Age to start auditions

Beezie

Any thoughts on the age to start auditions? And how to set expectations for younger children?

We have avoided schools and programs that require auditions.  I worry that there is a big genetic component that will be evaluated, which my daughter cannot control.  (Ie banana feet, hyper extension, flat turnout.) 

However, at 9-10, we are finding more and more programs that require auditions.  

How do you manage audition expectations with a young child?  I struggle to explain that there are physical characteristics that are part of the evaluation which she cannot control.  Every time I try this in my mind, it either seems like it has the potential to kill her motivation or lead to body issues.  However, it also seems a bit unfair to avoid this topic all together.  Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Beezie said:

Any thoughts on the age to start auditions? And how to set expectations for younger children?

We have avoided schools and programs that require auditions.  I worry that there is a big genetic component that will be evaluated, which my daughter cannot control.  (Ie banana feet, hyper extension, flat turnout.) 

However, at 9-10, we are finding more and more programs that require auditions.  

How do you manage audition expectations with a young child?  I struggle to explain that there are physical characteristics that are part of the evaluation which she cannot control.  Every time I try this in my mind, it either seems like it has the potential to kill her motivation or lead to body issues.  However, it also seems a bit unfair to avoid this topic all together.  Any thoughts?

It is difficult...but they aren't expecting perfection at that age...they do look for certain attributes but they wouldn't expect a 9 or 10 year old to have all the qualities. Often it's more about potential at this age.  Our daughter had nos for her JA audition year 4 then another no year 5 for another scheme. She is now is off to vocational school! I think the nos helped make her more resilient and she worked on those areas that weren't so strong (for her it was turnout and flexibility). I suppose it depends what you want really, whether it's ballet for fun or whether your daughter wants to dance more seriously. There are some schemes which are very very competitive, and others where although you have to audition, it seems most get in. I don't really want to name names here 😀. If you want a bit of extra training i wouldn't let the audition process put you off...maybe chat to your dance teacher about potential and they can point you towards the right schemes to apply for, which might be right for your DD? When my daughter first applied I just said it is very competitive so let's just have a lovely day together...we made audition days fun one on one times together. Good luck to your DD xxx 

• Like 5

Hyperextension, flat turnout and banana feet are absolutely not requirements at 9 or 10; not only that but they all bring their own disadvantages (propensity to injury, lack of strength, and so on).  

Potential, love of dance and very good basic technique are more important at this age - it’s only really the Royal Ballet School that places such importance on physical facility, leg to torso proportions etc.  A good place to start would be something like English Youth Ballet; they’re not concerned with physical appearance, they look for children who have an appropriate ballet “vocabulary” for their age, with nice technique, who love dancing and enjoy performing.  At the moment I believe their auditions are still video submissions which are probably easier for children who may be worried about auditioning.

If auditioning for selective associate schemes where the audition takes the form of a class, I always encouraged my dd to just enjoy the experience of taking class with a different teacher in a different studio.  Like Raquelle, we always had something nice planned too; shopping, a nice meal, a visit to a museum etc. to make it a nice day out.  Don’t put too much importance on the result, if it’s a “yes”, then great, but if it’s a “no”, it doesn’t mean a “never”; it’s usually that there are too many lovely dancers for only a few spaces.   Make sure your child has their own warm up routine set by their teacher and definitely ignore any “competitive stretching” done by other children in the waiting room.  

If your child is hoping for an eventual career in dance, the more auditions they do, the better, to get them used to the process, the yeses and the inevitable “no thank you”s which all dancers face at some point.   Even if not, and they just want to pursue dance as a serious hobby, auditions will be good practice for later life; uni interviews and so on. 

• Like 8

I think most don’t take no’s too much to heart when they see the sheer volume of other children at auditions. I remember talking numbers with DD at her first JA audition and likened being offered a place to getting Willy Wonka’s Golden Ticket!! 

• Like 5

We are actually not in the UK.  We’re in continental Europe at the moment.  Some schools have open auditions.  However unfortunately, quite a few schools don’t do an open audition at this age.  They have some form of evaluation, either 1:1 or in a class.  Then they will offer you a spot, based on skill level and availability.  Maybe some goods and bads to this.  Sometimes, I hear it is just logistics.  Your dancing may be fine, but they just don’t have space in the level in which you were assessed.   However, I think it also feels more personal to the child too, as they don’t see all the other kids who may be trying out.

Maybe the explanation is just “We try a couple places and see if they have room.”  Maybe I shouldn’t even paint it as an audition, per se.

• Like 1

I wonder if it might also be a good idea to explain that - perhaps especially if evaluation is done 1:1 - it is as much an opportunity for your daughter to see whether she enjoys the experience and would like to be taught in that way (and whether you get the right ‘vibes’ from the way she is treated) as it is for the school/scheme to decide whether they want to offer her a place. I know she is young and inexperienced but I think we sometimes forget that an audition - or evaluation or interview - is a two-way process. 

I would definitely second the suggestion that an audition or evaluation is seen as a lovely day out, to take class with a new teacher in new surroundings and possibly then to go out for a meal or to shop etc. Then a ‘yes’, although lovely, is not the be all and end all. 

• Like 2

Hello Beezie,

Depending upon where you are in Europe, there may be auditions for certain schools that have programs linked to official courses and therefore a quota. I know that where I live, certain schools have government paid places for vocational students, that are linked to the education program and school day, and grades count towards school reports. For a place , commitment is required for a fixed term and there is no dropping out if enthusiasm wanes.These would generally in my country be post aged 10.

Sometimes  others announce 'auditions' just to assess level to age in order to fit the child in the right group for age, physical or knowledge characteristics. Other schools will just admit for age or grade without tests. Some have capacity always and others are sought after for the limited places. But , it looks good on your publicity if you offer 'auditions'. 

Sometimes your DC  has to 'try a few classes' to see if it feels comfortable as much as they might be choosing your DC too.  And after that, its the logistics as a parent-taxi driver that count....oh, and cost!

• Like 2

Have you had a chat with her dance teacher about this? Ideally out of your daughter's earshot. The teacher may advise that she simply enjoys ballet as a hobby, or they may have suggestions regarding suitable places for her to try. The teacher might also offer additional classes if they think they would be beneficial.

Please don't get hung up on the 'ideal' physique. At your daughter's age (and especially pre-puberty) it is often impossible to tell how they will develop physically anyway. Some youngsters might have the 'perfect' body but they might not have any sense of rhythm or performance, or they might not have sufficient talent or ability. The drive, ambition and determination to take things further has to come from within the dancer too. 

I agree with others about the idea of it being a fun day out dancing somewhere new. At that age, whenever my dd did exams or auditions I would always give her a small 'well done' present immediately afterwards. Something totally unconnected with dance, like a keyring or small book (or even a visit to McDonalds on the way home). 🙂

• Like 4

All great suggestions!  Thank you!  

Taxi4ballet - Haha, we are navigating some language gaps.  The teacher knows we will have a conflict with next year’s schedule and my daughters school, and will do what she can….but no real ability to have an in-depth discussion.

So if it works out with the current studio, then we are perfect.  However, now is the time to look at alternatives too, as back-up

Lusodancer-Yes, there are studios that always have space, but classical dance may not be the focus.…hence thinking about navigating some of the schools that want auditions, try-outs or whatever they are called.  This would be the schools that are a little more sought after.  

…and someone else mentioned fit from my daughter’s perspective too.  Yes!  Agree!  I cannot lose sight of that!  

@Beezieit sounds to me as if you are looking to move schools because the schedule at your current school doesn't work for you.  

I don't think it is unusual for schools to want students to 'try out' to join at 9 or 10, and I think that's simply to make sure that the student will be able to fit in, to assess which class the student needs to be placed in to make sure they are out of their depth.

It works both ways - it gives you a chance to see if the school works for you as well.

I would treat it as a 'trial class' and I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea that they are looking for physical attributes at this age.

• Like 3

When my DD was small (from age of 6 approx.) and her main interest was musical theatre/ commercial dance she auditioned for everything that we came across, just so she gets the feeling of the process. It was great day out for both of us, she made new friends, me new mums for coffee and as a treat she had cake and Frappuccino from Starbuck. This was highlight of the day 😄 When we opened ‘yes’ envelope – great, we have enjoyed the experience and I got to drink loads and loads of coffee while waiting for her. If she got the ‘no’ letter, she just binned it and I got glad that I no need to be taxi mum.
This taught her to accept "no's" and move on without many tears or too much dwelling for days. When she decided to drop everything and pursue her love for ballet at age of 8, again the same process. We have auditioned for things that she was not even interested in. She wanted to see how she "compares" to outside world and getting used to the audition pressure and preparation. She is olive brown (Latino descent) and she was clear from the start that some auditions or productions she will not be chosen for the main role and even in the lining up, they have been lined up from blonds to the olive skin ones. It was quite amusing to watch.

When it came to ballet auditions at later stage she was well equipped mentally to deal with the process, could not care less and was not intimidated by children coming in school branded tracksuits or kids that performed ridiculous stretching in the hall as a part of their warming up. She has learned a lot from it. She has also learned that some well social media followed girls look good on still photographs, however when it comes to dance…that is another story. I am somehow happy that even now at age of 18 she does not have social media account and is not interested at all in current tricks and other trends going on. Ballet world is very small, girl’s gets to know each other from social media, summer schools, seminars or productions…it’s easy to get intimidated. Me as Mum, I found ballet more stressful, than musical theatre auditions.

When it came to US auditions, she wanted to apply also for schools she was not interested to take offer from, but again she wanted to get into the swing of it, when it came to audition for school she had her eyes on. She took them as a ‘warm up round’. When she got the ‘yes’ it was little booster for her.

Now her attitude when she receives rejection is simply “it’s their loss” and she continues in her journey. My story short…I exposed her to the highs and lows from early age so she is well equipped emotionally to the cruel world. See what makes your daughter calmer, set routine, and make it fun. My daughter was more excited about the one night hotel stay and unlimited breakfast than audition itself.

• Like 5

My daughter did her first audition age 8. It was a lovely experience as we went with friends and made a day of it. We explained ahead that there were lots of people applying and the experience was the main thing. If she got it great but looking at the numbers there would be a lot more no’s than yes’s and to be honest by the time the results came she’d pretty much forgotten about it. But oh was she so much more confident for the next (and the next, and the next...). The issue of explaining about body shape etc comes much later and actually our daughter understands that, i think, in a very healthy way. She never thinks that she has the ‘wrong’ shape just that she wasn’t what those people were looking for on the day. At the next one she might be (and has been). It’s all in how you communicate it and don’t build it up too much or make too big a thing of it. 

• Like 2