Royal Ballet: Balanchine and Robbins Spring 2021

11 hours ago, Sim said:

Apollo has not been seen here for some years now, and last night's cast rekindled my love of this piece. 

Yes, it's been a (far too) long time.  The last performances I actually recall were with Federico Bonelli dancing Apollo despite some injury - was it before the operation he had?  I remember hearing that Ed Watson was covering the role (which may explain why he's been coaching it?), but he never actually got to dance it.  Can there really not have been a run of it since then?  Surely there must have been another one, because I have memories of Nunez, Galeazzi, Calvert and others as muses?

• Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, li tai po said:

Fumi Kaneko had an exceptional night, full of irrepressible fun both as Polyhymnia and as the Girl in Green - a worthy successor to Lynn Seymour and Laura Morera.

... and Leanne Benjamin?

8 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, it's been a (far too) long time.  The last performances I actually recall were with Federico Bonelli dancing Apollo despite some injury - was it before the operation he had?  I remember hearing that Ed Watson was covering the role (which may explain why he's been coaching it?), but he never actually got to dance it.  Can there really not have been a run of it since then?  Surely there must have been another one, because I have memories of Nunez, Galeazzi, Calvert and others as muses?

I last saw it in 2007 - Acosta, Bussell, Galeazzi, Nunez - though I can't say definitively if it has been done since then. 

I just hope that it will be scheduled again soon, since it has only been given before a reduced audience this time. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I last saw it in 2007 - Acosta, Bussell, Galeazzi, Nunez - though I can't say definitively if it has been done since then. 

According to Saodan's wonderful database, it was last done in 2013:

Fri, 22 Feb 2013

Opening Night

Acosta, Nunez*, Cowley*, Mendizabal*

Sat, 23 Feb 2013

Matinee

Bonelli, Hamilton* (replacing Cuthbertson), Choe*, Kobayashi*

Thu, 7 Mar 2013

Bonelli, Hamilton (replacing Cuthbertson), Choe, Kobayashi

Sat, 9 Mar 2013

Matinee

Acosta, Nunez, Cowley, Mendizabal

Thu, 14 Mar 2013

Pennefather*, Lamb*, Cowley, Mendizabal

Debuts marked with * 

https://saodan1.wixsite.com/rbcasting/ballets/apollo

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 9

It was Claire Calvert’s debut last night. She was a Handmaiden previously.

Incidentally, ENB had danced Apollo the year before its last outing with the RB (i.e. in 2012) and Vadim Muntagirov was one of the Apollos.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

Guest oncnp
Just now, Jan McNulty said:

Don't forget to check out the reviews in Today's Links.  Thanks Ian!

It was too late for today's links....

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was just reminding people that there were a number of reviews published in links ... people often forget to look and it is a very rich resource.

It's an amazing resource, Jan, and we are all so grateful to you and Ian for being our 'librarians' and so much more. Thank you again, and again.........

• Like 21

32 minutes ago, capybara said:

It's an amazing resource, Jan, and we are all so grateful to you and Ian for being our 'librarians' and so much more. Thank you again, and again.........

Thank you Capybara for your lovely comment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was just reminding people that there were a number of reviews published in links ... people often forget to look and it is a very rich resource.

I can guarantee that I am not one of those missing out! :-)

• Like 3

Thanks all for the reviews, comments, links etc. 

Looks like a beautiful bill and I hope it won't be another 8 years before Apollo is revived again! 

Feels like we're almost back to 'normal'...! How wonderful.

• Like 5

Guest oncnp

Thank you all very much for the picture and reviews. 

If anyone is still looking for tickets, my stalls seats for 10 and 13 June have gone back to the box office. 

Very good to see the show tonight. I’ll leave it to others to report on the dancers, this is just a brief note to update the critical comments I posted here last year about the Dances At A Gathering pianist Robert Clark. Based on tonight’s performance, his playing of these challenging pieces is now of a standard appropriate to Covent Garden (perhaps he had more time to prepare for this run).

I don’t withdraw what I wrote in 2020 but feel it only right to bring the record up to date. 

• Like 3

No one has mentioned Will Bracewell! A beautiful lyrical dancer who shone throughout DaaG. 

Also a happy ending for 1 * single ticket debacle. I bought 2 because I couldn't get one, invited a close colleague from work who I haven't seen for 15 months in person, and we had a wonderful evening, sharing a meal beforehand and then the ballet.   

• Like 13

Jenny Taylor that will be almost exactly my story for this Thursday! I’m going with a friend with whom used to dance together regularly but  haven’t seen in nearly two years since the group we danced with ended. It was a risk buying two tickets but I sold the other one to this friend within two hours! 
Am feeling ridiculously nervous about Thursday as haven’t been to ROH since Jan 2020 but excited at same time. 

• Like 5

Just back from a fab evening at the ROH tonight.  I had managed to bag myself a single seat at the back of the orchestra stalls and I was very pleased that I had a great view since there was only one not very tall person in the row in front and no-one else in my row!

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the show from start to finish.  I loved Apollo which, I thought was superbly danced by Muntagirov, ably supported by his lovely muses.  The highlight was the beautiful pas de deux with Muntagirov and Naghdi and I loved the solemn little bow they gave when the audience applauded at the end of it.  

As for the Tchaikovsky PDD Osipova was really on sparkling form tonight.  Reece Clarke partnered her very well but I agree that this sort of showpiece number doesn't really play to his strengths.  However, his variation still got a big cheer from the audience.

I had seen DAAG before when it was streamed, and thought it dragged on a bit, but this time, whether  it was the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh or the great cast, I unexpectedly really enjoyed it.  I particularly liked the trio of Nunez, Kaneko and particularly Hayward. Of the men Bonelli and Bracewell stood out particularly for me.

• Like 7

Apollo last night was even better than the superb standard set at the opening performance.  All enveloped the very soul of Stravinsky's music as if it were - in and of itself - an act of celebratory resurrection.  Moments in DAAG - especially when involving Morera, Kaneko, Nunez, Bonelli, Campbell and Bracewell - made the Chopin sound for all the world as it were the  most vivid plainsong known to man.  Osipova etched the Tchaikovsky with the accelerated thrill of her determined joy.  

What was disappointing for me was not the behaviour on stage - but that in the audience.  I sat (much as RobS had as he noted about his Stalls bench) in my single seat locked in on the far cusp of the of the Amphi separated by two only seats from a young couple who had their masks either off or below their chin and who - while rightfully enjoying the balletic fare - spoke and called out throughout.  I must confess I felt far from safe in these particular environs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Apollo last night was even better than the superb standard set at the opening performance.  All enveloped the very soul of Stravinsky's music as if it were - in and of itself - an act of celebratory resurrection.  Moments in DAAG - especially when involving Morera, Kaneko, Nunez, Bonelli, Campbell and Bracewell - made the Chopin sound for all the world as it were the  most vivid plainsong known to man.  Osipova etched the Tchaikovsky with the accelerated thrill of her determined joy.  

What was disappointing for me was not the behaviour on stage - but that in the audience.  I sat (much as RobS had as he noted about his Stalls bench) in my single seat locked in on the far cusp of the of the Amphi separated by two only seats from a young couple who had their masks either off or below their chin and who - while rightfully enjoying the balletic fare - spoke and called out throughout.  I must confess I felt far from safe in these particular environs.  

That's dreadful Bruce!

When I was at The Lowry last week I noticed the ushers approaching various people in the auditorium (not during the performance) asking them to wear their masks properly.

• Like 3

I totally agree, Janet.  There was no usher present in the Upper Amphitheatre area - much as there hadn't been the other evening during the opening performance of this fine triple bill.  When this couple got up and began to go out during the pause between Apollo and the TPDD the ROH usher on the lower amphi level called out to them that this was 'just a pause'.  Neither had a mask on at that point.  Nothing was done to rectify that situation.

I have decided that if this happens again I'm simply going to go and stand at the back.  It's quite clear that in such a situation as was present at the ROH last night you are left to simply take your life in your own hands and protect yourself.    I was relieved that I had chosen to double mask myself - much as I always do on public transport.  In this case it certainly was proven to be prudent to do so.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

I work as a volunteer usher at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea and we are instructed, (whilst not disrupting the performance) to ask people to keep their masks on at all times. Is it perhaps a little too difficult for the ushers to see everyone in the amphitheatre? Anyway it was very poor behaviour by these audience members and I hope it didn’t distract you too much from the wonders going on on stage. 

• Like 1

Further to my post above the ROH puts not only the safety of the public but itself at risk (from fines or even worse) by not having enough staff to keep an eye on what is going on in any particular area.  At Cadogan Hall since their reopening they've had to take on extra staff because of the Covid rules, whilst having a greatly reduced income from tickets.  They're lucky that unlike the ROH they can rely on volunteers but the ROH has a lot of sponsorship and surely they can afford to take on extra staff (for what will hopefully be a short time) in order to try and ensure everyone's safety.

Edited by Nina99

51 minutes ago, LinMM said:

If I was that worried that I might pick the virus up by going to the theatre I wouldn’t go to be honest though realise this view may not be popular. 

I totally agree, Lin.  If I were that scared that I thought I was 'taking my life into my own hands' I wouldn't leave the house.  Personally I think the ROH is doing a great job, and if anything being too cautious, but of course they are following guidelines.  I just can't understand how everyone thinks the virus won't fly out of your mouth/nose when you are sitting down talking and eating, but it will when you are walking around a venue, or sitting still in an auditorium.  Strange.   

• Like 8

I normally have to take my glasses off when wearing a mask and walking from shop to shop etc. I was very pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive I found my mask when watching the rehearsal the other day and also on the three + hour train journey. Certainly no misting from the mask. Dances at a Gathering another story as I find it so deeply affecting.

Sorry - this has crossed when Alison was setting up a separate thread.

Edited by JohnS
Now wrong thread
  • Like 3