Royal Ballet: Balanchine and Robbins Spring 2021

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Apollo last night was even better than the superb standard set at the opening performance.  All enveloped the very soul of Stravinsky's music as if it were - in and of itself - an act of celebratory resurrection.  Moments in DAAG - especially when involving Morera, Kaneko, Nunez, Bonelli, Campbell and Bracewell - made the Chopin sound for all the world as it were the  most vivid plainsong known to man.  Osipova etched the Tchaikovsky with the accelerated thrill of her determined joy.  

What was disappointing for me was not the behaviour on stage - but that in the audience.  I sat (much as RobS had as he noted about his Stalls bench) in my single seat locked in on the far cusp of the of the Amphi separated by two only seats from a young couple who had their masks either off or below their chin and who - while rightfully enjoying the balletic fare - spoke and called out throughout.  I must confess I felt far from safe in these particular environs.  

I work as a volunteer usher at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea and we are instructed, (whilst not disrupting the performance) to ask people to keep their masks on at all times. Is it perhaps a little too difficult for the ushers to see everyone in the amphitheatre? Anyway it was very poor behaviour by these audience members and I hope it didn’t distract you too much from the wonders going on on stage. 

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Further to my post above the ROH puts not only the safety of the public but itself at risk (from fines or even worse) by not having enough staff to keep an eye on what is going on in any particular area.  At Cadogan Hall since their reopening they've had to take on extra staff because of the Covid rules, whilst having a greatly reduced income from tickets.  They're lucky that unlike the ROH they can rely on volunteers but the ROH has a lot of sponsorship and surely they can afford to take on extra staff (for what will hopefully be a short time) in order to try and ensure everyone's safety.

Edited by Nina99

I believe that following the ROH restructuring, ushers are spread very thinly and doubtless there are not enough of them to pick up on audience behaviour unless it is right there in front of them.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LinMM said:

If I was that worried that I might pick the virus up by going to the theatre I wouldn’t go to be honest though realise this view may not be popular. 

I totally agree, Lin.  If I were that scared that I thought I was 'taking my life into my own hands' I wouldn't leave the house.  Personally I think the ROH is doing a great job, and if anything being too cautious, but of course they are following guidelines.  I just can't understand how everyone thinks the virus won't fly out of your mouth/nose when you are sitting down talking and eating, but it will when you are walking around a venue, or sitting still in an auditorium.  Strange.   

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I normally have to take my glasses off when wearing a mask and walking from shop to shop etc. I was very pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive I found my mask when watching the rehearsal the other day and also on the three + hour train journey. Certainly no misting from the mask. Dances at a Gathering another story as I find it so deeply affecting.

Sorry - this has crossed when Alison was setting up a separate thread.

Edited by JohnS
Now wrong thread
  • Like 3

Bringing us back to the 'heavenly' programme which the RB is showing at the moment...........

I am overwhelmed by the quality of performance we are being treated to this week. Everyone on stage seems to be 'scaling the heights' but, perhaps chief among them, is Muntagirov who ends Apollo  in a beam of light at the very top of the mountain which is, surely, where his dancing (as Apollo and in TchaiPas) belongs.

• Like 18

Agreed capybara. It’s astonishing that the heights achieved in March 2020 are again being scaled. I can’t say if they’re being exceeded as I’m limited to rehearsals and streaming. I wish I were seeing more and it’s great to read the posts from all those attending.

• Like 4

Must be that &"£$%"£$% new Firefox update, then.  It keeps telling me it can't find servers, ROH among them.  Yet I've just tried directly on Internet Explorer and they came up.  Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

Yes they are scheduled for Friday stream 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Must be that &"£$%"£$% new Firefox update, then.  It keeps telling me it can't find servers, ROH among them.  Yet I've just tried directly on Internet Explorer and they came up.  Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

But Cesar Corrales with Natalia Osipova will be terrific if you've got them tonight or on Thursday.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the cast lists go online at a certain time of the day?

Looking at the Friends 2021-22 Guide it seems that this practice will continue,

if so it's the end of a tradition. It also says paper tickets will still be available by post at no extra cost🙂

Have just seen The Arts Desk review of this bill (by Jenny Gilbert) which will no doubt be in the Links tomorrow. It includes such a funny line about Osipova in Tchaikovsky pdd: 'Osipova is the kind of woman who could make toast just by looking at a slice of bread'.  😆

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I don't, no.  I know that when they started they were going up so late that it wasn't possible to print them off before travelling up for the performance, but now I've seen them online by about 4 pm.  I've no idea when they actually go up, though - and possibly they may have to be edited if there's a late cast change?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I think its between 10.30 and 11am - at least it was the only time I remembered to check during the day, before getting to ROH - but not set in stone, as someone was saying it was about 2-3 hours before curtain up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Corrales in TchaiPas (with Osipova) anyone?

Thursday night for me…and Nela/Vadream tomorrow night.  My cup runneth over!  

So lovely seeing James Hay in DaaG last night...his partnership with Anna Rose O'Sullivan was pure joy. Yasmine Naghdi was classy throughout, and Fumi Kaneko came into her own as the Green Girl. Also very pleased to see another strong performance from Romany Pajdak as a soloist.

My first viewing of Apollo...very enjoyable, a quirky interpretation of how the Greek Gods besport themselves! Raised eyebrows of the night were for Annette Buvoli giving birth to a swaddling-wrapped, fully grown Matthew Ball😮!

Looking forward very much to seeing  this programme again tomorrow.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Slight diversion - anyone know a version of Apollo as a duet?  A report from an event with NYCB and ABT dancers in today's Links mentions what appears to be just that.

perhaps it's just an extract - the Apollo/Terpsichore duet maybe

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Slight diversion - anyone know a version of Apollo as a duet?  A report from an event with NYCB and ABT dancers in today's Links mentions what appears to be just that.

I think this is the pas de deux between Apollo and Terpsichore which is often performed at galas. I know Melissa Hamilton has performed this with Roberto Bolle as part of his Roberto and Friends tours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

So lovely seeing James Hay in DaaG last night...his partnership with Anna Rose O'Sullivan was pure joy.

Absolutely.  It had me regretting that Brick isn't a larger role.

Watching performances so close together, it was instructive to see how much my reaction on the "Alison clapometer" differed between the two casts throughout the ballet, so it's less the choreography and more the interpretation that does it for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sim said:

Thursday night for me…and Nela/Vadream tomorrow night.  My cup runneth over!  

I'm also going on Thursday and would be there tonight, too, if any cheap tickets should magically come available. Otherwise it will have to be Friday's stream for the Nela/Vadim Tchaik pas de deux - unless the Friday singles covers this Friday and there are any affordable tickets available.

• Like 1