Fairly new to Ballet; she feels she needs more

Katymac

Strong ballet technique, technique, technique is what we are told!!

My dd is 12 and isn't sure about the future but does love her dancing and may want to pursue it as a career. She is definately an "all rounder" but stongest in ballet - but also loves modern, jazz and contemporary. She tried both tap and singing/musical theatre when younger but didn't love them enough so stopped - her teachers have said she can think about taking them up again later if she wants to audition at 16 - 18.

She is currently doing two Grade 6 ballet classes a week, two interfoundation classes (just about to take her exam) and one intermediate class to dance up a level as well as pointe, istd inter foundation modern and grade 6 modern, silver jazz, a free contemporary class and 2 freework/festival/scholar ballet classes per week!! Her teachers think she has a lot of potential and facility but all the time they talk about ballet technique is what will be required if and when she wants to audition at 16 - 18 for the top schools. She had no interest in leaving home to go to vocational school in year 7 and luckily we have such strong sound local training (ex rbs associate teachers, National Youth Ballet mistress) at her dance school here in essex this is where she will be for the time being - I am exhausted running her around and it is hard juggling her timetable with homework etc - and she'd do more if she could but finances and family life won't allow at the moment!

I have to say though that quality teaching is better than quantity ie better to have less classes with a really good, caring, knowledgable inspiring teacher than lots of classes if her interest and passion isn't there!

• Like 4