at 09:15, Jan McNulty said:

Are you asking about the Intensive MariCat?  I thought we did have but I can't find it.  There are lots of threads about ENBS but none specifically about this year's Summer Intensive.

I've added some tags which may help you to find other related threads - but only if someone has tagged those, too.

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2021 at 05:50, Tokyo Ballerina said:

Hi. I assume that the participants of the summer intensives 2021 have been observed as a candidate for their annual program 2022-23 (if you wish).

Has anyone heard anything from the school about it? 

I didn’t think there were any senior staff teaching on the course and it wasn’t clear if anyone was watching either - despite them asking if you wanted to be considered.  This was never an audition anyway - that was made clear.  We know several really good dancer who were there but no-one has heard anything.

Edited by PrancingMum