Royal Ballet: Balanchine and Robbins Spring 2021

Bringing us back to the 'heavenly' programme which the RB is showing at the moment...........

I am overwhelmed by the quality of performance we are being treated to this week. Everyone on stage seems to be 'scaling the heights' but, perhaps chief among them, is Muntagirov who ends Apollo  in a beam of light at the very top of the mountain which is, surely, where his dancing (as Apollo and in TchaiPas) belongs.

• Like 16

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed capybara. It’s astonishing that the heights achieved in March 2020 are again being scaled. I can’t say if they’re being exceeded as I’m limited to rehearsals and streaming. I wish I were seeing more and it’s great to read the posts from all those attending.

• Like 4

Must be that &"£$%"£$% new Firefox update, then.  It keeps telling me it can't find servers, ROH among them.  Yet I've just tried directly on Internet Explorer and they came up.  Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, alison said:

Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

Yes they are scheduled for Friday stream 

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Must be that &"£$%"£$% new Firefox update, then.  It keeps telling me it can't find servers, ROH among them.  Yet I've just tried directly on Internet Explorer and they came up.  Slightly disappointed to find I've got a performance without Nunez/Muntagirov in Tchai pas - are they doing it on the stream on Friday, since we don't have Vadim's Apollo?

But Cesar Corrales with Natalia Osipova will be terrific if you've got them tonight or on Thursday.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the cast lists go online at a certain time of the day?

Looking at the Friends 2021-22 Guide it seems that this practice will continue,

if so it's the end of a tradition. It also says paper tickets will still be available by post at no extra cost🙂

Have just seen The Arts Desk review of this bill (by Jenny Gilbert) which will no doubt be in the Links tomorrow. It includes such a funny line about Osipova in Tchaikovsky pdd: 'Osipova is the kind of woman who could make toast just by looking at a slice of bread'.  😆

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I don't, no.  I know that when they started they were going up so late that it wasn't possible to print them off before travelling up for the performance, but now I've seen them online by about 4 pm.  I've no idea when they actually go up, though - and possibly they may have to be edited if there's a late cast change?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I think its between 10.30 and 11am - at least it was the only time I remembered to check during the day, before getting to ROH - but not set in stone, as someone was saying it was about 2-3 hours before curtain up...

• Like 1

So lovely seeing James Hay in DaaG last night...his partnership with Anna Rose O'Sullivan was pure joy. Yasmine Naghdi was classy throughout, and Fumi Kaneko came into her own as the Green Girl. Also very pleased to see another strong performance from Romany Pajdak as a soloist.

My first viewing of Apollo...very enjoyable, a quirky interpretation of how the Greek Gods besport themselves! Raised eyebrows of the night were for Annette Buvoli giving birth to a swaddling-wrapped, fully grown Matthew Ball😮!

Looking forward very much to seeing  this programme again tomorrow.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Slight diversion - anyone know a version of Apollo as a duet?  A report from an event with NYCB and ABT dancers in today's Links mentions what appears to be just that.

perhaps it's just an extract - the Apollo/Terpsichore duet maybe

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Slight diversion - anyone know a version of Apollo as a duet?  A report from an event with NYCB and ABT dancers in today's Links mentions what appears to be just that.

I think this is the pas de deux between Apollo and Terpsichore which is often performed at galas. I know Melissa Hamilton has performed this with Roberto Bolle as part of his Roberto and Friends tours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

So lovely seeing James Hay in DaaG last night...his partnership with Anna Rose O'Sullivan was pure joy.

Absolutely.  It had me regretting that Brick isn't a larger role.

Watching performances so close together, it was instructive to see how much my reaction on the "Alison clapometer" differed between the two casts throughout the ballet, so it's less the choreography and more the interpretation that does it for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sim said:

Thursday night for me…and Nela/Vadream tomorrow night.  My cup runneth over!  

I'm also going on Thursday and would be there tonight, too, if any cheap tickets should magically come available. Otherwise it will have to be Friday's stream for the Nela/Vadim Tchaik pas de deux - unless the Friday singles covers this Friday and there are any affordable tickets available.

• Like 1

Muntagirov bedazzled in the TPDD this evening through the veritable ease of his technical largess' majestic expanse.  With us all he shared his unalloyed joy.  The essence of such too was carried forward throughout the vast majority of tonight's DAAG.  O'Sullivan and Hay were both alluring and adorable - at one and the same time - in the encircling waltz of their wit and winsomeness ... and Reece - here perpetually celebrating the benevolent endowment of his own line - held the ever-engrossing Naghdi up to both arrest and monopolise heartfelt lustre's very core.  Together their sun rose on new birth.  No question of that.  Nor could there be any doubt that this was - in its entirety - an outing ripe with cordial capacity.  Nothing was muddied ... and that is just how it ought to be.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Sim said:

They were wonderful tonight…as were everybody else on that stage.  More tomorrow, but meanwhile I will just say that Romany Pajdak has got to dance Juliet.  Period.  

Just been discussing this with a friend on my train journey home. Couldn’t agree more

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sim said:

They were wonderful tonight…as were everybody else on that stage.  More tomorrow, but meanwhile I will just say that Romany Pajdak has got to dance Juliet.  Period.  

Yes! I can also already see her as Giselle. I know there will be a lot of potential Juliets and Giselles; but there should also be a lot of performances, and people should be cast according to their suitability for each role. She is a wonderful actress and the epitome of a Romantic ballerina.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Sim said:

More tomorrow, but meanwhile I will just say that Romany Pajdak has got to dance Juliet.  Period.  

I do agree but the RB has such a surfeit of talent that, maybe, it is the Principals who are at risk of being under-used. Dancers live for the stage, rehearsal is no substitute, and, say, a couple of Juliets for a Principal doesn’t really provide sufficient opportunity to develop an interpretation.

I don’t know, of course, but I have a sense that the audience’s thirst to see their favourites cast in this, that and the other  role might be at odds with how it feels from the perspective of dancers in the higher ranks especially.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

I do agree but the RB has such a surfeit of talent that, maybe, it is the Principals who are at risk of being under-used. Dancers live for the stage, rehearsal is no substitute, and, say, a couple of Juliets for a Principal doesn’t really provide sufficient opportunity to develop an interpretation.

I don’t know, of course, but I have a sense that the audience’s thirst to see their favourites cast in this, that and the other  role might be at odds with how it feels from the perspective of dancers in the higher ranks especially.

I remember there was a discussion in the "before times" about whether there should be some thinning out of principals dancing certain roles - it does seem that once a role such as Juliet is in a principal's repertoire they will keep dancing it until they retire, whether or not it really suits them. Maybe the thinking needs to change to allow either more junior dancers to have a crack or for dancers to have more outings in a run.

Obviously that would be a difficult discussion for the Director to have, but that's what he's paid for.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I remember there was a discussion in the "before times" about whether there should be some thinning out of principals dancing certain roles - it does seem that once a role such as Juliet is in a principal's repertoire they will keep dancing it until they retire, whether or not it really suits them. Maybe the thinking needs to change to allow either more junior dancers to have a crack or for dancers to have more outings in a run.

Obviously that would be a difficult discussion for the Director to have, but that's what he's paid for.

I take your point about ‘thinning’ but it was not that group of dancers that I had in mind. The ones I am thinking of are young and may not even have essayed a coveted role yet.

I agree that it is a difficult decision for any AD, but younger dancers, principals or not, have danced main roles before.  At the moment there are a few principals who I will not go to see as Juliet, but love them in other roles. 

What a lovely problem to have...so much talent in all ranks that it's hard to give everyone a chance.  I think Kevin O'Hare is doing a very good job at giving younger dancers roles that give them some exposure to the audiences, as well as stage experience.  Finding the right balance can't be easy.

• Like 3