Birmingham Ballet Company (not BRB!)

DancingShoes

I've had a look at the website and it doesn't give any personnel details whatsoever.

As a minimum I would ask for details of the faculty.

By comparison, I've looked at EYB, NYB and London Children's Ballet and they all list their faculty members.

I would agree with Jewel about IG handles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've had a look at the website and it doesn't give any personnel details whatsoever.

As a minimum I would ask for details of the faculty.

By comparison, I've looked at EYB, NYB and London Children's Ballet and they all list their faculty members.

I would agree with Jewel about IG handles.

Hidden in teensy tiny print in one of the policy documents is the statement that Kate, Penelope & Alex Frost are all licensed chaperones. Having googled their names it appears they are the owner/teachers at Penelope's Dance Studio registered at the same address as Birmingham Ballet Company.

58 minutes ago, Jewel said:

Hidden in teensy tiny print in one of the policy documents is the statement that Kate, Penelope & Alex Frost are all licensed chaperones. Having googled their names it appears they are the owner/teachers at Penelope's Dance Studio registered at the same address as Birmingham Ballet Company.

I was trying to remember where I'd seen BBCo mentioned on Instagram and it was on Kate Frost Photography's page - which makes sense now reading the above!

Isn't it funny how subtle marketing has to be.  I find myself put off by the slickness of the website.  

As others have said, I would be wary that the faculty is not listed, and there is no indication of the costs (although there is a link to their online shop which shows the price of the mandatory uniform).

But all of these things don't mean that there's anything wrong with the scheme...it just doesn't tell you much about it.

Maybe someone on the forum has experience of Penelope's Dance Studios and can shed some like.  It looks as if it is a long established RAD dance school.

• 10 months later...

They called me when I sent an initial enquiry, the dates didn’t work for us so we didn’t end up applying. The rehearsals are 3 days in May half term (the first Sunday and Monday, then the last Sunday), a catch up weekend in the middle of July, a week’s intensive at the beginning of August then final rehearsals and performances at the beginning of September. We’ve not had any experience of the company personally so can’t comment on that but they seemed very friendly on the phone! 

• Like 1

My dd danced with them last year. You get amazing photographs form kate frost. And they really nurture each student. Last year it was all a bit last minute but it’s good they’ve given the dates already this year. They will work around you too so if you can’t make a rehearsal that’s ok. 
I would recommend the company as my dd gained a lot. 

• Like 3

I find it very difficult to understand exactly what is involved, we have been sent the audition pack but I still can’t seem to find the total cost anywhere. I also think it would be so very helpful if they could publish the rehearsal schedule on their website instead of just giving it over the phone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Medora said:

I find it very difficult to understand exactly what is involved, we have been sent the audition pack but I still can’t seem to find the total cost anywhere. I also think it would be so very helpful if they could publish the rehearsal schedule on their website instead of just giving it over the phone. 

This is why we didn’t go forward with it last year - couldn’t get any definite details out of them, everything was a bit vague and the lack of an upfront cost was off putting!! Shame because it sounds like a lovely experience. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Medora said:

Disappointing that it's not included. After posting here I did receive a response to my email - I was directed to the register for an audition pack form! 😂

We ended up not applying. I’m sure it’s a lovely opportunity but personally I just didn’t feel up to chasing them again for more info. I assumed the audition pack had all the relevant info, which it didn’t, and as we had a busy week I decided to drop it. 

If anyone ends up going I hope you will enjoy it. Please let us know how it went!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 21/04/2022 at 14:58, BalletMummy123 said:

Well we have sent an online application - still not sure if we can definitely do it but if I hear any more definite details about it I will post! Xxx

Hi 

did you end up doing this? We have received an application pack for this year but no definitive dates for the intensive or costs etc 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experience of Birmingham Ballet Company? My Child has been offered a place in their Summer Recital this year which is very exciting.

However, I am trying to understand the dates for training & performance. I am struggling to get hold of anyone within the company.

Would love to hear from anyone that has trained with them in prior years & their experiences.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Birmingham Ballet Company (not BRB!)