Royal Ballet: Balanchine and Robbins Spring 2021

I think Nureyev suited the role so much partly because of his striking and slightly exotic features ...but of course it was also what he gave off on stage a sort of superhuman energy ....you could believe he was Apollo!! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/06/2021 at 22:21, LinMM said:

I think Nureyev suited the role so much partly because of his striking and slightly exotic features ...but of course it was also what he gave off on stage a sort of superhuman energy ....you could believe he was Apollo!! 

Are you telling me he WASN'T Apollo?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

😂 Well at least he had me doubting his human status lol! 

I actually thought Matthew Ball made a great Apollo recently.  Of course, his dancing although good was not the best, but he has that noble godlike appearance that very few RB male dancers have.  What a profile - displayed multiple times to excellent effect in the recent streamed production.  But Nureyev really was a god IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late catching up with the stream (which is available until Sunday) but I really appreciated the showing of the Ball cast close-up - the expressions added so much to the performance I'd seen in the theatre.  And as for Muntagirov and Nunez in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, well, I'd think that would probably be worth the purchase price all on its own!  The glee with which they danced it was truly infectious :) 

I wonder if there's any possibility of this turning up on the BBC or somewhere ...

• Like 7

Like I said before I will make the review of the rest of the stream when I have time to watch it, now I finally get the time to watch the rest of the stream (I don't watch DAAG though). I like Ball's Apollo I thought he dance and interpret his role really well. I like that part when he realise his power as a god. Like someone said here he doesn't have Muntagirov's lines (I can only judge from pictures as I can't attend the live show), but his Apollo is great and worth to watch. The muses danced their roles well too, I really like their acting and expressions. I thought that the whole performance is great and worth to watch

• Like 2