Royal Ballet Principal dancers Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball in conversation with Raffaello Morales

I really enjoyed this interview. I was struck by how both of them were talking as much to each other as to the interviewer, and listening to and supporting each other as they spoke, which was so touching. They both speak very interestingly about the fact that their bodies are their instruments, and the challenge of dealing with that on a daily basis both in terms of physicality and artistry. Their commitment and dedication to the art form is so impressive and you get a real sense of the intensity which with dancers must live in order to make the most of their comparatively short careers. I'm so glad that they have found avenues to express their creativity in the last year and I hope they get many opportunities to do so in the years to come.

• Like 4

What a great interview! 

I think what stuck to me the most during it was a sense o true partnership between Matthew and Mayara, they are very in tune with each other. Indeed a lovely couple ! It’s interesting how they pointed out that it was during lockdown that they really got to develop this exciting new stage partnership too (for the Royal Ballet and personal projects) .

Having seen them dancing together twice during the ROH online streams, I truly hope they are more often cast together now that life is slowly getting back to a certain normal at the Royal Ballet. They showed such incredible chemistry in the two pieces shown, “Within the Golden Hour” (they’re  still have my favourite interpretation of that pdd) and “Carrousel”, that made me wish we had more of them on the streams overall.

Given the many opportunities for debuts next season where Magri will be a Principal with the company, I expect a few of them to hopefully be shared with Ball, maybe R&J or Giselle. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ingrid said:

Given the many opportunities for debuts next season where Magri will be a Principal with the company, I expect a few of them to hopefully be shared with Ball, maybe R&J or Giselle. 

I have everything crossed that they'll get to do R&J together.

• Like 1